Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45
  1. #1
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Flex games start Week 10

    As a reminder, the NFL can begin flexing games starting week 10.
    Any noon game or 3:15 game can be switched to the 7:15 game with 12 days notice.
    Since we didn't hear about any switch for week 10, I think that means that the Detroit game will still be a noon kickoff.
    However, with our current QB being a media darling, the best RB in the league, an explosive rookie kick returner/WR, and one of the best offenses in the league, I could see us being candidates for schedule changes in the future.


    Here are the possible Vikings games that could be flexed:
    (Notes:
    The Week 15 game is already scheduled to be the 7:15 game, so if the Vikings are flexed they will be moved OUT of the prime time slot.
    The Week 16 game is MNF so it cannot be flexed)

    Week 10 - vs Detroit Lions
    Week 11 - vs Seattle Seahawks
    Week 12 - vs Chicago Bears
    Week 13 - at Arizona Cardinals
    Week 14 - vs Cincinnati Bengals
    Week 15 - at Carolina Panthers
    Week 17 - vs New York Giants

    Of those, I think the Bears, Benglas, and New York are the only matchups that would be worth flexing into prime time.

    In week 12 (Bears game) the prime time game is Pittsburgh at Baltimore.
    Given that both of those teams are locked in a three way battle for first with the Bengals in a very competitive AFC North, I don't see us bumping them from their spot.

    In week 14 (Bengals game) the prime time game is Philly at New York Giants.
    Another divisional matchup in a division that has a three way race for first, so again, I think it is unlikely.
    However, if either Philly or New York fall off and the Bengals are still in the lead, there is a small possibility here.

    In week 17 (Giants game) there is no prime time game scheduled (there never is in week 17).
    I am not entirely sure if a game can be flexed in week 17, but the NFL website says that flex rules still apply.
    Depending on what New York and Minnesota both have to play for at this point, this is a possibility.
    However, Philly at Dallas is also scheduled for week 17, and this game could have much larger playoff implications.

    Bottom line, I actually don't expect to see Minnesota flexed into any prime time 7:15 games.
    It wouldn't surprise me to see them moved into more 3:15 games though.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #2
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: Flex games start Week 10

    Thanks for the breakdown. Good stuff.

  3. #3
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Flex games start Week 10

    Excellent post my friend.

    In week 14 (Bengals game) the prime time game is Philly at New York Giants.
    Another divisional matchup in a division that has a three way race for first, so again, I think it is unlikely.
    However, if either Philly or New York fall off and the Bengals are still in the lead, there is a small possibility here.
    I hope you are right.
    Not sure I can drink that many Beast Slushies..... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #4
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Flex games start Week 10

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    As a reminder, the NFL can begin flexing games starting week 10.
    Any noon game or 3:15 game can be switched to the 7:15 game with 12 days notice.
    Since we didn't hear about any switch for week 10, I think that means that the Detroit game will still be a noon kickoff.
    However, with our current QB being a media darling, the best RB in the league, an explosive rookie kick returner/WR, and one of the best offenses in the league, I could see us being candidates for schedule changes in the future.
    I'll add some comments in another post.

    If you are interested in this stuff, then I'd suggest joining the forums over at The506.com website.
    Those are the forums run by the guy who does the TV distribution maps.
    Some *great* stuff there.

    Here's a thread on the protected (by CBS/FOX) games that cannot be flexed:
    http://the506.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1255641309

    And this is their thread on the SNF flex possibilities:
    http://the506.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1256700250

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  5. #5
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Flex games start Week 10

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Week 10 - vs Detroit Lions
    Week 11 - vs Seattle Seahawks
    Week 12 - vs Chicago Bears
    Week 13 - at Arizona Cardinals
    Week 14 - vs Cincinnati Bengals
    Week 15 - at Carolina Panthers
    Week 17 - vs New York Giants
    My thoughts.


    First, FOX has already protected the Week 12 matchup between the Vikings and the Bears, so it won't be flexed to Sunday night.
    Could end up as a 3:15 start, however.

    Second - there are limits on the number of PRIME-TIME regular-season games in which a team can be shown.
    I believe the limits are 3 teams can be on six times and then all other teams can be on a maximum of 5 times.
    PRIME-TIME means Monday night, Thursday night and Sunday night - NOT the 3:15 games.

    We might see the Panthers game in Week 15 flexed OUT of the spot in favor of something more attractive - perhaps GB @ PIT or CIN @ SD.
    However, don't discount the Favre factor.
    The two highest rated games of the season have both involved Favre, although with the Green Bay angle involved in both.

    I really don't see any games being flexed this year.
    Too much NFC East involved.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  6. #6
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Flex games start Week 10

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    In week 17 (Giants game) there is no prime time game scheduled (there never is in week 17).
    I am not entirely sure if a game can be flexed in week 17, but the NFL website says that flex rules still apply.
    Depending on what New York and Minnesota both have to play for at this point, this is a possibility.
    However, Philly at Dallas is also scheduled for week 17, and this game could have much larger playoff implications.
    http://www.nfl.com/schedules/tv/flexible

    Yes, they will flex a game into the Sunday Night slot for Week 17.
    Last year, it was Denver @ SD.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  7. #7
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Flex games start Week 10

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Week 10 - vs Detroit Lions
    Week 11 - vs Seattle Seahawks
    Week 12 - vs Chicago Bears
    Week 13 - at Arizona Cardinals
    Week 14 - vs Cincinnati Bengals
    Week 15 - at Carolina Panthers
    Week 17 - vs New York Giants
    My thoughts.


    First, FOX has already protected the Week 12 matchup between the Vikings and the Bears, so it won't be flexed to Sunday night.
    Could end up as a 3:15 start, however.
    I was 100% right on that one.

    NFL & NBC announced that the Sunday night game in Week 12 (PIT @ BAL) will NOT be flexed out.

    Stay tuned until next Tuesday for anything about Week 13 (current SNF game is NE @ MIA).

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  8. #8
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Flex games start Week 10

    Without looking at other teams, I think we have plenty of chances to get flexed.

    - The Bears is a divisional matchup that could decide the NFC North
    - The Cardinals are good and playoff seeding is at stake.
    - MIN vs. CIN is an intriguing matchup between 2 dark horse SB teams.
    - Carolina is coming on strong and if they continue playoffs will be at stake.
    - New York will be scraping for playoff position and MIN could be trying to clinch home-field.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  9. #9
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Flex games start Week 10

    "V" wrote:
    Without looking at other teams, I think we have plenty of chances to get flexed.

    - The Bears is a divisional matchup that could decide the NFC North
    - The Cardinals are good and playoff seeding is at stake.
    - MIN vs. CIN is an intriguing matchup between 2 dark horse SB teams.
    - Carolina is coming on strong and if they continue playoffs will be at stake.
    - New York will be scraping for playoff position and MIN could be trying to clinch home-field.

    Yup my thoughts exactly

    PLenty of flex opportunities

  10. #10
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Flex games start Week 10

    "V" wrote:
    Without looking at other teams, I think we have plenty of chances to get flexed.

    - The Bears is a divisional matchup that could decide the NFC North
    - The Cardinals are good and playoff seeding is at stake.
    - MIN vs. CIN is an intriguing matchup between 2 dark horse SB teams.
    - Carolina is coming on strong and if they continue playoffs will be at stake.
    - New York will be scraping for playoff position and MIN could be trying to clinch home-field.
    The Vikes-Bears game will not be flexed, that had to be decided by yesterday AND it was a protected game by FOX.

    For the Vikes-Cardinals game to be flexed, NBC (and the NFL - remember, NBC can't just decide "We don't want this game" and have it happen - the NFL needs to approve) would need to feel that flexing New England OUT of Sunday night (it's NE @ MIA) is a good business decision.
    I'm not sure that I can see them doing that.
    I think it's far more likely that Fox nationalizes MIN @ ARZ as the primary game in the 3:15 slot.

    Vikes-Bengals is an interesting possibility that grows by the week - however, the Sunday Night game is PHI @ NYG.
    No freaking way that NBC/NFL take the New York market off of a Sunday night.
    Zero chance.
    So, again, I can see the Vikings game being moved to 4:15 to be CBS's main game of the day.
    There is, however, still an issue with that - in that CBS's 4:15 game right now is SD @ DAL.
    Does CBS really swap out a 4:15 game for the Cowboys in favor of the Vikings?

    Vikes-Panthers is already the Sunday night game.
    The only chance to get flexed would be to flex OUT of the Sunday night spot.

    Week 17 is a crapshoot, so I won't call it now.

    REMEMBER - outside of Week 17, the decision to flex a game out/in MUST BE MADE by the Tuesday of the week PRIOR to the game.


    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Set your lineups - THURSDAY games start this week!
    By Zeus in forum Fantasy Football Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-17-2010, 08:17 AM
  2. THURSDAY NIGHT GAMES START TONIGHT!!! (10/12/09)
    By Zeus in forum Fantasy Football Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 08:35 AM
  3. FLEX pick help for Week 1: Nate Burleson or Selvin Young?
    By Red I 360 in forum Fantasy Football Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-22-2008, 09:59 AM
  4. Who do so many games start at 12:00?
    By CCthebest in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-28-2007, 10:51 PM
  5. Week 12 pick'em (remember games start thursday this week)
    By triedandtruevikesfan in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-28-2004, 10:03 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •