Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Looking through a bunch of mock drafts today, Bortles seems to be the new consensus #1 overall pick to the Texans.

For the Vikings at #8, about half of the one's I saw have us taking Bridgewater.

Doesn't mean anything I realize, but Bortles does seem to the be QB du jour. Apparently Houston likes the ceiling for this guy and the amount of improvement he's shown in a relatively short time. Apparently he never moved to QB until sometime in his HS sophomore year and while most QB's of note were spending their summers in QB camps trying to get college scholarships, Bortles played baseball.

Almost all also agree that this guy should sit for a year and fix a number of issues before being thrown out on the field and perhaps ruin his career before it gets started.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Almost all also agree that this guy should sit for a year and fix a number of issues before being thrown out on the field and perhaps ruin his career before it gets started.
    Precisely why taking him first over all is so risky. He won't be afforded the luxury of sitting a year. He'll be put in too early and learn on the job.
    Didn't the Texans do the same thing with Carr ?

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Precisely why taking him first over all is so risky. He won't be afforded the luxury of sitting a year. He'll be put in too early and learn on the job.
    Didn't the Texans do the same thing with Carr ?
    they did but they also had a shitty team when they drafted Carr... I think Houston has some weapons in place and a solid team to turn things around really quickly... If they draft Bortles they will be just fine... They have a decent line a good rb, receivers and a good defense...

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    they did but they also had a shitty team when they drafted Carr... I think Houston has some weapons in place and a solid team to turn things around really quickly... If they draft Bortles they will be just fine... They have a decent line a good rb, receivers and a good defense...
    They may be willing to delay his start at least for a partial season as well. Apparently they have enough confidence in Fitzpatrick from what the org is saying, mostly for all the reasons you outline above.

That is, if they feel they have a team that can compete, then developing a rookie QB in a rushed pace may have less importance to the team.

There will be pressure due to the fact he would be the #1 overall pick. But that shouldn't be real pressure with a smart organization. Mostly just what irrational owner's/gm's and the world's talking heads put on it. He should only start if they feel it will help the team win or help him develop into a franchise QB, any other reason is silly.

What's more important to Houston, a long term franchise QB or getting value in year one from their top pick.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    They may be willing to delay his start at least for a partial season as well. Apparently they have enough confidence in Fitzpatrick from what the org is saying, mostly for all the reasons you outline above.

That is, if they feel they have a team that can compete, then developing a rookie QB in a rushed pace may have less importance to the team.

There will be pressure due to the fact he would be the #1 overall pick. But that shouldn't be real pressure with a smart organization. Mostly just what irrational owner's/gm's and the world's talking heads put on it. He should only start if they feel it will help the team win or help him develop into a franchise QB, any other reason is silly.

What's more important to Houston, a long term franchise QB or getting value in year one from their top pick.
    I completely agree. I do not think that, if they get a Manziel or Bortles, they will rush him in just because he was drafted #1. Remember, QBs are not like any other position on the team; he touches the ball on EVERY offensive play, and as such, the timeline to start is based on the individual player. Washington traded away EVERYTHING for RGIII, I don't think they felt they had a choice; the Texans are under no such pressures.

I expect Manziel to create a snowstorm of activity on possibilities, but in the end, I think it is more likely the Texans trade away the #1 to someone who has a man-crush on Clowney. That's just my opinion, but I keep hearing rumors they are shopping the pick around.

I don't think any of the current QBs are worth what RGIII was, but someone might think Clowney is...
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Everybody wants to move back and nearly nobody wants to move up...of course, it could all change once names start coming off of the board and runs happen at certain positions, but, at the moment, it does not look like we'll see as many first round trades as we have lately.

I still think HOU might just surprise folks and go with an Offensive Line upgrade. Injuries and ineffectiveness hurt them there last year and were at least partially responsible for Schaub's plethora of pick-sixes. They should know from Carr 1.0 that too much pressure is no good for a young QB...in more ways than one.

I also think that might only be the beginning of the QBs dropping. IF it is true that none of these QBs are worthy of a top ten pick, why the hell should we all be expected to reach for them? With guys like Dalton, Kaepernick, and Wilson from rounds 2-3 finding so much success, more teams may be willing to wait, and take more of a BPA approach. Specially given the amount of talent at other positions.

And, lastly, there always seems to be a few of the big, strong boys who can move who climb up draft boards at the last moment because players around 300 lbs who can run are rare.

There may be some angry people, but I'm starting to get the feeling that 2 of the top 3 QBs might still be on the board at our pick...and after it. Because the value not only doesn't fit our slot, but because there are simply higher ranked options still there.

Last year only one first round pick went to a QB, and it seems like most mocks had Smith going top ten...
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Following that logic further down the path...we could then package one of our thirds to move our 2nd up, and back into the 1st round, to select whichever QB is falling. SEA's third and our 2nd add up to the Broncos' no.31, or just before all the shitty, QB-needy teams pick again at the top of the 2nd. And it's a fit for them too, because they have more holes than cap space left if they want to compete with an NFC team in the superbowl, and could use some youthful (and cheaper) talent.

Our third and 2nd combined would add up to around SD or CIN, or no.24-25, i.e. just in front of the Browns who are very likely to be looking QB with their 2nd pick. And in that late first range, nobody will fault us for picking up a Johnny Freakin Football, Carr, Bortles or Bidgewater type of project.

And the best part is not only do land our potential QB of the future, but an immediate defensive difference maker earlier in the first and we still have a third round pick either way too! Perhaps, an every down LB like Mack or Mosley; or a real top notch shut-down Cornerback like Gilbert or Dennard. Any one of those guys would improve our third down defense tremendously...an give our young QB half a chance in hell to win some games.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12