Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Swelling of the knee after the Buffalo game despite previous normal MRI, led to Floyd missing the next practice and undergoing a procedure to relieve pain in the anterior knee.
    The most likely procedure would be draining fluid from the knee and injecting cortisone after the fluid is drained.
    Resting Floyd's knee for one week would be standard. An additional week of rest before the regular season would seem prudent, though I expect he will be at practice the week before the opener.
    However, should the knee swell again, they may want to take another look with a repeat MRI. MRI's are fantastic, but occasionally miss things.
    If the knee is sound, Floyd is going to be one of the defensive studs this year, from what I've seen.

The question will remain what was it that caused the fluid in the knee to begin with. Was it just from a bump that caused some sort of inflammation or is this a sign that there is something damaged in there that was missed?

I know that when I tore my ACL, MCL and Meniscus in high school there was swelling initially but I have never had any fluid buildups that had had to be drained. Even after the repair failed and the ligament was torn and wore away and with a few decades of cartilage damage from running around without it I have never had a swelling problem. OTOH a good friend tore his ACL around the same time and went with the replacement cadaver repair and he was constantly having to have the knee drained but I believe his repair held up over time. it seems to me that fluids generally don't build up unless there is something wrong to trigger the body to release them. Is a general contusion enough to cause that?

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    The question will remain what was it that caused the fluid in the knee to begin with. Was it just from a bump that caused some sort of inflammation or is this a sign that there is something damaged in there that was missed?

I know that when I tore my ACL, MCL and Meniscus in high school there was swelling initially but I have never had any fluid buildups that had had to be drained. Even after the repair failed and the ligament was torn and wore away and with a few decades of cartilage damage from running around without it I have never had a swelling problem. OTOH a good friend tore his ACL around the same time and went with the replacement cadaver repair and he was constantly having to have the knee drained but I believe his repair held up over time. it seems to me that fluids generally don't build up unless there is something wrong to trigger the body to release them. Is a general contusion enough to cause that?
    The question is whether the swelling is within the joint capsule or something like a bursa sack swelling, which occurs outside the joint. One could be a problem, the other shouldn't.
    Inflammation or bleeding cause swelling.
    If the meniscus is intact, he should be fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12