XTAP59 is offline Coordinator

Fractured Fairy Tales

Go Blow Your Horn

Little boy blue, go blow your horn.

Chad 85 of the Cincinnati Bengals threatened to blow the Viking horn when he scored a touchdown against the Vikings this Sunday. Alas, he had the wrong fairy tale dialed up. Perhaps Old Mother Hubbard would have been a more correct choice as the Vikings defeated the Bengals 30-10 caging quarterback Carson Palmer to a paltry 94 yards passing.

The rest is at Viking Thunder at the following link
    Vikings Defeat Bengals 30-10
    or you can just continue reading below.

Meanwhile, back in reality land, Brett Favre had a typical Brett Favre day. To paraphrase Dennis Green, He was who we thought he was. For eleven weeks, Brett Favre was spectacular, playing at an MVP level. At forty years old, that is not natural. All year fans, foes, and the media were waiting for the hammer to fall. However, the Vikings are 11-2 with a two game lead over the Packers and own the tie breaker. One more win and they are NFC North champs. If this was the hammer falling, it hit the nail on the head. Seriously, Favre was on pace for his best season ever, at age forty, with a new team. That is unheard of.

I feel much more confident now with Antoine Winfield back in the line up. With his all pro run support and cover skills the Vikings defense held Carson to under 100 yards passing and just over 200 yards in total offense. Winfield ended the day with 9 tackles and one forced fumble. This accomplishment is even more astounding because two rookies started on Sunday. Brinkley at linebacker and Sanford at Safety.

It was good to see Adrian Peterson not fumble the ball this week. Come on now, you hold your breath every time he gets the ball just like me. Not just because he can take it to the house, but he can also drop the ball on the carpet at any given play as well. I loved those flat passes to him.

ATTENTION coach Childress: More of those passes to Peterson please.

Percy Harvin was out, due to migraine headaches. He was sorely missed as evidenced of the drop off in passing production. With Harvin floating around, it opens up the lanes for Berrian and Rice.

Switching gears, the Vikings have earned a playoff spot. not home field advantage, not division title, just a playoff spot. The Vikings travel to Carolina next Sunday and I feel this will be one hell of a contest. I realize the Panthers are 5-8, and are out of the playoffs. However, what better way to jump-start the franchise then to put a pasting on the visiting Vikings and Brett Favre on national television. Especially if the Packers lose to the Steelers earlier in the day. Dont bring your Randy Moss game Sunday Vikings, bring your A game.

Speaking of fairy tales, the Vikings are 11-2 and steam rolling to a division title and playoff bye week with a 40-year-old gunslinger from Green Bay, a hated rival, who is having an almost MVP type year, and yet, we only beat 4 good teams this year. One of them twice. That has me worried Viking fans.

Keep in mind we lost to both teams in the Super bowl last year. Our only two losses. But look at who we did beat.
    Cleveland, Detroit, and San Francisco, all three teams with losing records. At the time we played them and currently.

Next in week four, Vikings defeated Green Bay, a confrontation of Favres former team, where he was a living legend. That is the first team with a winning percentage.

Next were the Rams. They cant even get a birth in a BCS bowl game. And then Baltimore, on the cusp of a good team, and as of today, still technically in the hunt for a playoff wild card spot, but in reality, for them to achieve this, they must hope for three plane crashes. So that is two good teams we have beaten this year.

Next, we lost to the Steelers, who at this point, are completely out of the playoffs but they were Super Bowl champs last year.

Than back to Green Bay. An emotional return of the prodigal son, Brett Favre, to Lambeau field. Vikings win and that is three good teams they have beaten.

Detroit, Seattle, and Chicago were up next, all three teams with losing records.

Then onto the debacle in the desert where Warner dissected the Vikings defense and held Peterson in check to the tune of 19 yards on 13 carries. And picked off Favre twice.

And just this past Sunday, Vikings defeat the AFC Central leading Bengals. A dominating game holding Palmer to under 100 yards passing. A very good win.

That makes four wins against teams with winning records.

To end this weeks update, I know what is on every Viking fans mind. What happens if the Vikings win the Super Bowl and Nostradamus credited for his clairvoyant abilities. Will Brett Favre retire and ride out-of-town hoisting the Super Bowl trophy laughing at the Packers for letting him go? Or will we be subjected to yet another fairy tale.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

SKOL VIKINGS!

LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL
    http://lotgk.wordpress.com

molineviking is offline Asst. Coach

Re:Fractured Fairy Tales

Another good post X, (Just going with X-Like Malcom) Some good points although I'm a little tired of the "We haven't played anyone" discussion, we've got 3 wins over 9 win teams, Colts have 0, Saints have 1 (Eagles)

Winfield made a huge difference, If not only for personal stats, But his presence brings out the best in our secondary, Palmer had what-92 yards? Thats crazy!

Completely agree on AP needing more short passes, He's most dangerous once he's in the open, His receptions have increased in all of his 3 years.

If we win the Super Bowl, I'll be in a trans like state with a huge smile stuck on my face for 4-5 months, So I'm not sure who'll be our QB.
    Even if the Vikings lose, I can still find happiness in Bears, and Packer losses.

molineviking wrote:
    Another good post X, (Just going with X-Like Malcom) Some good points although I'm a little tired of the "We haven't played anyone" discussion, we've got 3 wins over 9 win teams, Colts have 0, Saints have 1 (Eagles)
    Thank you and agree on strength of schedule concerning Colts and Saints. I'm just worried as to what happened last year, getting crushed by the Eagles.

About if we win, the great pumpkin doesn't like the word IF,
    So, when we win, I as well will be in a daze for months basking in the glory of a super bowl win.

Skol Vikings

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

decent article.

One thing
    And just this past Sunday, Vikings defeat the AFC Central leading Bengals.
    no more AFC central

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    decent article.

One thing
    And just this past Sunday, Vikings defeat the AFC Central leading Bengals.
    no more AFC central
    Yea, living in the past.
    Jethro Tull was a good band..

AFC North....

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Verry nicely writen