Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Finally the answer on Koren ....

herrerra still out sick? This is bad, bad, bad. we have one backup for the entire line now: Goldberg. Fowler is apparently only playing center and is second fiddle at that. If anyone goes down....or if the guards and tackles aren't in top condition, our offense is going to stall and may do so late in the game.

I am starting to get a bad feeling here. too many assumptions are in place and it seems that the contingency plan is that we dont have one.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "RK" wrote:
    Its amazing how things have changed from the statements Tice was making during FA and the draft about how we were going to become a smash mouth running team. :roll: That's one of the problems I have with him as a coach. He doesn't make a decision and then stick with it. That's why our game planning is so weak IMO.
    Making a decision in the spring and sticking to it no matter the circumstances is an excellent way to lead yourself to a BAD gameplan. Look at the Randy Ratio. The key to gameplanning is to work with what you have.

Our O-line is weaker without Birk, all our running backs are coming off minor injuries, and our passing game has been awesome.

Give me one good reason why we should run a smash mouth running gameplan.

Do what works.
    All I am saying is when Smith got busted there was still some time to look at the RB position. Also its been known for a while that Birk would have to address his injury, that decision could have been made earlier IMO. I think we are going to be OK if MM can step up. I don't have a lot of confidence in Bennett to stay healthy for any length of time. I think that Tice's loyalty to Bennett has left us in the RB by committee situation. We seem to be a lets see how we feel this week kind of team. I see us in a situation that teams find themselves in in the middle of the season making adjustments because of the loss of players. I think the problem is that Tice wants to be liked by everyone so he won't make up his mind and name someone as the #1 back. Maybe it will all work itself out tomorrow. I hope so. Teams seem to struggle if players feel they are still trying out for positions as if it were pre-season. :???:

WWBGD

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

I don't mind him using all the running backs at different times & depending on the offensive calls. Let's see who performs best & stay with him. Mewelde is my first pick, Moe will always be a candidate on 3rd & short or goal line, Fason I like a lot. He hits the line hard & fast, but he can't pass block worth a darn. Bennett is our speedster. I like him over the middle, on screen dumps & end arounds. Each of them excel in some part of the run game. Use them in situations that they do best. Keep them fresh & not tired out. You can't have a run game if you don't get 1st downs.
    In baseball if the pitcher is having a bad game they replace him with someone who can get the job done. Obviously baseball & football are 2 different sports, but shouldn't the same philosophy be used.
    A lot of people will say they need so many carries a game before a RB gets a rythym going. That may be true in most run oriented offense, but we are a passing offense & that's what were good at, so why change it?
    Besides, even if we stuck to just 1 back, how much of a rythym can he actually get into when were gonna be passing most of the time?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

"Give me one good reason why we should run a smash mouth running gameplan"

It helps manage the tempo of the game.

It controls clock.

It abuses the defense.

It gives the offensive line the opportunity to attack instead of defend.

It helps your defense by practicing against a good running game.

It brings and extra man in the box.

It sets up PA pass that will help our offense as a whole.

It would eliminate awkward situations in field position and clock management when we are ahead.

It forces your team to play more physically.

Passing the ball is one thing, running it on someone is another. There is something that eats at your soul as a competitor if you know they are going to run it, and you can't stop it. It is empowering for the offense.

It will save Pepper from being sacked as much as he is and pressured and hit as much as he is. The guy is sacked all time.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"singersp" wrote:
    I don't mind him using all the running backs at different times & depending on the offensive calls. Let's see who performs best & stay with him. Mewelde is my first pick, Moe will always be a candidate on 3rd & short or goal line, Fason I like a lot. He hits the line hard & fast, but he can't pass block worth a darn. Bennett is our speedster. I like him over the middle, on screen dumps & end arounds. Each of them excel in some part of the run game. Use them in situations that they do best. Keep them fresh & not tired out. You can't have a run game if you don't get 1st downs.
    Thats the problem with running game by committee singersp. You start using your running backs for what they are best at and every one knows exactly what you are going to do when you send one in. In the end your running game is non existant and easily defended. We need a #1 back that can do all or most of those things. I think the only guy we have that fits that description is MM.

WWBGD

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

I don't mean to use them over & over again on the same plays to the point of monotony & predictability. Let 'em think were gonna run then pass, let 'em think were gonna pass, then run. Let'em think were gonna run a certain play & then run a completely different run. We need to keep the defense thinking & in order to accomplish it correctly, Looney would have do it it smartely. Think he's there yet?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12