Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Five Plays the Minnesota Vikings Should Have on Speed Dial

"gagarr" wrote:
    What I would like to see is plays that make the D go crazy.
    i.e. have AD, CT, and Harvin in the huddle and play musical chairs as to who sets up at tailback.

What I do know is Favre will help the running game more than he will the passing game.
    D's will respect the passing game enough to really open up the running game.
    Just look at what happened to the yds/att when Favre went from the Pack to the Jets.

Ryan Grant

2007 5.1 yds/att

Diff - 1.2
    Thomas Jones
    2007 3.6

Diff +0.9

Can you just imagine if AD can have a similar bump in yds/att from his 2008 4.8

to a 2009 of 5.8.
    Given AD's 363 att that would result in 2105 yds.

No D is going to respect TJ or Sage enough not to stack the box when AD is in the backfield, until TJ or Sage have 6 strait games with 100+ ratings, 300+yds, and 3TD's.
    Whereas Favre will have to have 6 strait games of
    < 70 rating, < 200 yds, and more INT's than TD's before the D's will regularly stack the box.
    Let me get this straight, you are saying that because opposing Ds won't realize that Favre sucks until week 7, our running game will improve? Is that what you're saying?
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"V" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    i.e. have AD, CT, and Harvin in the huddle and play musical chairs as to who sets up at tailback.

What I do know is Favre will help the running game more than he will the passing game.
    Just look at what happened to the yds/att when Favre went from the Pack to the Jets.

Ryan Grant

2007 5.1 yds/att

Diff - 1.2
    Thomas Jones
    2007 3.6

Diff +0.9

to a 2009 of 5.8.

No D is going to respect TJ or Sage enough not to stack the box when AD is in the backfield, until TJ or Sage have 6 strait games with 100+ ratings, 300+yds, and 3TD's.
    < 70 rating, < 200 yds, and more INT's than TD's before the D's will regularly stack the box.
    Let me get this straight, you are saying that because opposing Ds won't realize that Favre sucks until week 7, our running game will improve? Is that what you're saying?
    I'm saying that D's will have respect for Favre that they will never have for TJ or Sage.
    Because of that respect the running game will flourish.
    Also, because AD is also getting a high level of respect, the pressure won't be on Favre to win games.

As for Favre sucking, it must be a personal thing with you, because his stats don't agree.
    Especially, when you take all the handicaps he had with the Jets last year, which he wouldn't have with the Vikes.

[size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Yfz01 is offline Asst. Coach

"gagarr" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:

Ryan Grant

2007 5.1 yds/att

Diff - 1.2
    Thomas Jones
    2007 3.6

Diff +0.9

to a 2009 of 5.8.

I'm saying that D's will have respect for Favre that they will never have for TJ or Sage.
    Because of that respect the running game will flourish.
    Also, because AD is also getting a high level of respect, the pressure won't be on Favre to win games.

As for Favre sucking, it must be a personal thing with you, because his stats don't agree.
    Especially, when you take all the handicaps he had with the Jets last year, which he wouldn't have with the Vikes.

handicaps?
    ???

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Last time I checked the Jets played with 11 guys on offense, had two pro bowl running backs, so I'm mystified why you say they were handicapped. Farve simply threw away the Jets playoff hope's.

If you don't respect the pass, you will get burned, I don't care who the QB is. We have made steady improvement, and even without Farve, we will be much improved again. Either Sage, or Tarvaris, will be effective. We are improving, and aren't as far off as people think.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"gagarr" wrote:

Ryan Grant

2007 5.1 yds/att

Diff - 1.2
    Thomas Jones
    2007 3.6

Diff +0.9

to a 2009 of 5.8.

LOL! So that is what your earmark standard is before defenses will respect the pass?

Can you show me a 6 game stretch where Favre has accomplished that?

How many QB's in history have ever accomplished that?

Can you show me where Favre has had a 6 game stretch throwing 300+?

Can you show me where Favre has had a 6 game stretch with a QB rating of 100+?

Don't be setting targets that Favre himself hasn't reached.

BTW, Jone averaged over 4.0 YPC in 5 of his 6 last years playing (he had 4.6 YPC in 2003 with BJ under center & had 4.3 with Orton under center)

Another stat the Favre camp doesn't tell you

Cotchery 2007: 1130,
    13.8 YPR
    Cotcery 2008: 858,
    12.1 YPR

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Damn it Steve, I hate it when I agree with you...LOL

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:

Ryan Grant

2007 5.1 yds/att

Diff - 1.2
    Thomas Jones
    2007 3.6

Diff +0.9

to a 2009 of 5.8.

LOL! So that is what your earmark standard is before defenses will respect the pass?

BTW, Jone averaged over 4.0 YPC in 5 of his 6 last years playing (he had 4.6 YPC in 2003 with BJ under center & had 4.3 with Orton under center)

13.8 YPR
    12.1 YPR
    Just to be fair their other starter did improve.

Yds

Avg

Coles 2008 850 12.1
    Coles 2007 646 11.7

As did Leon Washington.

Rushing

Yds
    Avg
    TD

2008 448 5.9 6
    2007 353 5.0 3

Receiving

Yds

Avg

TD

2007 213 5.9

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

"There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:

Ryan Grant

2007 5.1 yds/att

Diff - 1.2
    Thomas Jones
    2007 3.6

Diff +0.9

to a 2009 of 5.8.

13.8 YPR
    12.1 YPR
    Just to be fair their other starter did improve.

Yds

Avg

Coles 2008 850 12.1
    Coles 2007 646 11.7

As did Leon Washington.

Rushing

Yds
    Avg
    TD

2008 448 5.9 6
    2007 353 5.0 3

Receiving

Yds

Avg

TD

2007 213 5.9
    Ah! But when did they improve?

All we here from Favre camp is "He didn't play well because he was injured & throwing like shit the past 5 games". So lets look at that RB breakdown;

Jones;

1st 11 games: 4.4YPC, TD: 0.8/game
    last 5 games: 5.0 YPC, TD: 0.8/game

http://www.nfl.com/players/thomasjones/gamelogs?id=JON755755

Washington;

1st 11 games: 5.5YPC, TD: 0.4/game
    last 5 games: 7.4 YPC, TD: 0.4/game

It seems to me that these RB's did much better when Favre was injured, than when he was healthy.

Let's also not forget that Kellen Clemens, not Pennington started 8 of those games in 2007.

Let's also not forget that;

75% of Favre's passes were thrown for 10 yards or less. (50% 0-10 yards, 25% behind the LOS)

Only 4% of Favre's passes were thrown for 30+ yards & his completion % was only 17.4%. Those passes netted only 2 TD's all year. 5 of those or 22% were intercepted.

With that said, it's clearly evident that Favre is no longer the long ball threat that he once was & teams are quickly picking up on this, if they haven't already.

With 75% of his passes going for 10 yards or less & AD as our RB, I don't see where teams are going to start pulling that 8th man out of the box. With 8 men in the box, you can still cover that 10 yard zone.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Garland" wrote:
    I
    hope the 99 yrd bomb to Berrian is on that list
    ;D
    The one QB we had who could make that read and sell the play to make it work is no longer on the roster.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast