Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Foley finagled a bedrock draft

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Jackson was rising alot.. I don't know if we had to trade up in the second to get him.. But oh well.. we would have had another no name probably wit that pick anyway

Cedric went about where he should have.. he is a second round talent.. And has been playing like a 1st

Cook was like wow really? Idk if he was rising on draft boards.. but I bet we coulda got him in the 3rd.. Was Cook really that big of a need where we needed to reach into the second round to grab him?

Otherwise it was a solid draft
    My point is that they wouldn't have had to pick Jackson if they would have used at least 2, possibly 3 picks on Cutler and still got everyone else except the LB (Who didn't play that year anyway).

We maybe could have

Depends if that team was willing to deal the pick or not

Or if we were sold on Cutler or not

Chilly wanted a guy with all the tools to develop (accurate, strong arm, running ability)

He saw that in jackson and I can't be mad about that
    He also say it in Cutler and Clemens.
    Remember, we had all 3 of them in for workouts as well as went to them.

Again, I still contend we settled on the 3rd option cause we missed the first 2.

Could be

But remember how many people we have brought in so far for this yearas draft

We won't get barely any of these guys

It all depends how the draft plays out.. Denver made a good move.. And Wish we would have.. We had the picks to move up.. But maybe Denver was on the phone before us and got a deal done.. Or maybe the Rams liked their picks over ours.. or maybe they wanted Cutler in the AFC

Idk.. i can't really make a judgement.. Just sucks we missed out.. But im happy with Jackson

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Foley was trash, I highly doubt he had much to do with the draft. Sure he was involved but Childress has been drafting his way since he got here. So far so good, I like what we're doing.

As far as Cutler is concerned I don't get why its an issue, if we don't want him now, then its a good thing we got what we did at a lesser price, not to mention we still got Chad Greenway.

The bottom line in all this is drafting players that can produce for the team. So far we have done a great job. Some of these 3 and 4 year guys like Rice and Jackson need to bring there game up to the next notch. Even Ray Edwards who is decent now could still get better.

The funny thing of that first draft is Greg Blue. The way I saw it he could still be here but something wasn't right with him. Something behind the certains. I thought he played good for us and did well in the preseason, even before he was cut.

As far as Cook is concerned its not over. I don't know wether he will ever live up to a 2nd Round pick but hopefully he can be a roster main stay. The reason Cook was drafted in the 2nd is due to him being a Tackle. Size, Athleticism, Strength...ect. All the Tackle Physical Material you look for. In College unlike in High School he did not play Tackle. I still think Cook can finish evolving but I am concerned because of his performance last season. There wasn't alot of progression made, there is alot of ground to make up but I think he knows what to expect and whats expected after being benched last season.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    Foley was trash, I highly doubt he had much to do with the draft. Sure he was involved but Childress has been drafting his way since he got here. So far so good, I like what we're doing.

As far as Cutler is concerned I don't get why its an issue, if we don't want him now, then its a good thing we got what we did at a lesser price, not to mention we still got Chad Greenway.

The bottom line in all this is drafting players that can produce for the team. So far we have done a great job. Some of these 3 and 4 year guys like Rice and Jackson need to bring there game up to the next notch. Even Ray Edwards who is decent now could still get better.

The funny thing of that first draft is Greg Blue. The way I saw it he could still be here but something wasn't right with him. Something behind the certains. I thought he played good for us and did well in the preseason, even before he was cut.

As far as Cook is concerned its not over. I don't know wether he will ever live up to a 2nd Round pick but hopefully he can be a roster main stay. The reason Cook was drafted in the 2nd is due to him being a Tackle. Size, Athleticism, Strength...ect. All the Tackle Physical Material you look for. In College unlike in High School he did not play Tackle. I still think Cook can finish evolving but I am concerned because of his performance last season. There wasn't alot of progression made, there is alot of ground to make up but I think he knows what to expect and whats expected after being benched last season.
    Not that I want to compliment Cook but I will say he did progress some toward the end of the season.
    Hopefully that will continue.
    He definately has the physical ability to be good.
    He just needs to focus better.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Thats a very good point on Cook, he's had some good games, both in the run/pass protection. The downside is he's an inconsistent player who lacks focus and it leads to alot of penalties and poor technique in pass protection. I'm hoping he can evolve to consistency. He's a player that is going into a contract season, I'm expecting he will get some competition this offseason is we don't draft Tackle in 1st round. Even then he may still compete but we landed a guy like Eben Britton I think he could step in on day one and do well.

Another guy that needs competition is Anthony Herrera, he had some better play at the end of the season but I'm not sold on him.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Former Vikings personnel boss Fran Foley only lasted a few months on the job, but his 2006 draft produced some solid starters. His personnel touch has proved to be better than his personal touch.

http://min.scout.com/2/853833.html

I hack on this yutz alot, mostly related to how he goofed the first 3 picks, however,......Hell, no way I can put a positive spin on that draft.......

That yutz could have got Cutler with a mix of the first 3 picks and still got Cook, Griff in the later rounds were they were projected.

Long story short, Only thing that saved that draft was Scott Studwell and his scouts. No way that yutz could miss with the talent Scott had lined up even if he did take most of them way to high, which IMHO was the nail in his coffin, so to speak..... :
    Marrdro the myth-maker strikes again.

=Z=
    Marrdro Speak, much like Chiller Speak, should betaken with a certain amount of skepticism.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    Thats a very good point on Cook, he's had some good games, both in the run/pass protection. The downside is he's an inconsistent player who lacks focus and it leads to alot of penalties and poor technique in pass protection. I'm hoping he can evolve to consistency. He's a player that is going into a contract season, I'm expecting he will get some competition this offseason is we don't draft Tackle in 1st round. Even then he may still compete but we landed a guy like Eben Britton I think he could step in on day one and do well.

Another guy that needs competition is Anthony Herrera, he had some better play at the end of the season but I'm not sold on him.
    Love your comments on Cook.
    I think most of his issues arise when he is called to pass block (one on one) with a speedier edge rusher.
    When it comes to run blocking he seems to be fine.

Not sure about the comment on Herrera, that dude is a pulling/blocking monster.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Former Vikings personnel boss Fran Foley only lasted a few months on the job, but his 2006 draft produced some solid starters. His personnel touch has proved to be better than his personal touch.

http://min.scout.com/2/853833.html

I hack on this yutz alot, mostly related to how he goofed the first 3 picks, however,......Hell, no way I can put a positive spin on that draft.......

That yutz could have got Cutler with a mix of the first 3 picks and still got Cook, Griff in the later rounds were they were projected.

Long story short, Only thing that saved that draft was Scott Studwell and his scouts. No way that yutz could miss with the talent Scott had lined up even if he did take most of them way to high, which IMHO was the nail in his coffin, so to speak..... :
    Marrdro the myth-maker strikes again.

=Z=
    Marrdro Speak, much like Chiller Speak, should betaken with a certain amount of skepticism.
    Exactly, I am just a yutz with a keyboard and access to the internent.
    Almost everything I say is my opinion based on very limited access to what is really going on.

On a side note, at least I'm willing to admit that.
    I just like to spin up the guys who believe they know it all on issues like this....... ;D ;D ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123