Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Football's Super Six - Daunte Culpepper

to put things in perspective, if this thread were a few years ago it would have had kurt warner on it -easily.

"briboy75" wrote:
    its basic entropy theory....every thread eventually desinagrates into a thread about moss.
    Moss? What is this moss you speak of??

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

i would have RM on there before TO
    We're bringing purple back.

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

"marshallvike" wrote:
    again, how many games in his career has he won with a last second drive? a couple last year. prior to that , none. he has thrown a lot of int's and fumbled a number of times in his career though on last minute drives. some have the mojo, some do not.
    So Culpepper doesn't?
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

stjmnsota is offline Pro-Bowler

ONe good year doesn't make a QB elite. Nor does two good years. It is about consistancy, development and the abiltiy to evolve. Duante has great potential, but after this long in the NFL, he hasn't improved. And its not like he has been on really crappy teams that supress great QBs. He has had the tools to work with toward excellence. That is with the exceptions of a great owner and coaches.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"sleepagent" wrote:
    Trade DC for Moss!
    NO

"collegeguyjeff" wrote:
    ha ha jokland won't ever give moss up
    There was talk of cutting him because they were so unhappy with his attitude and how he played!

Can you Randy apologists just get on with your lives, he is gone and he is not coming back!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

^ Uh oh. :shock:

DogPound is offline Rookie

I would agree that Cpepp has not won many last minute drives ...How ever I would say that I don't remember us being in to many close games...It always seems that we are kicking major butt or getting our butt kicked. What I do remember of Cpepp...is a game against Chicago in 2004 where even though we lost he kept us in the game the whole time being under extreme pressure. I also remember him being hit by "KBG" and shaking him off then stepping up in the pocket and hitting Cris Carter for a 26 yard Touch Down. In 7 years he has been to the probowl 3 times and one NFC champion ship game. I will always support the vikings in what they do regarding Cpepp...but I would never fault a quaterback who makes his mistakes because he's trying to do to much...he wants to win and we know what he is capable of. I say give him the type of mentorship he needs to succeed and if we can't get him them establish the relationship with him ....we all seen what he does when he's got confidence! He reminds me of one future hall of famer who was the same type of player....Steve Young!
    ~ I BLEED PURPLE!! ~

Del Rio Guest

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "sleepagent" wrote:
    Trade DC for Moss!
    NO

"collegeguyjeff" wrote:
    ha ha jokland won't ever give moss up
    There was talk of cutting him because they were so unhappy with his attitude and how he played!

Can you Randy apologists just get on with your lives, he is gone and he is not coming back!
    Talk from who?

Bob from your office? The guy who wears the wolf T-shirt because he wants to pick up diabetic Indian chicks at Nacar events?

Seriously that would be one of the dumbest moves of all time to cut a guy that has serious trade VALUE.

Think about it I mean you could trade him for like....an unproven players....and....and...N. Harris!!!!

I call shenanigans on this one!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

OH NO!!! Another DC thread. [size=7px]BTW, I worked a long time on this so please read it.[/size]

"ChezPizmo" wrote:
    But his lack of discipline started to catch up with him during the next couple of seasons. When he made a mistake, he would get rattled, and then he would quickly make things worse by trying to do to much the next time he touched the ball. In 2002, he threw an NFL-high 23 interceptions, and for the first time in his life he was booed by his fans.

With the help of Scott Linehan, who was the team's top offensive coach, Daunte gradually learned that he didn't have to try to do something spectacular every time he touched the ball.

"I've learned I don't have to be Superman," explained Daunte, "I don't have to break three tackles and throw a 50-yard pass on every play. Sometimes I have to throw it away and let the punter do his job. I see the big picture now; I know that sometimes you have to play the field-position game. I never thought about field position earlier in my career. But my job is to go out and do what it takes to win, not to make poor decisions that put the team in bad positions."
    Well, you can cut down DC all you want. It is a lot easier now that he has a bum leg and coming off a bad season. I will be taking names and calling people out when he gets things turned around. I might even be saving quotes so say what you want.

Last year was a year in which I don't wish upon anyone. DC was under a lot of pressure mentally as well as physically.

Pressure:
    Defense - Our D, from the start of the season, was a little suspect and didn't really start hitting stride until after the Carolina game. Giving up 24, 37, 16, 30, 28, 20, 38 points, the two lowest point totals were by GB and NO.

Offensive line - Was not playing consistant. It was always one guy making a mistake on every play, so it seemed.

Coaches - Looney a promoted OL coach, in contol of both the OL and the OC position in his first year as an OC with so many problems on the OL to fix let alone calling plays. So Tice is going to call them, there is confusion with the plays and getting them into the game throught the headset. The year before, it was Linehan that had control and was in direct contact with DC.

Finally DC himself - You can't really start pointing fingers at others until you have looked in the mirror. Yes his play was terrible last season. From the start he was in a hole that he couldn't dig himself out of.

INT(red zone), Fum, Fum, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, FG, Punt, FG(red zone), INT(red zone), INT.

Bad Situation One:
    But I think that DC's biggest problem was, he didn't believe in the D. The D bailed him out in that first game 2 times after TOs by getting an INT. So the game is tied, DC is managing the game by playing conservative (with conservative play calling too) wich leads to 2 3 and outs. But then, the D did a Jeckle and Hyde. DC had to watch the Bucs drive the field and score on 3 of the last 4 possessions in the first half. Even with all this back and forth, Jeckle and Hyde type play from the O and D, we are in the position to tie the game up. We are on the 12 yard line and DC throws another INT, if I remember right, this was a tipped ball off of one of our players(??). The D comes out and we need a stop for one more chance to tie, but we let Caddy rumble 80 yards for a TD.

Bad Situation Two(no looking back now):
    CINCINNATI (Sept. 18, 2005) -- Chad Johnson went directly from talking to trashing the Vikings.

Johnson caught a 70-yard touchdown pass on the game's second play, and the Cincinnati Bengals had their way during a 37-8 victory against Minnesota that made a statement and raised a question.

Yes, the 2-0 Bengals think they're for real.

And the 0-2 Vikings? Are they really this bad? So far, yes.

"We have a veteran group with a lot of pride, and we're embarrassed with the way we're playing," said Daunte Culpepper, who suffered a career-high five interceptions. "I'm determined to fix it. One thing we've got to do is stay together."

In this game once again TOs killed, but once again, we found ourselves down. Once again, the Bengals first 17 points came off of drives that were sustained, 72 yds = 7 pts, (Bennett fum) 48 yds = 7 pts, (min punt) and a 62 yd drive to set up a 40 yd FG = 3 pts. We were donw 17 points and DC hadn't made a mistake. Our rook muffed a kick and Bennett fumbled, oh and he let Chad the mouth score on the second play of the game from 70 yds out. Bennett fumbles again. Burleson tips the ball it is INT. We are now down 27-0 at halftime. After this, DC comes out and tries to make plays and throws 4 more INTs to a Defense that was playing with a lead and was very aggressive.

GRAB A SHOVEL BOYS and Start Digging.

TB - DC's fault
    Bengals - Mistakes (other than DCs meaningless INTs)
    NO - Win Team effort.
    ATL - Bad D good Atl O, Bad O and good ATL D, Pep managed the game.
    Boat Party - Excessive Media coverage over a misdemeanor.
    Chi - We got mauled by an offense that scored on us 4 times on drives of 49, 3, 62, and 1 yds. We got DelRio'd, set up by some sort of shell game, conned.
    GB - Once again, WE WERE DOWN 17 Pts, BUT we win in the end. We had drives of 59, 74, 64, 83, and 26 yds scoring on EVERY possession in the 2nd half.
    Car - OUCH!! Car 7 and the Vikes 0 when DC goes out. Smith schooled our D.

In conclussion, I said that the first game was DCs fault, because if you really want to blame him for all that went on or poor play, that was the only game that we lost that he put himself in that situation. In 4 of our first 6 games, we were down 17-7, 27-0, 24-0, 17-0 at the half and TOs weren't a factor so far in these games. You have to take some risks if you want to come back from those deficits (most TOs occured here), DC's stats are not normal. This past season was not played out under normal conditions. Blame DC if you want, he will shoulder it even with a bum leg that he got trying to will himself out of another deficit (7-0) before ending his season. He will come out next season looking to prove people wrong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast