Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Former Vikes Coach says Running backs hold the answer

I laughed about this...Got it in a private message today!
    Hi Cojo,

I know you post a lot of articles. Here is a good one from a former Vikings coach. I'm not sure if it’s been posted or not. If you desire, go ahead and post it.
    http://kstp.com/article/stories/S218761.shtml?cat=7

I usually screw up any posting I do.

Thanks Nick
    So anyway, thanks Nick and here's the article -- pretty good one too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As a former NFL assistant coach and now a football analyst I will solve all of the Minnesota Vikings woes by using the running backs currently on the roster. To add credibility to my argument it must be noted that I was the assistant offensive line coach under Dennis Green and the running backs coach under Mike Tice. Under these two former Vikings head coaches our offensive system had the versatility to adjust to the talent on our roster. By making such adjustments we broke a multitude of NFL offensive records. In our offensive system the Vikings became the highest scoring team in NFL history, we lead the league in rushing while breaking a couple NFL records along the way as well as leading the league in total offense using numerous different running backs and quarterbacks. In short, we were a dominant offense that was exciting to watch and extremely tough to defend...
    For the rest of the article go to:
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Re: Oct. 8: Running backs hold the answer

I forgot to add that this is an excellent article by a former Viking's coach with some very good ideas. (At least they sound that way to me.)
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Former Vikes Coach says Running backs hold the answer

The running backs are the best offensive weapons that the Minnesota Vikings have in its arsenal so it is only logical to maximize their productivity by keeping them on the field and getting them the ball. Being creative using a variety of different looks and personnel groups but running the same plays will better test defenses and give outstanding plays like Moore, Taylor and the explosive Peterson more opportunities to make plays for the Vikings. This highly productive group of backs, given the opportunity, will make the entire Minnesota team better and give the Vikings its best opportunity to win in the NFL.
    We ran like one play to T-Rich on the first possession and I hardly remember him on the field after that.
    I was looking forward to seeing them mix it up with CT, AD, MeMo, and T-Rich, the personnel weren't used like I thought they were going to be used.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Fire Childress and hire this guy. At least replace Bevell with this guy. Wow! Good article.
    I like the part about having Peterson in on third down.I agree keeping Peterson on the sidelines on critical downs because he can't pass block is foolish.

Plus any concerns with Peterson in protection are alleviated by shifting him out of the backfield.

What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

How is AP ever going to learn how to block in a passing situation, by being on the bench.
    We aren't winning with him there . . . so let him learn on the field!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

why isnt he still coaching with the vikings? he sounds like he's on to something.

Come on guys......
    Just think about it....
    when the Vikes were setting all of those offensive records....just think how much better they would have been with Chilly's "kick a$$ west coast offense"!
    ;D

To he11 with using our strengths....
    We have a system to forcefeed to this team, regardless of the personnel we have!!

I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Hi Cojo,

I know you post a lot of articles. Here is a good one from a former Vikings coach. I'm not sure if it’s been posted or not. If you desire, go ahead and post it.

Thanks Nick

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As a former NFL assistant coach and now a football analyst I will solve all of the Minnesota Vikings woes by using the running backs currently on the roster. To add credibility to my argument it must be noted that I was the assistant offensive line coach under Dennis Green and the running backs coach under Mike Tice. Under these two former Vikings head coaches our offensive system had the versatility to adjust to the talent on our roster. By making such adjustments we broke a multitude of NFL offensive records. In our offensive system the Vikings became the highest scoring team in NFL history, we lead the league in rushing while breaking a couple NFL records along the way as well as leading the league in total offense using numerous different running backs and quarterbacks. In short, we were a dominant offense that was exciting to watch and extremely tough to defend...
    That guy is full of crap, we never ran the ball or did anything but chuck the ball deep to Randy Moss. In fact I don't think we even had running backs on the roster while Randy Moss was here.

Sarcasm off.

Some of us have been saying these sort of things for quite a while.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Hi Cojo,

Thanks Nick

That guy is full of crap, we never ran the ball or did anything but chuck the ball deep to Randy Moss. In fact I don't think we even had running backs on the roster while Randy Moss was here.

Sarcasm off.

Some of us have been saying these sort of things for quite a while.
    Let's see, Randy Moss came to the Vikings in 1998. Robert Smith was one of top rushers in the league that year and the next. Then Michael Bennett came in and led the team in rushing in 2002 with almost 1300 yards. Moss had 1347 in catches. You would expect more from a receiver.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

"magicci" wrote:
    why isnt he still coaching with the vikings? he sounds like he's on to something.
    I think this guy is right on with the article. It makes complete sense to what he is saying. It would be nice to send it to Childress; the light bulb might come on.
    It all starts up front

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast