Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Forget these five

[size=18px]It's not too early to discount some overhyped teams[/size]
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/05/31/no.superbowl/index.html
    by Jeffri Chadiah - Inside the NFL for SI
    With my fellow scribes announcing their Super Bowl picks earlier and earlier, I'm taking a different tack: I'll tell you which five teams won't be there. I'm not talking about the easy picks, either. There won't be any 49ers, Packers, Texans or Raiders on this list. Instead, I'm going after those teams that have enough talent to possibly grace NFL-preview magazine covers but also have enough problems to leave their fans disappointed.

If I'm wrong about this, you can shoot me an angry e-mail. Until then, I've got a pretty bad feeling about these five teams.

The five he reports on are Miami, Phildelphia, Kansas City, San Diego and Minnesota. Here's what he says about Minnesota:
    5. Minnesota: As much as I like new head coach Brad Childress, I have to question his personnel on offense. He needs Chester Taylor -- or someone else -- to prove the running game will be reliable. He needs Troy Williamson, last year's first-round pick, to mature into a legitimate big-play threat at receiver, especially now that Nate Burleson has moved on to Seattle. He also needs quarterback Brad Johnson, who turns 38 this season, to prove that he's still effective. Those are a lot of needs for a team that finished with a flourish in 2005 (the Vikings won seven of their final nine). It's unlikely that it'll find answers to all of them.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

VikingKen is offline Starter

Re: Forget these five

I thought I saw a post about this earlier in the week

A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order. -- Bud Grant

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Look at the *** way that he spells his first name...that should tell you all you need to know about this idiot!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Somehow I find his predictions logical. Even though I hope/believe that the Vikings find the right answers this season, it is fair to ask those questions of our team. The players mentioned do have to prove themselves. And if they do we could go far, and if they don't...

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

My question is, who is hyping the Vikings up in the first place? I know everyone here always has high hopes, but I haven't seen one article lately saying the Vikings are going to have a good season.
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikingKen" wrote:
    I thought I saw a post about this earlier in the week
    Yep! It was here;

Vikings TOP 5 for next season

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

The article is a little misleading.

It is actually for get these 12-15 teams. He says forget the obvious then adds five more. "Forget these Five" sounds like the we are in the bottom 5 in the NFL.

He forgot to forget the Pack and the Saints.

And if he is so worried about offense, why not put the Bears in there too. The Bears have one WR and a new old QB to back up there young injury happy QB.

THe article could have been written about a ton of teams. Blah Blah Blah........

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

Well, I forgot him so I guess that makes it even.
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

bigdaddy72_1 is offline Starter

Well it seems as if the teams has well addressed two of the three needs stated in this article. Chester Taylor has an unbelievable offensiveline to run behind. I think he will have one of those seasons to establish himself as deserving starter and maybe even a star, but in all reality all he has to do is make it so teams can't just focus on the run or the pass, and most any back could do that behind or line. Second, Brad Johnson is back running a system that he won a Super Bowl with. Brad also does not have to be a super star for this offense to be successful, but Brad will put up good numbers, probably anything pro-bowl caliber but good enough to win.

Now the concern about Williamson is legitimate. He does need to step up and be the guy at the receiver position. Proving that he is the deep threat he was drafted to be. However, let us not forget about Koren Robinson. Koren had a great season last year, I mean come on the guy made the pro bowl. Koren can be that number one guy until Williamson is ready for the job. So I would say that oour receiver situation isn't anything to get to down about. We have a pretty solid staring off point and a mountain of potential.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    Well it seems as if the teams has well addressed two of the three needs stated in this article. Chester Taylor has an unbelievable offensiveline to run behind. I think he will have one of those seasons to establish himself as deserving starter and maybe even a star, but in all reality all he has to do is make it so teams can't just focus on the run or the pass, and most any back could do that behind or line. Second, Brad Johnson is back running a system that he won a Super Bowl with. Brad also does not have to be a super star for this offense to be successful, but Brad will put up good numbers, probably anything pro-bowl caliber but good enough to win.

Now the concern about Williamson is legitimate. He does need to step up and be the guy at the receiver position. Proving that he is the deep threat he was drafted to be. However, let us not forget about Koren Robinson. Koren had a great season last year, I mean come on the guy made the pro bowl. Koren can be that number one guy until Williamson is ready for the job. So I would say that oour receiver situation isn't anything to get to down about. We have a pretty solid staring off point and a mountain of potential.
    Our Defense won't be chopped liver either...if we get the LB situation solved *hint...sign Donnie Edwards to play the middle* then we will be a force to be reckoned with on BOTH sides of the ball...and that ain't no joke!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast