Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Five things Vikings fans won't see in 2006

From realfootball365.com;

[size=18px]Five things Vikings fans won't see in 2006[/size]

By Eric Krupka on May 22, 2006 01:43 AM

The 2005 season was filled with distraction, underachieving and injuries for the Minnesota Vikings . It was the quintessential Mike Tice season: mistake filled, extensive winning and losing streaks, blow out losses, not living up to expectations, and another year with the playoffs in their grips, but narrowly missing out.

With a new coaching staff in place, an All-Pro quarterback traded, a new All-Pro guard anchoring the offensive line and plenty of new faces, the 2006 season should be very different for the Vikings. Let's take a look at five common things from 2005 that will no longer be endured by the purple and gold faithful.

5.) The offensive turnover machine

The trading away of Daunte Culpepper to the Miami Dolphins will actually solidify the quarterback position now that the reigns have been permanently handed to the calm, cool, collected, and more careful Brad Johnson. The veteran knows how to manage a game, as evidenced by his Super Bowl season in 2002-2003 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers , and his career record of 65-43, which is the third best win-loss ration among active quarterbacks with at least 50 starts. Culpepper was very up and down with the Vikings. At his high points he was arguably the best quarterback in the game, with only Peyton Manning having a case to be better. However, his lows reached incredibly awful levels. With Culpepper gone, the days of five interception games are over, and the case of fumble-itis he had is also gone. In six seasons as a starter Culpepper has a whopping 122 career turnovers, an average of 20.33 a season. While Johnson, in double the amount of years, has 125 career turnovers. The cannon arm Culpepper possesses is gone, but Johnson's style fits head coach Brad Childress' west coast offense perfectly.

4.) The goofy pencil in Mike Tice's ear

Every game the former head coach would stand on the sideline with the angry smirk on his face and a pencil in his ear. Tice used the pencil not as a fashion statement, but to write down his in-game observations. Unfortunately for Tice, rarely did it transform his team's mistakes, as they continually committed the same blunders week in and week out.

3.) Troy Williamson on the bench

No longer will last year's No. 7 overall pick be seen standing on the sideline, barring injury, of course. He had offseason surgery to remove an abscess from his left hip, but should be fine when training camp begins in July. The new coaching staff loves his potential and speed. He showed plenty of signs of improvement in the offseason programs, and Childress is committed to making him a starter and utilizing his speed on the field more.

2.) Bad offensive line play

Last season saw a unit that looked lost more often than not, and its play reflected it. The offensive line alone committed 48 penalties, 26 of which were false starts; the line also allowed an inexcusable 55 sacks. With the return of All-Pro center Matt Birk from injury, the addition of Hutchinson from the Seattle Seahawks , the acquisition of tackle Artis Hicks from the Eagles and the continued great play of tackle Bryant McKinnie, the Vikings might potentially possess one of the league's elite lines. The improved play from the line would be welcomed to running backs Chester Taylor and Mewelde Moore, and mostly for quarterback Brad Johnson, who would love to spend the season standing upright, rather than running for his life.

1.) Bye Week shenanigans

Under the new regime there will be discipline. There will no longer be the "tradition unlike any other" and no, that is not a reference to the Masters on CBS. The team will be well behaved off the field, and will instill pride in the community and fan base on the field. There will be no negative stigmatism around the team due to boats, strippers, or any of the like. Finally, the Minnesota Vikings can once again focus on winning football games. And that's a good thing.

Get more Minnesota Vikings info at RealFootball365.com

-Eric Krupka can be reached at [email protected]

Five things Vikings fans won't see in 2006

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Five things Vikings fans won't see in 2006

Does this mean we will win the super bowl?

MaddenVodkaAddict is offline Coordinator

Well I'll be. Although I will miss the pencil.
    I Love Kerry Collins (and John Rocker).

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

That's a great article and I agree with them on every point but one....

The improved play from the line would be welcomed to running backs Chester Taylor and Mewelde Moore, and mostly for quarterback Brad Johnson, who would love to spend the season standing upright, rather than running for his life
    I don't think Brad really runs anywhere anymore! :lol:

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I really wish I could go back in time and tell Fred Smoot to book a private yacht to have the-now infamous "Boat Party" on. And then I'd invite myself and get down with some Hotlanta Ho's!

But anyway.. Good article, even if it doesn't really say anything we didn't already know.

twiztedfait is offline Starter

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    I don't think Brad really runs anywhere anymore! :lol:
    LOL

Well, he will have a lot less "OH CRAP" moments then :razz:

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I love optimism!
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

No. 1 should read no sperm T-shirts, instead of no Shenanigans.

Actually we will probably see those shirts all season in opposing venues.

badbois is offline Pro-Bowler

#6: playoffs

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

"badbois" wrote:
    #6: playoffs
    Wow your an optimistic guy! :???:

I like the article, really positive.
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast