singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Five Questions with Pat Williams

[size=18px]Five Questions with Pat Williams[/size]

Staff report
    thenewsstar.com

After nine seasons with the Buffalo Bills, Wossman graduate Pat Williams signed as a free agent last off-season with the Minnesota Vikings.
    While the defensive tackle had a successful individual season, making 67 tackles and 1½ sacks as a key run stopper, the Vikings' season was mired by off-field controversy caused by some of Williams' teammates.

This week, Williams returned to Monroe for a week of charity events, capped with his second annual youth football camp. News-Star sports writer Michael Kern spent a few minutes with Williams talking about the year that was and the upcoming season.

You've been in the NFL for 10 seasons now. When you were a rookie, did you ever think that you would not just last that long but have the thriving career that you have?

Pat Williams: I went into the NFL as an undrafted free agent, so I'm on it every year. I come in with the same attitude every year. I was undrafted, so I'm just trying to make the team again.

Last year was your first year with the Minnesota Vikings, and you came into it in the midst of the team having all kinds of off-field issues. How much did that affect the performance of the team on the field?

It affected us a lot on the field because that was all you would hear about every day. The media didn't want to talk about anything positive. There was negative news every day. 'How do you feel about this? How are you guys going to concentrate on the game.' So it was kind of rough on us.

Now you guys have got a new coach (Brad Childress). Brad Johnson is the quarterback to start the season. It's almost a new start. What are your expectations for this season?

My expectation is that everyone is going to get on the same page, and we're going to go out there and win some games. We've got a brand new coach down there and I'll tell you this is the first off-season I've ever run this much. He came in and he ran us to death, but he has everybody focused and on the same page.

You're a Wossman grad. What did you think of the Wildcats winning district this past year?

I'm proud. Back in the day when I was at Wossman, we were beating everybody. Then things fell off for a little bit, and everybody was saying, 'Well, Wossman is falling back.' Now they are back on track, so I'm very happy.

You're also a former Texas A&M Aggie. Was it tough watching the Texas Longhorns hoist the national championship trophy this past year?

I'm not too mad. But I'm always betting with guys in the locker room and, man, those guys are always messing with me about that. I just say to them that (the Aggies) are just going through some bad times right now. They lost (his former coach R.C. Slocum) and they've got a new coach in there, so they're kind of changing right now and going through a transition. But we're going to be back on top this year.

Five Questions with Pat Williams

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: Five Questions with Pat Williams

Maybe with all this conditioning Pat can be on the field more. And we won't be sucking air in the fourth qtr. like the last couple years under Tice. If our conditioning improves, mental mistakes will also stop being such a issue.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"PurpleTide" wrote:
    Maybe with all this conditioning Pat can be on the field more. And we won't be sucking air in the fourth qtr. like the last couple years under Tice. If our conditioning improves, mental mistakes will also stop being such a issue.
    I think he will be in better physical condition this year. But don't blame Tice for it the last coulpe of years. Tice was not the conditioning coach, that was someone elses job. Someone who was let go & has yet to find work in the NFL. :wink:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

We've got a brand new coach down there and I'll tell you this is the first off-season I've ever run this much. He came in and he ran us to death, but he has everybody focused and on the same page.
    This is great news. I am totally expecting by the end of the season to see this Vikings team winning some big games and in 2007 LOOK OUT!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

run fat man run!!!

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

pat williams with more speed possibly?

hmmmmmmmm

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

i just hope he's more aggresive, still got that i'm gonna run over you attitude.. and can help anchor that line that's gonna terrorize O lines all year long!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Personaly,

Pat was one of the few players on the field last year that always had my attention and played his heart out. If he even gets up just a little on what he contributed last year, I'de hate to be the O lineman facing him..

Would be awesome to see him come in about 25 lbs lighther though, and with some stamina......Go Pat....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.