Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ranger is offline Coach

Re: Fitness levels in the NFL

"Mark_The_Viking" wrote:
    Some good answers thanks, it wasn't a put down on NFL just trying to understand how they train. They seem to spend a lot of time building muscle power for explosion. more muscle means quicker use of energy.

As you say its a horses for courses situation. There are some big guys in rugby and they do spend a lot of time in cardio activity on the field however they don't get a lot of time
    to recover as tey are almost always involved in the play.

Totally agree with the soccer situation though and the major reason I don't follow or watch it unless its an England game is because of the pathetic players and their ability to fall over at the slightest touch. Their insistance on trying to get other players booked and sent off and the fact that a lot of premiership footballers flat out cheat. (bring on replays in soccer).

I showed some friends of mine a clip from the Saints game last season I think it was Erin Henderson got levellled during a return on special teams and just got up and started running after the play again, I asked them how many soccer players would have done that? Got a few raised eyebrows and a little bit of respect for my sport
    Just bring up flopping.
    Flopping ruins any chance I have at liking soccer...just murders the sport for me.
    The closest we have are kickers trying to get a penalty, and it's pretty hilarious to watch.
    Is it any coincidence that a lot of kickers used to play soccer?

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    Keep in mind that NFL players train for short bursts, and value size, explosiveness, agility, and strength far more than cardiovascular endurance.

The average NFL player is approximately 6'3" 245 pounds. If you were to exclude lineman I'd say that number would go down to about 6'1" 220. And excluding linemen, that's a LEAN 220. Plus the weight and resistance of pads.

The cardiovascular demand at of a 6'1" 220 pound man is huge compared to that of an average pro soccer player at 5'10" 160. Who have virtually no value on size or strength. But a high value on cardiovascular endurance. They do place a high value on speed, but it's a different kind of speed.

A lot of Europeans and American Foot Fairies talk about football players like they're slow and out of shape. But I'd love to see even 6'1"(who is only 160) Christiano Ronaldo try to make it through an NFL practice.

Soccer is mostly standing around anyway, 18 guys on the field 2-3 chasing the ball, the rest standing around waiting. I once read that some soccer players run 4 miles per game. 4 miles in 90 minutes, that's only 2-3 miles per hour, a slow jog. An NFL offense runs about 70 plays per game. So 70 bursts at full speed(much faster than 3 mph, probably like 20mph for most of the DBs and WRs) and it's not just running. Blocking, pushing another big, amazing athlete for 5-7 seconds, or beating the press then running a route is by no means easy and has a very heavy anaerobic demand as well, something soccer lacks entirely.

You have to be at full speed, every single play.

The NFL has the best athletes in the world on display. We have 350 pound men running 5 second 40 yard dashes. Do you know how fast that is? Hint: faster than 90% on here.

I think this video speaks volumes to the NFL athlete compared to the average guy:
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    I would like to see his run against Phat Pat.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    Keep in mind that NFL players train for short bursts, and value size, explosiveness, agility, and strength far more than cardiovascular endurance.

The average NFL player is approximately 6'3" 245 pounds. If you were to exclude lineman I'd say that number would go down to about 6'1" 220. And excluding linemen, that's a LEAN 220. Plus the weight and resistance of pads.

The cardiovascular demand at of a 6'1" 220 pound man is huge compared to that of an average pro soccer player at 5'10" 160. Who have virtually no value on size or strength. But a high value on cardiovascular endurance. They do place a high value on speed, but it's a different kind of speed.

A lot of Europeans and American Foot Fairies talk about football players like they're slow and out of shape. But I'd love to see even 6'1"(who is only 160) Christiano Ronaldo try to make it through an NFL practice.

Soccer is mostly standing around anyway, 18 guys on the field 2-3 chasing the ball, the rest standing around waiting. I once read that some soccer players run 4 miles per game. 4 miles in 90 minutes, that's only 2-3 miles per hour, a slow jog. An NFL offense runs about 70 plays per game. So 70 bursts at full speed(much faster than 3 mph, probably like 20mph for most of the DBs and WRs) and it's not just running. Blocking, pushing another big, amazing athlete for 5-7 seconds, or beating the press then running a route is by no means easy and has a very heavy anaerobic demand as well, something soccer lacks entirely.

You have to be at full speed, every single play.

The NFL has the best athletes in the world on display. We have 350 pound men running 5 second 40 yard dashes. Do you know how fast that is? Hint: faster than 90% on here.

I think this video speaks volumes to the NFL athlete compared to the average guy:
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    I would like to see his run against Phat Pat.
    The big man's pretty quick off the line, his initial burst for the first 10 yards would easily carry him the rest of the way. Inertia.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

I think some of the assumptions about Soccer players are unfounded. No disrespect but 3 subs in an entire game shows a true devotion to fitness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12