Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I hear ya my friend, but what do you expect from a young team? I would love to see them start lighting it up, but until we get some better coaching in here, that's what we are going to have to watch.
    Whatever happened to your "Don't blame the coaches for the players failure to do their job & execute the plays" philosophy?
    Last edited by singersp; 08-12-2012 at 09:33 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

I think that as we watch the staff try to make Joe into a "Throwing" QB, his instincts will start to be hindered. Nothing new, we saw that with the last QB that was more of a runner than a thrower.
    You do know that Ponder ran the ball just as much as Webb did, even though Webb was in the game almost 3 times longer, don't you?

Don't kid yourself, Ponder doesn't hesitate to take off running & way to easily.
    Last edited by singersp; 08-12-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Is that two TB's and two FG's for our boy? We should have jettisoned Shortwell years ago.

The touchbacks are great, but lets wait until he kicks some FG's a little longer than 39 & 26 yards before slobbering all over him.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    You do know that Ponder ran the ball just as much as Webb did, even though Webb was in the game almost 3 times longer, don't you?

Don't kid yourself, Ponder doesn't hesitate to take off running way to easily.
    If you look at the ratio of rush attempts to pass attempts for both Webb and Ponder, Ponder is in the 10% neighbourhood while Webb was first year 20% and 35% last season.

Not so sure about the 3 times longer since Ponder took 18 snaps and Webb took 14.

But I can see where Marty is coming from as Webb didn't seem to be as comfortable (or natural) and I think he was holding to a pass first over lets go and get something done now.
    But it is only the first preseason game and is difficult to tell with the limited....well everything, play calling and support players around both guys, especially since the Vikings will be facing the niners early in the season.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    The touchbacks are great, but lets wait until he kicks some FG's a little longer than 39 & 26 yards before slobbering all over him.
    You do realize how windy it was, mixed in with it being his first kick in the NFL, don't you?

In the end, I'm not slobbering, your just pissed you don't have a "Proven" name you recognize on the roster performing kicking duties.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Don't kid yourself, Ponder doesn't hesitate to take off running way to easily.
    What the heck in the wide wide world of sports does that have to do with anything?

Said it many times, but I will say it again just to make sure you remember......Our variant of the WCO requires the QB to be a bit mobile, and yes, to even get underway/shift colors if he has to. That's why they get hurt so much.

So, keeping that in mind, I don't think I've ever said anything bad about any of our QB's running. All I'm saying here is that Joe's first instinct is to run then pass when it needs to be the other way around, you know, kindof like Ponder.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Whatever happened to your "Don't blame the coaches for the players failure to do their job & execute the plays" philosophy?
    What? Didn't I say the I blame both, but when it comes to Ponder (and the rest of this team) I am going to blame the coaches first, not the players.

I think your getting confused again. Old age I think. Your still my pal though.....

Quote Originally Posted by digital420 View Post
    right.. 1st pre-season game.. what did we expect to see? KAO gen 2??? maybe flat out dominating performance?
    Good to see an old friend posting again. Top shelf my friend, top shelf indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    If you look at the ratio of rush attempts to pass attempts for both Webb and Ponder, Ponder is in the 10% neighbourhood while Webb was first year 20% and 35% last season.

Not so sure about the 3 times longer since Ponder took 18 snaps and Webb took 14.

But I can see where Marty is coming from as Webb didn't seem to be as comfortable (or natural) and I think he was holding to a pass first over lets go and get something done now.
    But it is only the first preseason game and is difficult to tell with the limited....well everything, play calling and support players around both guys, especially since the Vikings will be facing the niners early in the season.
    Looked at em all........Your at the top of all spreadsheets so I can't move you up anymore, however, just in case, .......Excellent post my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by vikesrgreat2 View Post
    I agree that the complaining is absolutely in mid-season form! I'm not going to worry at all about a week 1 preseason game. If the Vikings' run defense gives up 260 yards in the Week 3 preseason game (when the starters likely play well into the second half), then that will be a cause for concern. Until then, a 17-6 week 1 preseason lioss should be no reason to panic.

That being said, if the defense (which is Frazier's specailty) does not improve, then I agree it will be a long season for the Vikings. If that happens, and if Frazier gets fired, then it will take that much longer to properly retool the team. Personally, I'm not sure that a coaching change at the end of the year, no matter what happens, would be value-added to the Vikings.

Just my thoughts, for what they're worth. Everyone have a GREAT day today!
    OK, didn't have you on any spread sheet. Consider yourself added as well as tracked from now on.

Loved your initial thought on judging the defense come week 3, however, I will caution you to take a look at the trend that has been set over the last 3 years. I suspect that the new coords idea of rotating the guys to keep them fresh won't have the desired result. All teams will do is continue to run at the undersized (albeit fast) DLmen which will force us to do exactly what Reed did......

Overcompensate/try to help hold a gap that isn't his which will then result in huge plays like we saw from Kap.

Again, good post and I agree. To early to tell, but my guess is we will see the defense continue to degrade in the run stopping area and it will trickle down to the pass defense as well.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast