Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Five keys for the Vikings to make a championship run

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "purple_glory_dreamer" wrote:
    I agree with the depth in the secondary.
    I think 2 of the most important things are consistent line play.
    Our O-line needs to continue as it did the last 4 games and not the first 4 games and keep Favre off his back.

Our D-line needs to stay dominant and allow our secondary to make some big plays.
    The giants showed two years ago what you can do with dominant line play.
    And overall I think we have a better team than that team.
    I think our secondary needs to START making big plays... we have to be near the league low in INTs by our secondary.
    For us to compete and win the NFC I think we need to execute better on D, namely tackling as mentioned by others, but also better gap control by our LBs on run plays to get back to our dominating stats on rushing defense... also, we need to start forcing more turn overs.
    We've been lucky that our O isn't making many mistakes cause the D definitely isn't giving them a short field often.
    We have maybe 6 turn overs on the year by our Offense?
    Normally that'd be great but our D has been lacking explosive plays.
    The Vikings are tied for 23rd in the league with 6 picks.
    They are, however, 4th in the league in forced fumbles with 12 and tied for 8th in recovered fumbles with 7.

More to "explosive plays" than interceptions.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    Our O-line needs to continue as it did the last 4 games and not the first 4 games and keep Favre off his back.

Our D-line needs to stay dominant and allow our secondary to make some big plays.
    I think our secondary needs to START making big plays... we have to be near the league low in INTs by our secondary.
    For us to compete and win the NFC I think we need to execute better on D, namely tackling as mentioned by others, but also better gap control by our LBs on run plays to get back to our dominating stats on rushing defense... also, we need to start forcing more turn overs.
    We've been lucky that our O isn't making many mistakes cause the D definitely isn't giving them a short field often.
    They are, however, 4th in the league in forced fumbles with 12 and tied for 8th in recovered fumbles with 7.

=Z=

Excellent post

I was going to bring up the FF's.. We always seem to buckle down close to the goalline and create a turnover somehow and keep the opposing teams out of the endzone

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Get more creative = yes but.....
    I think we have some stuff up our sleeve that will work and that we are not willing to put on tape so soon.
    We saw glimpses of Harvin in some sets early on in the season and in the preseason.
    No to the Wildcat.

Hold Harvin back = yes but....
    Not that we have to hold him back, but if BB can get back out here after the bye and make a consistent and healthy contribution for the rest of the season, Harvin will naturally get a few less touches.
    Reynaud would be nice to have back also, not that he is going to spell Harvin but just for depth and rotation if necessary.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"V4L" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:

=Z=

Excellent post

I was going to bring up the FF's.. We always seem to buckle down close to the goalline and create a turnover somehow and keep the opposing teams out of the endzone

Yes.
    Thank you for the clarification on the amount of turnovers.
    I do remember the beginning of the year they were in the lead at one point.
    The issue is most of them were in the redzone so it stopped opposing drives but didn't do much to help the offense.
    The defense has it's ups and downs but I would like to see more aggresiveness attacking the ball.
    I can understand the bend but not break scheme but that often backfires.
    The Vikings are 15th in the league in points given up.
    That's nothing but average on a 7-1 team.
    The bend but not break philosophy may not be the best route to take.
    I know they have been ahead in most games in the second half but I would really like to see some thorough asskickings instead of the constant nail biting at the end of games.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"V4L" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:

=Z=

Excellent post

According to this site, the Vikings are 18th in overall takeaways (6 int's and 7 fumbles recovered) for 13 total.
    +5 in TO margin for the year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/sortabl...season=regular

V4L

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:

=Z=

Excellent post

According to this site, the Vikings are 18th in overall takeaways (6 int's and 7 fumbles recovered) for 13 total.
    +5 in TO margin for the year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/sortabl...season=regular

Thank you sir

As long as we keep that TO margin over zero im ok

Just keep on winning!

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Barring the obvious of scoring more points, which really isn't a key but a goal.

1. Concur with stay healthy although the Vikes are better than some at having capable backups.
    Won't name not to jinx.

2. Young players continue to improve...
    Harvin, Sully, Loadholt, and Tyrell.

3. More creative play calling is OK, but only Miami has been effective at the wildcat.
    I just want to see a few spicier plays like reverses, a flea flicker, or HB pass, which IMO would exploit defenses keying and over pursuing AD.
    Just a few a game to make Dcoord plan and D players to think when they see a fake reverse.

4. STOP letting the other team back into games.
    Play the same offense and defensive plan if it worked in the first half.
    Don't let up to protect a lead, go for the throat and rip it out.
    As I've posted MANY times, Vikes haven't goose egged a team since Dec 5th 1993 against Detroit.
    I want a GOOSE EGG this week against Detroit.
    **tantrum alert**
    I WANT IT!
    I WANT IT!
    I WANT IT!
    I WANT IT!

5. Have fun!
    As expectations for this team rise the more pressure will build and the team needs to continue to have a fun attitude.
    I'm sure that was part of Chilly's venture into cross dressing.
    But each leader (Favre, Jared, Hutch, AD, EJ, and Winfield) needs his group not only hold focus, but keep it loose.
    Good leaders can do this and I think the Vikes have them.

[size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"V4L" wrote:
    We seem to have the Int discussion alot every year

It's the scheme not the players

The way we run the cover 2 is keep everything in front and come make the tackle

I don't like it.. But that's the way it is
    I disagree. If this defense is executed properly there should be plenty of INT opportunities. I know we give up a lot of yards but there is no reason we can't get picks.
    Anyone know which teams in the NFL run a cover 2 defense? Be nice to see how the rest stack up in comparison. The colts always seem to get alot of interceptions. I think the problem is we don't have a Bob Sanders type in our secondary.

V4L

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    We seem to have the Int discussion alot every year

It's the scheme not the players

The way we run the cover 2 is keep everything in front and come make the tackle

I don't like it.. But that's the way it is
    I disagree. If this defense is executed properly there should be plenty of INT opportunities. I know we give up a lot of yards but there is no reason we can't get picks.
    Anyone know which teams in the NFL run a cover 2 defense? Be nice to see how the rest stack up in comparison. The colts always seem to get alot of interceptions. I think the problem is we don't have a Bob Sanders type in our secondary.

Well we had Sharper who was a sick ass ball hawk.. Problem was the safeties play back on each side of the field

And our corners give up a 10 yard cushion

Teams learned all you need to do is hit the quick slants and try to shake the LBs

Or hit the skinny posts behind the LBs and inbetween the safeties

I could be wrong, but to me I feel it's the scheme.. We play a very lose cover 2

I am a huge fan of the bump and run coverage.. I feel we should do more of this with our corners

V4L

I do however think our CBs could get better at reacting to the comeback routes

And maybe jump the slants better.. They seem to break up a decent ammount of them but rarely come up with a pick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast