Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Pretty decent article... although, how do you ding manziel for bad pocket awareness and give him credit for good pocket awareness...

Also, if Derek Carr has poor pocket awareness and accuracy... I think that should be a bigger negative than say mobility, etc. I don't want another Ponder back there who gets scared in the face of the blitz.. His brother David has the same issues... I think i'm good on that... bring on Bridgewater!!

purpleblood32 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    i hope that when it comes to the draft ...they look at all the things there guy has acommplished over their college career ...his character ...and look at the tape the tape doesnt not lie ...then there is heart ..i rather say look for the fire in his eye his determination to be great they all had it walter payton, jerry rice, joe montana ....tom brady ......hey they all know what the right thing to say at an interview ... even we do ...

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    What scares me about Bridgewater is his "ability" to lose accuracy under pressure. His pro-day showed us that. What that means (to me, anyway) is he might give us 10~12 wins in the regular season, then go Peyton/Dalton on us and fall apart in the post season.

I do not knowa lot about Bortles, so the jury is out on him for me... but Manziel, no matter if he is up by 20 or down by 14, plays with a fire that inspires me. Maturity WILL come, this isn't a WR that can act like T.O. for 10 years and be successful; he needs to be "the MAN" for his team, and temper tantrums do not work (see Sanchez in the last 2 years and Cam Newton's second year).

If he is available, I really think we should take the chance. But then, I'm a "burn out instead of fading away" sort of guy...
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer
    Does Terrelle Pryor's availability intrigue anyone?

Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    What scares me about Bridgewater is his "ability" to lose accuracy under pressure. His pro-day showed us that. What that means (to me, anyway) is he might give us 10~12 wins in the regular season, then go Peyton/Dalton on us and fall apart in the post season.
    I could be wrong about Bridgewater but I really hope the pro day allows him to fall to us. A pro day is a completely different type of pressure that IMO translates very little to a real football game. Also it doesn't highlight his strengths...pocket presence, reading a defense, and working through progressions. I put more stock in his bowl game this year. Even though Miami isn't what they once were, the spotlight was on, draft talk was out there, and he responded with 35 for 45, 447 yards 3 TD 0 INT...his best statistical game of the year.

...not gonna lie though...the small hands do concern me if he's playing outdoors in Minnesota. Maybe the glove (which for some reason he decided not to wear on pro day) helps that.

David Fales in round 4 as the 2nd QB we draft,because its looking more and more like they will take 2 QBs

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan620 View Post
    David Fales in round 4 as the 2nd QB we draft,because its looking more and more like they will take 2 QBs
    Wasting a draft pick on a second quarterback would be a foolish move, for the Vikings, with so many other needs.
    There is a concept of building a team, then finding a QB, like Seattle and San Francisco have done, or drafting the Quarterback and building a team around him, like the Colts and 'Skins.
    I favor team building first, because I think it gives a young QB a much better chance to succeed in the NFL.
    Many of the bottom of the league teams will acquire new QB's this off season. But most of those teams don't have a good enough team around the new QB to be successful.
    The Vikings have a lot of holes to fill despite their free agency moves, so I hope they take a defensive stud with their first pick.
    But, if Bortles is there at 8, he may be worth taking.

Rage4Order is offline Rookie
    Once again, None of the big 3 QBs are worth pick 8. Picking at 8 should always get u someone who can help right away. At best these QBs are late first rounders.

Fales is a very accurate QB, but a subpar arm. Not a Norv type of QB. I have watched a lot of tape on some of these QBs. Im liking Mettenberger. I also think that a Qb out of Cornell named Matthews could be a late round steal. Very underrated because he played at small school. Watch some tape on this guy. He can make all the throws.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Wasting a draft pick on a second quarterback would be a foolish move, for the Vikings, with so many other needs.
    There is a concept of building a team, then finding a QB, like Seattle and San Francisco have done, or drafting the Quarterback and building a team around him, like the Colts and 'Skins.
    I favor team building first, because I think it gives a young QB a much better chance to succeed in the NFL.
    Many of the bottom of the league teams will acquire new QB's this off season. But most of those teams don't have a good enough team around the new QB to be successful.
    The Vikings have a lot of holes to fill despite their free agency moves, so I hope they take a defensive stud with their first pick.
    But, if Bortles is there at 8, he may be worth taking.
    I'm with you here for the most part...building confidence (or destroying it) can be huge for a young guys development, and putting at least most of a good team around him would obviously be in his favor in that department. Then there is also the chance that we want to look at the QB position in next year's draft too...

But, I'm also OK with drafting a 2nd QB this year if the value in the 4th or later is just too good to pass up. Late in the draft every pick is an even bigger gamble, so if a QB happens to be BPA and has most of what Turner is looking for AND coachable negatives, then I think we'd be foolish to pass them up in favor of keeping Ponder and gambling on a guy with more flaws at some other position. Unless, of course, Turner feels that Ponder does have a good chance to improve under his tutelage and in his system...? My gut feeling is Ponder just doesn't seem to have the confidence/leadership qualities needed to improve those around him, and is most likely a career backup at best.

That article is a pretty good read, but stats are only stats, and while he does make some good points, as he also says, there's no such thing as a sure thing in the draft and especially this draft. It just might be another year like last, where very few of the high rated QBs go early, and most teams lean toward a more immediate difference maker early...dropping QB prospects down the board. Maybe, a guy like Bridgewater can be had late first or early 2nd!?

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to hope he looked bad on purpose at his proday so he wouldn't go to a continually rebuilding team like CLE or OAK or even JAX (tho I think Bradley seems to be doing good work there)...and instead lands with a team like MN where he'd at least have an AD to carry the load, a decent OL, and some nice weapons already in place like the Jennings, Patterson and Rudolf combo platter!?

I like Mettenberger as a good fit in Turner's offense too. He's got "NFL" size and a strong arm, and has shown improvement every year. Hopefully he's learned from his off field incident(s?), and the ACL issue may make him available in the late 2nd to early 3rd or even later range...
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast