Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937
    Floyd - needs to play more. KWill needs to play less.

    Rhodes - bump and run CB forced into a Tampa 2 zone system. Ill-fitted for what they are asking him to do.

    Patterson - good on KRs, for sure. Incomplete otherwise. George Stewart is a great coach who needs to survive the purge.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  2. #12
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,814
    Quote Originally Posted by PInfante97 View Post
    Pro Football Focus Grades

    Shariff Floyd, DT, Minnesota Vikings
    Grade: -3.6
    Snaps: 198
    Analysis: Hasnít really proved anyone wrong yet with his draft day drop. A part of the Vikingsí rotation, he has seven quarterback disruptions but has failed to make a real impression against the run. The team is easing him into a more prominent role in the years to come.

    Xavier Rhodes, CB, Minnesota Vikings
    Grade: -1.9
    Snaps: 337
    Analysis: An uneventful time of things outside of getting flagged a poor four times. Yet to allow a touchdown and does a decent job for the most part of not letting receivers in behind him with the 19 catches heís allowed averaging just 9.6 yards.

    Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Minnesota Vikings
    Grade: +1.7
    Snaps: 103
    Analysis: Well he hasnít exactly seen a lot of playing time on offense has he? But where he has made a big contribution is on special teams where his kick returning sees him leading our rankings in that department. Still is there a logical reason why heís not getting more snaps?
    Yea, 3 and outs on offense, 3 and ins on defense.

  3. #13
    skum's Avatar
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,884
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Yea, 3 and outs on offense, 3 and ins on defense.
    That still does not explain why Joe Webb is getting more snaps than him.

    Him and Jarius Wright needs to be more involved, we need to return to the good things that we did last year with a lot of slants and short passes across the middle that allow these guys to touch the ball and do same damage after the catch. Those passes will easy the presure on whoever is the QB... That is really what worked well last year and we have gone away from it.

    Even when Percy was out we did a lot of those things with Wright and it still worked very well.

    It is the same guys out there, with the addition of Patterson and Jennings.. Lets go back to works and also get Joe Webb on the sideline, he does nothing for our offense. He does pretty good on ST, but thats it, if anything, make him a CB. He might do better there than what weve got.

    It seems like because we signed Jennings we must go down the field more and that is not something that we have the QB to do.


    ----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

  4. #14
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,814
    Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    That still does not explain why Joe Webb is getting more snaps than him.

    Him and Jarius Wright needs to be more involved, we need to return to the good things that we did last year with a lot of slants and short passes across the middle that allow these guys to touch the ball and do same damage after the catch. Those passes will easy the presure on whoever is the QB... That is really what worked well last year and we have gone away from it.

    Even when Percy was out we did a lot of those things with Wright and it still worked very well.

    It is the same guys out there, with the addition of Patterson and Jennings.. Lets go back to works and also get Joe Webb on the sideline, he does nothing for our offense. He does pretty good on ST, but thats it, if anything, make him a CB. He might do better there than what weve got.

    It seems like because we signed Jennings we must go down the field more and that is not something that we have the QB to do.
    Is that true? I saw where Patterson has been in for 103 snaps this year. Haven't seen Webb's numbers. Patterson has been in for 40 snaps in the last two games, so he is getting more playing time. In the last two games he has 5 catches for 48 yards, no significant impact.

    The point I was trying to make is that until our offense starts getting sustained drives and at least a pretend NFL offense it's hard to incorporate much of anyone. Right now every play is a desperation play, game plan be damned. If we keep rotating QB's every week, I doubt that will change much.

  5. #15
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Is that true? I saw where Patterson has been in for 103 snaps this year. Haven't seen Webb's numbers. Patterson has been in for 40 snaps in the last two games, so he is getting more playing time. In the last two games he has 5 catches for 48 yards, no significant impact.

    The point I was trying to make is that until our offense starts getting sustained drives and at least a pretend NFL offense it's hard to incorporate much of anyone. Right now every play is a desperation play, game plan be damned. If we keep rotating QB's every week, I doubt that will change much.
    "The last 2 games" were the freeman debacle and the Ponder's short and go's. Patterson is a deep threat, and Ponder will use him as much as Alex Smith uses Bowe in KC...almost never.

    CBs and WRs are usually 2 year seedlings; Michael Irvin himself said you can't expect too much out of them in the first year. As such, it seems like only our coaches expected to be able to throw Rhodes into the mix and get results. They took the opposite track with Patterson, and my guess is that was due to the QB really not able to use him AS a weapon.

    Floyd is a mixed bag, no doubt about it. But then, he is too young to be a leader, and our defense doesn't HAVE one right now, nor an identity. I expect our defense will be much better next year, as long as we make the necessary coaching changes.

    But that's the question, isn't it? WILL the Vikings bring in a new attitude, or give these guys another year? Who knows.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte

  6. #16
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    "The last 2 games" were the freeman debacle and the Ponder's short and go's. Patterson is a deep threat, and Ponder will use him as much as Alex Smith uses Bowe in KC...almost never.

    CBs and WRs are usually 2 year seedlings; Michael Irvin himself said you can't expect too much out of them in the first year. As such, it seems like only our coaches expected to be able to throw Rhodes into the mix and get results.
    I don't agree, we really had no choice but to give Rhodes an increased workload. With Cook hurt for part of the season, useless the rest, and Robinson not being very effective (Our two anticipated starter), Rhodes has been asked to start for us. It's not like we can rely on Sherels. Add in the problems we're having at Safety, and Rhodes is arguably our best DB right now. In Preseason he was buried on the Depth Chart, and was eased in during the early regular season.
    They took the opposite track with Patterson, and my guess is that was due to the QB really not able to use him AS a weapon.
    I would assume it's more of because how little experience he has in a real system. The dude played one year of major college ball. GOing into the draft, he was touted as a dangerous returnman, but will take time to get up to speed on offense. He has to learn how to react to different coverages, how to run routes, how to play the position. It's not as simple as just being tall and fast.
    Floyd is a mixed bag, no doubt about it. But then, he is too young to be a leader, and our defense doesn't HAVE one right now, nor an identity. I expect our defense will be much better next year, as long as we make the necessary coaching changes.
    You nailed it. No identity on Defense. Floyd has no defined role. Ideally he's be a 3 technique player similar to what KW was (even now, he's even asked to do different things). I think Alan Williams is in way over his head, and is not using any of our defensive players to their strenghts. New coaching, new scheme will give Floyd a chance to properly develop and become a good player.
    But that's the question, isn't it? WILL the Vikings bring in a new attitude, or give these guys another year? Who knows.
    They gotta get another year at least. Need new coaches, but you can't get rid of 3 first round draft picks form the year prior, especially when they all have potential and were highly regarded as good players in the draft. They haven't shown any reason to think they can't develop into star players.

  7. #17
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    401
    The "new attitude" comment directly related to the previous sentence. These 3 guys stay, but new coaches are a must.

    As far as Rhodes, I never meant to infer that they didn't HAVE to use him, but then...the coaches DO make personnel decisions, so it was their fault they had to put a rookie into play to get burned. I think the kid will have a much better season next year, and be solid for years to come. Just not this year.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte

  8. #18
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    The "new attitude" comment directly related to the previous sentence. These 3 guys stay, but new coaches are a must.

    As far as Rhodes, I never meant to infer that they didn't HAVE to use him, but then...the coaches DO make personnel decisions, so it was their fault they had to put a rookie into play to get burned. I think the kid will have a much better season next year, and be solid for years to come. Just not this year.
    Yeah, but to keep him on the bench to play someone like Sherels would be silly. Rhodes is better than Sherels or Jefferson. But he unfortunatley is in a position where he's a top 2 corner on our team, and HAS to play.

  9. #19
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Is that true? I saw where Patterson has been in for 103 snaps this year. Haven't seen Webb's numbers. Patterson has been in for 40 snaps in the last two games, so he is getting more playing time. In the last two games he has 5 catches for 48 yards, no significant impact.

    The point I was trying to make is that until our offense starts getting sustained drives and at least a pretend NFL offense it's hard to incorporate much of anyone. Right now every play is a desperation play, game plan be damned. If we keep rotating QB's every week, I doubt that will change much.
    We are seeing what I talked about prior to the draft and pre season when everyone was clammering to bring in a ton of WR's to make the passing game better. With the way this staff runs the offense what you are seeing is we have too many players that want to get the ball and no way to get it to them with the QB and coaching that we have.

    If you look at our roster if you take out the 5 OL and the QB along with AP, Rudolph and Jennings that is 9 players who are going to be on the field and that leaves 2 spots to be filled by

    Simpson
    Wright
    Patterson
    Carlson
    Felton
    Gerhart
    Webb
    Ellison


    Now, when you consider we are heavily geared towards the run, we have a habit of going 3 and out and our QB's would have a hard time hitting the broad side of a barn with the wind to their back it isn't hard to comprehend why nobody on the offense is putting up very good numbers.

    IMHO they need to cut some of the talent loose, invest a bit of that back into the LB and secondary and focus on getting the guys who can get the job done the reps they need to get into a groove.

    Of course new coaches and a new QB would go a long way towards fixing that but we can also afford to cut back on quantity and focus on increasing quality with the offensive skill players.

  10. #20
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    We are seeing what I talked about prior to the draft and pre season when everyone was clammering to bring in a ton of WR's to make the passing game better. With the way this staff runs the offense what you are seeing is we have too many players that want to get the ball and no way to get it to them with the QB and coaching that we have.

    If you look at our roster if you take out the 5 OL and the QB along with AP, Rudolph and Jennings that is 9 players who are going to be on the field and that leaves 2 spots to be filled by

    Simpson
    Wright
    Patterson
    Carlson
    Felton
    Gerhart
    Webb
    Ellison


    Now, when you consider we are heavily geared towards the run, we have a habit of going 3 and out and our QB's would have a hard time hitting the broad side of a barn with the wind to their back it isn't hard to comprehend why nobody on the offense is putting up very good numbers.

    IMHO they need to cut some of the talent loose, invest a bit of that back into the LB and secondary and focus on getting the guys who can get the job done the reps they need to get into a groove.

    Of course new coaches and a new QB would go a long way towards fixing that but we can also afford to cut back on quantity and focus on increasing quality with the offensive skill players.
    Do you know what the hell you are talking about ?
    Of course you do. Add in a little help on the interior of both lines and this thing could turn around quick.
    As an aside, Simpson is having a decent year, but I believe Patterson would be having a better year if he were starting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •