Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Justin311 is offline Rookie

Flying Saucer is Back!

Great article about Jimmy K.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/12384865.htm

I'm so happy this guy is back, he is a crucial part of our offense and look forward to seeing him on the field this season.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Flying Saucer is Back!

"Justin311" wrote:
    Great article about Jimmy K.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/12384865.htm

I'm so happy this guy is back, he is a crucial part of our offense and look forward to seeing him on the field this season.
    Post the article so people do not have to sign-up.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Yes Justin! Post!

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

Forceful, thrilling return to the field

Jim Kleinsasser remembers trying to hobble around after his knee operation.

"A couple of weeks after surgery, it was like, 'Oh my God, how can I come back from this?' " he said.

Kleinsasser blew out a ligament in last season's opener. All football players worry about their knees. For a guy like Kleinsasser, who is built like one of those trucks that hauls your trash away each week, solid underpinnings are imperative.

So while the Vikings careened through their schedule, Kleinsasser worked on getting his knee back in shape. It was a long, frustrating and often lonely process.

But last Friday against Kansas City, he was back out there with his teammates, looking for someone to bowl over.

"That's the first adrenaline rush I've had in quite a while," he said afterward.

If he thinks he had an adrenaline rush, he should have checked out several of the Chiefs defenders. Seeing a 6-3, 275-pound tight end barreling in your direction can really get the blood pumping.

"It was exciting," Kleinsasser said of his return. "I never took a tackle or anything. And I was a little nervous when I went in. But once I got in there, it felt OK. It seemed like everything was normal."

The Vikings have some interesting possibilities at tight end. Jermaine Wiggins is a gifted receiver, despite running like an elephant on roller skates. Kleinsasser makes loud grunting noises and bores huge holes for the running backs.

Put the two of them out there together and opposing defenses may need to call timeout for a Tylenol break.

Coach Mike Tice is thrilled to have Kleinsasser back.

"Oh man, I wanted to see him out there the whole first half," Tice said after Friday's game.

But he knows better and kept him on the field for just eight plays. This is not the time to rush things.

"The real plus is that he was out there," said offensive coordinator Steve Loney. "As your physical abilities come around, so does your confidence. He's a versatile guy and an important part of our offense."

He is also one of those fellows who always seems to be about 15 yards from the spotlight. Even when he was drafted in 1999, in the second round out of North Dakota, he was far from the main topic of conversation.

That was the year the Vikings had two first-round picks. First they took Daunte Culpepper, which was very controversial at the time. Minnesota had plenty of quarterbacks and needed help on defense.

Then they selected Dimitrius Underwood, who reported to camp and immediately proved to be — what's the technical term they used? — nutty. Kleinsasser didn't generate a lot of headlines.

Over the years, every running back from Robert Smith on down has benefited from his blocking. In 2003, Kleinsasser also had a career-high 46 catches as a hybrid tight end/fullback. It all seemed to be working for him.

In the opener against Dallas last season, he already had a couple of catches when he tore his ACL. His knee was a mess.

"You always question whether you can come back or not," Kleinsasser said. "Before (Friday's) game, Rosie said to me: 'We've worked our butts off. Let's go get it.' "

He was referring to offensive tackle and fellow rehabber Mike Rosenthal, who missed the final 14 games of last season with a broken foot.

With Randy Moss gone, and with Onterrio Smith in his basement trying to build a better Whizzinator, the offense faces several challenges. The talk has been about how guys like Nate Burleson and Mewelde Moore have to do more.

The return of Kleinsasser will help. He'll catch some balls and open some holes. It's not that defensive players can't tackle him or knock him down. They certainly can. They just have to be prepared for the consequences.

Because colliding with a healthy Kleinsasser really, really hurts.

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

I thought you were talking about the member who used to post under the name of JimFlyinSasser, havent seen him lately, but i might just not be looking very hard.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

It will be good to have jimmy K back!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Justin311 is offline Rookie

sorry i didn't post. and thanks for doing so. And i didn't realize i confused some folks with someone with that nickname posting on here, my uncle lives in Bloomington and everytime i come back to MN and watch a game with my family he calls Jimmy the Flyin Saucer so i thought it was funny.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

LOVE JIMMY K !!!!! He really improves our offense when either creating holes for the RB's, providing an outlet for Daunte', etc .. I really feel that he was the one, if not one of two keys, to why we didnt go farther last year. (the second being offensive play calling)

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

The Vikings really need Jimmy to be healthy and performing well next year. Now that that receiver guy got traded, teams will have less of a problem with our offence because they don't have to double/triple team that guy. We need to counteract that with the mighty return of Jimmy. If he comes back to where he was before, our offence could be just as explosive as last year.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

NodakAttack is offline Training Camp

Love the Nodak Attack being unleashed... to have TWO TEs that can both catch and one that will maul over any and everyone is too good to be true... with our new D that should keep opposing teams from scoring too many points, this TE tandem will key to make sure we can run out the clock in fourth quarters!
    Ahh PURPLE is the color of all my Dreams!! GO VIKES!! Bring us a Lombardi!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast