Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

First Win Can't Hide Vikings' Many Warts

First win can't hide Vikings' many warts

I was particularly taken aback by this section:

Overall, the Vikings' second-half offensive numbers this season have been putrid. Excluding Sunday's kneel-down series and final-second possessions in losses to Detroit and Tampa Bay, the team has had 24 second-half possessions. Those have translated into one touchdown, five field goals and 14 punts.

On those 24 second-half drives, the Vikings have averaged only 19.5 net yards per series.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Teams know that our number one goal, when ahead like that, is to shorten the game by running the ball. Just the way things are. All teams try to do it. The way to negate it is to gamble and try to committ as many to the box as you can and not give up a bit pass play.

Our problem (wart) is that our QB can't take advantage of that as our QB can't even hit a WR standing out in the flats with no one around him.

Until we fix the QB problem (wart), our second half production is going to continue to be pretty bleak.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Teams know that our number one goal, when ahead like that, is to shorten the game by running the ball. Just the way things are. All teams try to do it. The way to negate it is to gamble and try to committ as many to the box as you can and not give up a bit pass play.

Our problem (wart) is that our QB can't take advantage of that as our QB can't even hit a WR standing out in the flats with no one around him.

Until we fix the QB problem (wart), our second half production is going to continue to be pretty bleak.
    How does that explain our decent production in the first half? We have the same piss poor QB making the same piss poor throws.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    How does that explain our decent production in the first half? We have the same piss poor QB making the same piss poor throws.
    Good point my friend.

I wish I had the time and the tape, but I bet if I did, I would find that the defenses were back far enough to allow our receivers to "Settle" into the zones. When they can do that Dnabb has had success getting th eball do them.

As the game gets more "One Dimensional" (Run for us)/(Pass for them), their defenses tighten up towards the line to stop AD which also clogs up the zones those recievers were "Settling" in making it harder for the receivers to find openings as well as tightening the windows Dnabb has to throw into.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

TheJazzyOne is offline Rookie
    It seems like on about 70% of McNabb's completions, his receivers are still having to hit the ground to get the ball... even when they have space.

I realize I'm probably exaggerating the percentage there because of frustration, but I've never watched a guy throw so poorly so often. Especially a former multi-time Pro Bowler
    Check out my Minnesota Vikings Blog, The Viking Ship

Quote Originally Posted by TheJazzyOne View Post
    It seems like on about 70% of McNabb's completions, his receivers are still having to hit the ground to get the ball... even when they have space.

I realize I'm probably exaggerating the percentage there because of frustration, but I've never watched a guy throw so poorly so often. Especially a former multi-time Pro Bowler
    I don't have anything to back it up, however, I bet your not that far off with your percentages. Atleast the completions that he has had were the receiver was moving.

Alot of the ones that he has completed are to receivers who aren't moving and most of those the guys have to go low to get them.

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Alot of the ones that he has completed are to receivers who aren't moving and most of those the guys have to go low to get them.
    i noticed, while watching the replays on the 60 pass to Aromashodu, it was one of the ugliest knuckleball of a throw i've ever seen. even passes that are accurate are thrown poorly.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikes09 View Post
    i noticed, while watching the replays on the 60 pass to Aromashodu, it was one of the ugliest knuckleball of a throw i've ever seen. even passes that are accurate are thrown poorly.
    Yep great idea bringing in a veteran QB to mentor Webb and Ponder, least this way they'll learn how not to thrown the damn ball. Only we could bring in a vet who has worst mechanics than Tavaris Jackson and is actually more unpopular.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I am actually starting to get sentimental for the Time Jackson was here and find myself asking for the return of the KAO every 4th quarter.

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    I still don't understand why Frazier is sticking with McNabb? Why? I'm not at practice or in the locker room. Does McNabb bring something that the others don't? Are they truely not ready to take the helm? I am at a loss and I don't have any answers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast