Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Oct. 8: Running backs hold the answer

"Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    I forgot to add that this is an excellent article by a former Viking's coach with some very good ideas. (At least they sound that way to me.)
    Would have been nice if the actual NAME of the coach was in the article anyplace.

So, after doing some research, I see that the coach in question is Dean Dalton.
    Under his brilliant leadership (the 4 seasons he spent as the Vikings' RB coach) the Vikings were:

2005:
    27th in total rushing, 24th in rushing TDs
    2004:
    18th in total rushing, 29th in rushing TDs
    2003:
    4th in total rushing, 12th in rushing TDs
    2002:
    1st in total rushing, 2nd in TDs

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/minindex.htm

So, basically, in the first year, after he inherited Denny Green's personnel, he kept the RBs at the top of the NFL.
    And then, his awesome coaching slowly drained all of the life from the Vikings running attack until they were bottom of the NFL barrel when he was fired along with the rest of Tice's staff.

Of course, all of the incompetents become brilliant once they actually don't have to produce results.

=Z=
    lmao, no wonder you're the ring leader for the final word staff.
    Funny stuff.
    There will be gnashing of teeth now, people don't like to have their fantasies destroyed by fact.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: Former Vikes Coach says Running backs hold the answer

"Zeus" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    First Bud Grant chimes in and now an assistant under Mike Tice...
    I wonder how this affects Chilly's ego having ex coaches offering their advice to the media.
    I think it goes a long way in supporting the claim that Chilly doesn't know what he's doing.
    Why?
    Because this FIRED coach who FAILED in a rather horrific way over the span of 4 years now believes HE knows how to "fix" things?

Yeah, okay, dude!

=Z=
    Denial... it's a tough pill to swallow.

Pretty soon PeeWee football coaches are going to be calling Childress to be giving him advice.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Ltrey" wrote:
    Under these two former Vikings head coaches our offensive system had the versatility to adjust to the talent on our roster.
    IMO, that is the biggest thing that Childress lacks.
    The biggest thing Childress lacks vs. what Green/Tice had to work with is a young Freak to toss the ball to on every other play.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"C" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I wonder how this affects Chilly's ego having ex coaches offering their advice to the media.
    I think it goes a long way in supporting the claim that Chilly doesn't know what he's doing.
    Why?
    Because this FIRED coach who FAILED in a rather horrific way over the span of 4 years now believes HE knows how to "fix" things?

Yeah, okay, dude!

Pretty soon PeeWee football coaches are going to be calling Childress to be giving him advice.
    How is this guy any different from Jim Souhan, Mark Craig or any of the other "local media hacks" who PPO loves to vilify at every turn?

Oh yeah - he was an actual COACH, so that means he knows more than them!
    And what he says MUST BE RIGHT!

But....wait!
    Wasn't he a coach who was fired for failing to produce results?
    Didn't the Vikings' running attack get worse every year he was their coach?
    Well - it's easier to ignore that because he's saying things that people want to hear.
    If he posted an article that supported Childress's approach, I know what a lot of the PPO chaff would say about THAT.

=Z=

"Zeus" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    Why?

Yeah, okay, dude!

How is this guy any different from Jim Souhan, Mark Craig or any of the other "local media hacks" who PPO loves to vilify at every turn?

Oh yeah - he was an actual COACH, so that means he knows more than them!
    And what he says MUST BE RIGHT!

But....wait!
    Wasn't he a coach who was fired for failing to produce results?
    Didn't the Vikings' running attack get worse every year he was their coach?
    Well - it's easier to ignore that because he's saying things that people want to hear.
    If he posted an article that supported Childress's approach, I know what a lot of the PPO chaff would say about THAT.

=Z=
    That's what makes it so funny that he's telling Childress what to do.

It's ok... when Childress is fired, I'll dig up this thread. No worries.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    I forgot to add that this is an excellent article by a former Viking's coach with some very good ideas. (At least they sound that way to me.)
    Would have been nice if the actual NAME of the coach was in the article anyplace.

Under his brilliant leadership (the 4 seasons he spent as the Vikings' RB coach) the Vikings were:

2005:
    2004:
    2003:
    2002:

So, basically, in the first year, after he inherited Denny Green's personnel, he kept the RBs at the top of the NFL.
    And then, his awesome coaching slowly drained all of the life from the Vikings running attack until they were bottom of the NFL barrel when he was fired along with the rest of Tice's staff.

Of course, all of the incompetents become brilliant once they actually don't have to produce results.

=Z=
    Just some food for thought....

In 2004 we had more passing touchdowns, attempts and yards than any other team in the NFL with the exception of the Colts, which would suggest we weren't running the ball much? Onterrio Smith also averaged 5.4 yards a carry that year, so I wouldn't say that it was a COMPLETE bust from the running back position.

In 2005, Johnson was quarterbacking the team, meaning you could take all of Daunte's 400+ yards and several touchdowns (usual) out of the equation.

Just two reasons that the decline might be unrelated to the running backs coach specifically.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Whoever he is, I tend to agree that we should run more, and that all three of those backs (four with Tony) are good players who can create mismatches.
    I really like the idea of having Peterson and/or Moore going out into a slot receiver route, that would definitely make a defense think twice about blitzing a LB!
    Spread 'em out, Rice and Wade wide, Moore and AP inside on slants or cutting out, Chester in the backfield for protection, or for a rush if the defense backs up some.
    QB has to be ready to move, but he's Got a chance for a screen on either side depending on who rushes.
    With good blocking, it could open up the QB scrambling out for the first too.

something I noticed...maybe I'm going off the deep end on this, but, it seems as if other NFL coaches don't respect the Vikings either...

A sixth for Mewelde Moore is like a slap in the face!
    I would've told them a 2nd.
    He's proven he's got moves and they need a back now.
    If they wanted to wait, they can have him later as a FA.

Belicheat asking Chilly not to pick up Mills and kind of leaning on him is rather suspicious as well.

At least the Chiller didn't fall for either one.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Whoever he is, I tend to agree that we should run more, and that all three of those backs (four with Tony) are good players who can create mismatches.
    I really like the idea of having Peterson and/or Moore going out into a slot receiver route, that would definitely make a defense think twice about blitzing a LB!
    Spread 'em out, Rice and Wade wide, Moore and AP inside on slants or cutting out, Chester in the backfield for protection, or for a rush if the defense backs up some.
    QB has to be ready to move, but he's Got a chance for a screen on either side depending on who rushes.
    With good blocking, it could open up the QB scrambling out for the first too.

something I noticed...maybe I'm going off the deep end on this, but, it seems as if other NFL coaches don't respect the Vikings either...

A sixth for Mewelde Moore is like a slap in the face!
    I would've told them a 2nd.
    He's proven he's got moves and they need a back now.
    If they wanted to wait, they can have him later as a FA.

Belicheat asking Chilly not to pick up Mills and kind of leaning on him is rather suspicious as well.

At least the Chiller didn't fall for either one.
    Great. Now only if he could coach a game.

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

2005:
    2004:
    2003:
    2002:

Just some food for thought....

In 2004 we had more passing touchdowns, attempts and yards than any other team in the NFL with the exception of the Colts, which would suggest we weren't running the ball much? Onterrio Smith also averaged 5.4 yards a carry that year, so I wouldn't say that it was a COMPLETE bust from the running back position.

In 2005, Johnson was quarterbacking the team, meaning you could take all of Daunte's 400+ yards and several touchdowns (usual) out of the equation.

Just two reasons that the decline might be unrelated to the running backs coach specifically.
    By the same token, this arrogant prick Dalton gives NO credit for the running attack to the passing attack, led by Culpepper and Moss.

=Z=

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

loved the article, i agree with everything in it.... we just gotta run the fing ball more!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast