Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Finding the Fits: Vikings' Patterson the perfect Purple Playmaker

Finding the Fits: Vikings' Patterson the perfect Purple Playmaker - CBSSports

During the next several weeks, NFLDraftScout.com will review the more intriguing picks made during the 2013 NFL Draft in a series called Finding the Fits. The goal of the series is to identify one relatively unheralded player per team who appears to be a good schematic fit and, therefore, more likely to be a surprise contributor early in his pro career.
    Minnesota Vikings' best fit: WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee, first round, No. 29 overall

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    While raw, Vikings rookie receiver Patterson has plenty of potential

While raw, Vikings rookie receiver Patterson has plenty of potential | INFORUM | Fargo, ND

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    For someone who was projected to go top 15 by some, I sure see the word "raw" tossed out a lot regarding Patterson.

That's something I haven't heard regarding a WR taken in the first round before. Especially one projected to go early.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    He seems to be a middle ground between Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas? He just has so little experience at a high level that there's no choice but to ease him into things. Neither one of these two are superb route runners. They have with experience found a way to use their athleticism to make contested catches down the field and turn short patterns into big gains.

I like the balance of our WR corps much more going into this season.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
    He seems to be a middle ground between Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas? He just has so little experience at a high level that there's no choice but to ease him into things. Neither one of these two are superb route runners. They have with experience found a way to use their athleticism to make contested catches down the field and turn short patterns into big gains
    What middle ground? Dez and Demaryius are near mirror reflections of each other.
    I can see how you can draw some similarities, but truth to be told; there really isn't anyone like Patterson in the league. He's unique. That's why he was given a first round grade by most people despite his lack of experience.

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    What middle ground? Dez and Demaryius are near mirror reflections of each other.
    I can see how you can draw some similarities, but truth to be told; there really isn't anyone like Patterson in the league. He's unique. That's why he was given a first round grade by most people despite his lack of experience.
    What is unique about him?

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    What is unique about him?
    I take it that you haven't really watched much tape on him.

The unique part about Patterson is basically his running abilities from a physical standpoint. He has the razor sharp cutting abilities like Barry Sanders in a big wide receiver body. Aside from that, there's just something about the way he plays that I can't say I have really seen before.

Combine that with spectacular runner vision, speed, overall athleticism and underrated potential receiver skills... and the Vikes have a possible once-in-a-decade type of player on their hands.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    For someone who was projected to go top 15 by some, I sure see the word "raw" tossed out a lot regarding Patterson.

That's something I haven't heard regarding a WR taken in the first round before. Especially one projected to go early.

That is because he was a junior college player, minimal time in the major college offense. Also, it is a word for those afraid to say her will be good or great. Then you can say, he was raw and didn't quite have it to make it big time.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Actually, I think they said the same thing about Demaryus Thomas. In fact I think some knocked Julio for being a bit 'raw' at route running too. It's his combination of speed, size, and power that is what makes him a 1st round talent...and the fact he does have experience doing all the same things that Harvin did: receiving, rushing, and returning, but with another 3" and 30 lbs, that makes him such a great fit for us.

But more importantly, there is the attitude. Percy always had to have it his way, skipping practices, throwing tantrums (or weights!?) but this kid sounds dedicated, and ready and willing to do the work to be the best he can be. Loved these quotes, it shows that he knows the Vikes have invested heavily in him, and that he wants to prove them right, and the other teams wrong...and having some hard working vets like Jennings and Peterson setting the example doesn't hurt a bit!

“That showed how much they believe in me to take a risk for a player like me because a lot of teams didn’t believe in me,” he said. “You see that when they passed up on me but the Vikings believe in me, and they did what they had to do to come and get me.”

“My biggest challenge will be that I will have to come in and work hard every day,” Patterson said. “The first thing I will have to do is get into that playbook and start learning the different coverages and hook up with the quarterback and a couple of receivers and get ready to work.”
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I like Patterson a lot. The one thing that scares me a little bit is his habit of running backwards when he is trying to make a big play. In college that was often rewarded because players' discipline broke down, and the extra couple of seconds he bought with a cut back would open up a lane. That isn't going to fly in the NFL. Defenders are going to maintain their discipline a lot better, and cutting back 5 yards is going to result in a loss of 5 yards.

Eli Manning used to have a similar bad habit - in college he would scramble backwards buying time for a receiver to get open. He did it in the NFL for several years, often resulting in double digit yard sacks.

Patterson definitely has the moves, he just needs to refine them a bit to work with at this level.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast