Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flood the D ?

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Flood the D ?

I have been wondering about this. Why don't the Vikings just put 4 receivers in and try to "flood" the defenses we play ? It forces them into pass prevent ("max protect") and then you hand off to Mewelde underneath, or just hit Wiggy in the (empty) middle of the field. It seems like we have the receivers for it. You just line up Travis Tayler, Burleson, Williamson, Marcus Robinson, and Koren Robinson, and let them all fly downfield, which creates gaping holes in the middle of the field that you can throw into or run into. And hey, if Troy or Koren are open deep, let it rip.

Are we too conservative to do it ?

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Flood the D ?

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I have been wondering about this. Why don't the Vikings just put 4 receivers in and try to "flood" the defenses we play ? It forces them into pass prevent ("max protect") and then you hand off to Mewelde underneath, or just hit Wiggy in the (empty) middle of the field. It seems like we have the receivers for it. You just line up Travis Tayler, Burleson, Williamson, Marcus Robinson, and Koren Robinson, and let them all fly downfield, which creates gaping holes in the middle of the field that you can throw into or run into. And hey, if Troy or Koren are open deep, let it rip.

Are we too conservative to do it ?
    ummm, BJ gets his leg split in half ... then where are we??? Can anyone say Shaun Hill ?

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I really don't think our protection is good enough to do it. If our O-line was better, then definately, but there's no way the line is good enough and Brad just isn't the type of quarterback to esacpe 1 or 2 defenders and "create time" so to speak.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Next year probably with Pep and better protection

But when you have guys like Troy, who runs the 40 in 4.3, and Koren, who has great speed, the defense can't bring extra pressure (in other words, a linebacker or secondary guy blitzing), because that means 1-on-1 coverage and a big play. It forces them to bring 4 or even 3 pass rushers. Sure, they can blitz. Let them...

I don't quite buy your logic, because if you force the other team into 5-man coverage downfield, there is less to bring up front. If you throw linebackers, Wiggy goes nuts in the middle of the field.

Sure, Brad would have to spend more time in the pocket, but most of the defense is 40-yards away, covering all the "Robinsons" going nuts in their secondary...

Or do you think the defense is going to call a blitz with 4 receivers lined up wide ? :roll:

I don't think it would work against a team like Chicago that has a fierce 4-man pass rush, but I think it would work against most NFL teams.

Overall, I like the approach of Brad being "overly conservative", but I also wonder at times why we don't just open it up and let our receivers go nuts.

zimtwister is offline Coach

brads not that conservative- he is a guy who does not make big mistakes. why change whats working?
    "you dream of beating me, its time you wake up and apologize."

I agree that we don't need to change it if it works, but I just think we have so many receivers that are good, and two that are very fast, and it seems like we are underutilizing them. I really criticized Linehan for those ridiculous "gadget plays" where he had Moss throwing to Robinson in the red zone in a critical situation. That kind of thing was idiotic. But an occassional reverse would be ok with me, especially at mid-field or in their end. In other words, I think we are conservative, but could maybe mix it up a little more.

Eventually we are going to face a team that can't be beat with us just throwing to Taylor and Wiggins 15-yards deep, after everyone else is covered.

Just my $ 0.02.

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

I see where you are coming from. I get bored when we have the ball. Its more fun to see the D playing this year. I belive its just something we will have to get use to until we can improve our O line.
    I.B.O.T. #213

grpape is offline Asst. Coach

BJ will still have to sit in the pocket to get the ball off. Sure, the opposing team may get burnt a couple of times, but during those times the blitz will get to BJ. All it takes is one hit. Like someone else stated, split leg........"Hill, strap on your helmut!" Helmut spelt that way to sound like Col. Klink (sp.) from Hogan's Heros. NO SOUP FOR YOU!

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Oh gawd...I would hate to see what would happen if Shaun Hill came in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast