singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Football is a contact sport

[size=18px]Column: Football is a contact sport[/size]

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 10:11 AM CDT

Jeff Budlong, On the Rebound
    The Albeart Lea Tribune

There has been a lot of talk coming out of Vikings camp about how physically demanding new head coach Brad Childress’ training camp sessions have been. Too much live tackling, not enough down time.

I don’t know how much tackling is too much but I do know that the Vikings have not lived up to expectations the last couple of years, so why not try something new?

Many coaches do not want to get players injured in the preseason or training camp by having too much tackling, but if you watched the Raiders play in the Hall of Fame game or any number of regular season contests you can tell that tackling practice is needed.

There are injuries during training camp all of the time and a majority of those injuries happen without any contact at all. The Vikings’ Tank Williams is lost for the season and all he had to do was run backwards. Williams tore up his knee, Chad Greenway has a concussion and Pat Williams is dealing with swelling in the knee.

There is no doubt that a line exists between hard practices which are beneficial and to much contact which does nothing more than burn your team out before the games even start to matter. However, after years of Dennis Green and Mike Tice maybe it is time to try something new.

There is no doubt that Childress runs a tight ship but as a first-year coach there has to be a grace period where he gets to try things his way. If he ends up with a 4-12 season then there will be a reason to question his methods.

But this is a coach that helped craft the Philadelphia Eagles into the dominant NFC team over the last five seasons save last year’s T.O. induced meltdown.

I had a chance to watch the Vikings’ scrimmage with Kansas City last week and most of the talk was about just being glad about hitting other players but two days later it was too much.

Just looking at the Vikings’ roster you have to believe that they will be very competitive in a division with a Chicago Bears squad that has no offense, a Green Bay team that has an interception-prone QB and a Lions team that still has Matt Millen as its GM. The Vikings have their own problems to be sure, but this still seems like a division that is wide open for the taking. Every year there are teams that jump from the bottom of the standings to the top. The jump would not be that big for the Vikings so I have to believe it is very possible.

If you look around the league many of the successful coaches run a tough training camp. New England, Philadelphia and Miami come to mind. The New York Jets and Oakland Raiders hired coaches with the reputations of being tough. Very few coaches have the luxury of having self driven guys like Peyton Manning to rely on like Tony Dungy does.

Anytime players complain about camp after the first week it has to be taken with a grain of salt. While most have worked out during the off season there are naturally going to be aches and pains no matter how much contact there is early on.

They should just be thankful that the heat index isn’t charging past 105 degrees like it did two weekends ago. Trying to deal with heat exhaustion or heatstroke would seem to be bigger problems with aches and pains from having to tackle a teammate.

No matter what side of the argument you come done on it boils down to this: win and Childress is a genius but lose and he pushed his team too hard.

I love the NFL.

(Sports editor Jeff Budlong’s column runs every Wednesday.)

Column: Football is a contact sport

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Football is a contact sport

What Budlong has right is that no matter what Childress or any coach does there will be people supporting him, people on the fence, and people ripping on him. That's life. You can't live it worrying about what others are saying/thinking. Do what you believe is right and live with it.....just like Maurice did.

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

Like my coach use to say "You play like you practice". You play all touchy feely type football, you get smashed! You play tough demanding football, it will show come game day.

I love the last line: "win and Childress is a genius but lose and he pushed his team too hard". So true.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Pat Williams is dealing with swelling in the knee.

I think he meant Kevin Williams, I have heard nothing about Pat having any knee problems.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"whackthepack" wrote:
    Pat Williams is dealing with swelling in the knee.

I think he meant Kevin Williams, I have heard nothing about Pat having any knee problems.
    Yep, he meant Kevin. He's the only Williams with knee problems. In another article he referred to it as "chronic & degenerative".

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"