Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Four Downs: NFC North

Minnesota Vikings: What is the Timetable for Recovery?
    The Vikings start over in 2011 under new coach Leslie Frazier, new offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave, and a new quarterback, possibly a rookie. But before you say "rebuilding year," take a look at the roster. Tackles Pat Williams and Kevin Williams turn 39 and 31, respectively, next season. Guard Steve Hutchinson and cornerback Antoine Winfield will turn 34. The Vikings were built to win in 2010, and many important veterans don't have time to wait through a rebuilding cycle.

Grabbing a veteran quarterback like Vince Young and gearing up for a quick turnaround may sound appealing to the Vikings, but that quick-fix mentality led to the Brett Favre-Randy Moss catastrophe, which swallowed the season. Frazier and management must take a long-range view. The Williams Wall has been cracking for years -- opponent rushing totals have increased in each of the last five seasons, from 985 in 2006 to 1,635 last year.

The Vikings have problems that that go beyond the need for a better quarterback and better manners toward caterers. Pat Williams is a free agent and should be allowed to walk. Young would cost the Vikings an early round draft choice better spent on a defensive tackle or interior offensive lineman.

As for that pesky quarterback problem, free agent Tarvaris Jackson is viable stopgap and rookie groomer. He is used to playing the good soldier while getting yanked in and out of the lineup. Joe Webb proved he can play make-believe Michael Vick for the scout team and provide trick-play potential as a receiver, but the talk of him competing for a starting job is just talk. The Vikings have not taken quarterback development seriously since Daunte Culpepper faded. Jackson proved he wasn't the answer in 2007, but the team fiddled with Brad Johnson, Gus Frerotte, and finally Favre rather than grooming a long-term solution. It's time for the Vikings to make some harsh decisions about veterans, invest in a Cam Newton or Jake Locker, and deal with a year or two of growing pains. In other words, it's time for the Vikings to rebuild.
    Four Downs: NFC North

I could have put this in "General Discussion" forum as it talks about all 4 North teams, but we will only talk about the Vikings anyway, so I put it here. Mods can move it if they like.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Four Downs: NFC North

What is all of this " Built to win in 2010 "talk?:laugh:

As stated before I am going out on a limb I rarely climb and am jumping on the bandwagon of a rookie QB named Ricky Stanzi as our future QB. This can be cut and pasted back into a thread in the future to rebuke me if he doesn't pan out but I really like the guys fire and competitive spirit and he looks like he has the build and the arm to take it to the next level.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091323
    What is all of this " Built to win in 2010 "talk?:laugh:
    I thought you would like that. Again, as I said, I readily admit that when we started to get away from the "Build through the draft", "Resign our key players", "Sign Vets coming off first contract" model they were following leading up to 2009 they got away from building for the long run and to remain competitive all the time and shift to the "win now" mentality.

Its part of the premise behind my logic in alot of opinions that center around the Ownership groups shift in mentality to appeas fans instead of followoing what the "Football Guys" would have been recommending.

As stated before I am going out on a limb I rarely climb and am jumping on the bandwagon of a rookie QB named Ricky Stanzi as our future QB. This can be cut and pasted back into a thread in the future to rebuke me if he doesn't pan out but I really like the guys fire and competitive spirit and he looks like he has the build and the arm to take it to the next level.
    I wasn't looking at the kid much, but after that article I posted about the cat with the new process or projecting QB's, I'm on board with him. Also haven't completely written off Kaepernick or Mallet head right now either.

For some sneaky reason, I can't help but get the feeling our first pick in this draft will be Mallet. If its not him, then they will probably look at Kap or Stanzi next.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091326
    I thought you would like that.
    I thought you might have had a touch of floyd on the mind when you posted that lol.

Again, as I said, I readily admit that when we started to get away from the "Build through the draft", "Resign our key players", "Sign Vets coming off first contract" model they were following leading up to 2009 they got away from building for the long run and to remain competitive all the time and shift to the "win now" mentality.
    I would just say that signing guys off their first contract is hard on the salary cap over time and we needed to do a better job of finding players and developing them to add depth to the roster. IMHO we missed on too many players compared to what the top teams in the league were doing.

Its part of the premise behind my logic in alot of opinions that center around the Ownership groups shift in mentality to appeas fans instead of followoing what the "Football Guys" would have been recommending.
    I am not necessarily on board with that notion.

I wasn't looking at the kid much, but after that article I posted about the cat with the new process or projecting QB's, I'm on board with him. Also haven't completely written off Kaepernick or Mallet head right now either.
    I had a bit of time so I went back through all of the video i could find on the top guys and stanzi just plain stood out to me from a composure and competitive standpoint. I as looking at things like how they ran the huddle, how they interacted with their team mates and how the ball looked coming out as well as their movement in the pocket. He stood out. Mallet looked good to honestly but didn't seem to have the swagger factor. Kaepernick looked like he was pretty raw and I am not sure he would give us a step in the right direction as compared to Webb, who we already have on staff.

For some sneaky reason, I can't help but get the feeling our first pick in this draft will be Mallet. If its not him, then they will probably look at Kap or Stanzi next.
    Yeah. I can live with that but if Jones is still there at 12 i would love to see us grab him and then take Stanzi in the 2nd. If we do take Mallet i hope they really look hard at his fire and desire to compete and put in the time before they pull the trigger.