Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Oct. 8: Running backs hold the answer

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    I forgot to add that this is an excellent article by a former Viking's coach with some very good ideas. (At least they sound that way to me.)
    Would have been nice if the actual NAME of the coach was in the article anyplace.

So, after doing some research, I see that the coach in question is Dean Dalton.
    Under his brilliant leadership (the 4 seasons he spent as the Vikings' RB coach) the Vikings were:

2005:
    27th in total rushing, 24th in rushing TDs
    2004:
    18th in total rushing, 29th in rushing TDs
    2003:
    4th in total rushing, 12th in rushing TDs
    2002:
    1st in total rushing, 2nd in TDs

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/minindex.htm

So, basically, in the first year, after he inherited Denny Green's personnel, he kept the RBs at the top of the NFL.
    And then, his awesome coaching slowly drained all of the life from the Vikings running attack until they were bottom of the NFL barrel when he was fired along with the rest of Tice's staff.

Of course, all of the incompetents become brilliant once they actually don't have to produce results.
    Just some food for thought....

In 2004 we had more passing touchdowns, attempts and yards than any other team in the NFL with the exception of the Colts, which would suggest we weren't running the ball much? Onterrio Smith also averaged 5.4 yards a carry that year, so I wouldn't say that it was a COMPLETE bust from the running back position.

In 2005, Johnson was quarterbacking the team, meaning you could take all of Daunte's 400+ yards and several touchdowns (usual) out of the equation.

Just two reasons that the decline might be unrelated to the running backs coach specifically.
    By the same token, this arrogant prick Dalton gives NO credit for the running attack to the passing attack, led by Culpepper and Moss.

=Z=
    LMAO! I found the article interesting to say the least. But if this guy is actually Dean Dalton, all bets are off.
    No wonder they tried to keep it confidential.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Oct. 8: Running backs hold the answer

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    I forgot to add that this is an excellent article by a former Viking's coach with some very good ideas. (At least they sound that way to me.)
    Would have been nice if the actual NAME of the coach was in the article anyplace.

So, after doing some research, I see that the coach in question is Dean Dalton.
    Under his brilliant leadership (the 4 seasons he spent as the Vikings' RB coach) the Vikings were:

2005:
    27th in total rushing, 24th in rushing TDs
    2004:
    18th in total rushing, 29th in rushing TDs
    2003:
    4th in total rushing, 12th in rushing TDs
    2002:
    1st in total rushing, 2nd in TDs

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/minindex.htm

So, basically, in the first year, after he inherited Denny Green's personnel, he kept the RBs at the top of the NFL.
    And then, his awesome coaching slowly drained all of the life from the Vikings running attack until they were bottom of the NFL barrel when he was fired along with the rest of Tice's staff.

Of course, all of the incompetents become brilliant once they actually don't have to produce results.
    Just some food for thought....

In 2004 we had more passing touchdowns, attempts and yards than any other team in the NFL with the exception of the Colts, which would suggest we weren't running the ball much? Onterrio Smith also averaged 5.4 yards a carry that year, so I wouldn't say that it was a COMPLETE bust from the running back position.

In 2005, Johnson was quarterbacking the team, meaning you could take all of Daunte's 400+ yards and several touchdowns (usual) out of the equation.

Just two reasons that the decline might be unrelated to the running backs coach specifically.
    By the same token, this arrogant prick Dalton gives NO credit for the running attack to the passing attack, led by Culpepper and Moss.

=Z=
    Yeah, I was gonna say... our running game was better bc coaches had Moss and co to worry about... We would spread the defense out and have wide open running lanes.. So, while not misleading i think our decline in rushing is directly linked to our lack of a consistent or hold on..wait!! Non existent passing game.. not to mention the entire defense in the box playing against the run...

That said.. i agree we should use Mewelde and AP more in the passing game.. NOt quite sure i would stick them both in the slot, but perhaps one in the slot or coming out of the backfield...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234