Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Fox NFL Blitz report - the 3-4

Team Report: Inside Slant

Inside Slant | Notes and Quotes | Strategy and Personnel
    Looking for any positives in a season filled with disappointments, Vikings coaches came away from Sunday's 28-3 loss in Chicago pointing to the play of the defense.

Coordinator Ted Cottrell went with a 3-4 alignment for 98 percent of the game, largely because the Vikings were so thin on the line. Starting left defensive end Kenechi Udeze is out for the season after having knee surgery and backup Spencer Johnson also at out because of a knee injury.

That caused the Vikings to begin working with a 3-4 in practice last week after they returned from the bye. Not wanting to give away their secret, the Vikings went through pre-game warm-ups in a 4-3 and even had end Lance Johnstone on the field just before the first snap. Johnstone ran off at the last second as the additional linebacker took his place.

Bears quarterback Kyle Orton passed for only 117 yards and Chicago rushed for 95 yards as a team. While the Bears scored 28 points, one touchdown came after Daunte Culpepper's interception was returned to the Minnesota 3, and another was set up when Culpepper was sacked on his own 1-yard line when the Vikings went for it on fourth-and-9 from their own 12 late in the fourth quarter.

The alignment featured Kevin Williams and Darrion Scott at the ends and Pat Williams at nose tackle. Raonall Smith and Keith Newman, both new to the starting lineup, joined Sam Cowart and E.J. Henderson as the linebackers.

Pat Williams thrived in the 3-4, finishing tied for the team lead with seven tackles and also forcing a fumble. The performance was all the more impressive because it came against Chicago's standout center Olin Kreutz.

"Pat Williams played one of the best games that I have ever seen a nose tackle play," Vikings coach Mike Tice said.

It remains unclear when Johnson will return, meaning the Vikings could continue to use the 3-4 as their primary look. "I don't know that right now we have much choice, because we don't have anybody else and there is nobody on the street who is going to come in and play at the level of the guys that we have," Tice said.

"I like what we did yesterday to be honest with you. I know we allowed 28 points, but I think they had one drive of one yard, one drive of three yards and then that 50-yard drive. As I look at the overall defense yesterday, there were a lot more good things than there were bad things for probably the first time than the New Orleans game."
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

Del Rio Guest

Re: Fox NFL Blitz report - the 3-4

The 3-4 can work if your nose tackle plays like Pat did all the time. It was fun to watch.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Fat Pat played a great game. I'd also like to see Kevin Williams come off of the end a little more though.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Mr Williams was fantastic on sunday. the 3-4 mgiht work against the packers as well. they like to run and control the ball on offense. i think we will need more pressure to be created. blitzing 5 of the 8 in the box should be a good plan. and if two of those are linebackers, lots of stunts will be able to be played and they will be coming at farve from all over.
    We're bringing purple back.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I like this. It leaves the opposition to have to prepare for both a 4-3 and a 3-4. We could easily drop into either setup with erasmus on the end or Keith Newman as the extra LB. Let's hope it confuses the hell out of the fudge packers.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"ltrey33" wrote:
    Fat Pat played a great game. I'd also like to see Kevin Williams come off of the end a little more though.
    He got his 1 sack (or was it 1/2 of a sack) off of the 3-4... He looks like an OK end surprisingly. I like this 3-4.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Transitioning this team to a 3-4 in the season could be a trainwreck.

I would not do this.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I love the 3-4.. If we can play like we did last Sunday im all for it.. We don't get much pressure as it is anyway.. So add in another backer to stop the run.. We actually kept Jones in check.. And he had like 3 or 4 straight 100 yard games.. If we can get used to the 3-4 im all for it.. K-will should play end.. Pat in the middle.. Mix in Rasmus, Johnstone, and Spencer too!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

In a 3-4 your line is just taking a block and you have to rely on your LB's a lot more.

Is this what we want to do?

Hitstick31 is offline Rookie

WE need Napoleon and Raonall playing outside with Ej and sam inside!!! WE need more speed from our linebackers!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast