Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

Football's Super Six - Daunte Culpepper

I came across this cheap little book at a store somewhere called "Football's Super Six". In it, it contains porfiles of the following players:
    -Tom Brady
    -Peyton Manning
    -Ben Roethlisberger
    -Terrel Owens
    -LaDainian Tomlinson
    -and Daunte Culpepper.

Just passing it along for what it's worth, so here are his career stats and profile that was in the book:

Born: January 28, 1977, in Ocala, Florida
    Height: 6-4 Weight: 264
    College: UCF Round drafted: First NFL Seasons: 6

Career Stats
    Att. (2,391) Comp. (1,539) Pct. (64.4) Yards (18,598)
    TD (129) INT (74) QB Rating (93.2)

It would seem hard, if not impossible, to overlook a 6-foot-4, 264-pound man who wears purple jerseys. But in the 2004 season, Minnesota Vikings' quarterback Daunte Culpepper seemed to get lost in the long shadow cast by the record-breaking performances of Peyton Manning and rookie Ben Roethlisberger.

While most of the focus of NFL fans seemed to be glued to the touchdown totals of Manning and the winning streak of Roethlisberger, Daunte, flying under the radar, produced on of the greatest seasons that any quarterback has ever had.

Daunte not only led the league in passing yards, with 4,717, he also tossed 39 touchdowns passes, tying him with Brett Favre for the fifth-highest total in NFL history. He threw with amazing accuracy, as well, posting a passer rating of 110.9, the fourth-highest ever recorded, while completing 69.2 percent of his passes, just narrowly missing the record of 70.55, which had been set in 1982 by Kenny Anderson.

"His numbers were remarkable, but there was more to it than that," said Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman, "When I watched him play, I saw a quarterback who has blossomed as a decision-maker. He was much more patient within the Vikings' offense, and he forced fewer throws. Mentally, he was on top of his game."

Daunte, who has a strong arm and is a bruising runner, has always has superior physical skills, but he didn't always have the mental discipline that it takes to be an elite quarterback in the NFL in 2000, his first year as the team's starter, he did manage to lead the Vikings to an 11-5 record and a first round playoff victory over the New Orleans Saints.

But his lack of discipline started to catch up with him during the next couple of seasons. When he made a mistake, he would get rattled, and then he would quickly make things worse by trying to do to much the next time he touched the ball. In 2002, he threw an NFL-high 23 interceptions, and for the first time in his life he was booed by his fans.

With the help of Scott Linehan, who was the team's top offensive coach, Daunte gradually learned that he didn't have to try to do something spectacular every time he touched the ball.

"I've learned I don't have to be Superman," explained Daunte, "I don't have to break three tackles and throw a 50-yard pass on every play. Sometimes I have to throw it away and let the punter do his job. I see the big picture now; I know that sometimes you have to play the field-position game. I never thought about field position earlier in my career. But my job is to go out and do what it takes to win, not to make poor decisions that put the team in bad positions."

After turning his game around in the 2003 season and hitting new heights in 2004, Daunte is ready to create some shadows of his own.

"I can be better," he insists. "I still make mistakes, I've never had a perfect game. If you watch me in practice, you'll see I want to be perfect. But I'm just starting, I've only scratched the surface of my abilities."
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Football's Super Six - Daunte Culpepper

"His numbers were remarkable, but there was more to it than that," said Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman, "When I watched him play, I saw a quarterback who has blossomed as a decision-maker. He was much more patient within the Vikings' offense, and he forced fewer throws. Mentally, he was on top of his game."

So what the HECK happened this past season????
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

There were also some quotes about Culpepper in it from various people:

[size=18px]"I'm going to be happy one day to say I played with a Hall of Fame quarterback named Daunte Culpepper," said teammate Jermaine Wiggins, "It's something I can tell my grandchildren about."[/size]

[size=18px]"Daunte use to be his own worst enemy." said Scott Linehan. "He would force an interception, rather than throw the ball away when he was in trouble. But he's grown so much. He's learned to see the big picture."[/size]

[size=18px]"If I were an NFL general manger, I would risk my job on betting that Daunte is the guy," said former NFL star Phil Simms. "There is nothing he can't do, and he absolutely is a franchise quarterback."[/size]

[size=8pt]

"cajunvike" wrote:

So what the HECK happened this past season????
    I was wondering that the entire time at the Bengals game...

[size=8pt]

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

what about randy moss? nobody can do what he does in the nfl.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I love Pep, I believe that the way he started the season he was going back to his old form. This could have been for many reasons including being pressured almost every play, losing his #1 target in Moss, and losing his confidant in Scott Linehan. I am not making excuses for Culpepper but he is and can be again a very dangerous QB. I have no idea what will happen with him at this point, but I won't be surprised either way.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

again, how many games in his career has he won with a last second drive? a couple last year. prior to that , none. he has thrown a lot of int's and fumbled a number of times in his career though on last minute drives. some have the mojo, some do not.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Trade DC for Moss!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

ha ha jokland won't ever give moss up
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

its basic entropy theory....every thread eventually desinagrates into a thread about moss.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast