Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    echizen20 is offline Rookie

Final Predictions: Vikings Vs Steelers

The game is just a little bit over 20 hours away now and I'm very excited to see this game.
    A lot of people are predicting the Steelers to win at home.
    I kind of fail to understand why the steelers seem to be the favorite in this game.
    Although I don't doubt that they can come away with the victory here, I just don't see that happening unless we play an awful game on both sides of the field.
    Most of the experts are saying that the Steelers will win because their passing game will shred our defense and that our offense will finally be stopped by their tough D.
    I just simply disagree with that for a couple of reasons.
    First of all, I think stats are overrated and does not imply how good or bad a team is.
    The steelers have the 2nd best pass offense in terms of passing yards.
    But i went and looked at all their opponents defenses and none of them are ranked equal or higher than 10th in pass defense.

NFL pass defense rankings
    Ten-32 (W 13-10)
    Chi-14 (L 14-17)
    Cin-28 (L 20-23)
    SD-13 (W 38-28)
    Det-21 (W 28-20)
    Cle-23 (W 27-14)

Only two of those teams are ranked higher than 20th in pass defense.
    Tennesee is currently ranked dead last in pass defense and they barely won that game.
    The bengals are ranked 28th and they lost to them.
    In terms of sacks, the bengals were the best team they played against with 16 sacks.
    We are ranked 24th in pass defense and tied for 2nd in sacks I believe (21 sacks)
    So i mean if we are going by stats here, were better than the bengals in pass defense AND getting sacks.
    And guess what, the bengals beat the Steelers.

So ok if the Steelers are going to beat us, then that means they going to have to do it on defense right?
    Lets look at the stats.
    They are ranked 2nd in rush Defense and 12th in pass.
    27, 14, 18, 22, 32, 6.
    Those numbers are all the ranked rush offenses that they have faced.
    You see that number 6?
    The 6th best rush offense in the NFL belong to the defeated tennesee titans.
    So i'm going to exclude them out.
    Looking at the other 5 teams, the best rush offense they have played against is oh what do you know the bengals ranked at 14.
    And what are we ranked?
    Nb 9 respectively.
    So the bengals are worse than us in rush offense and pass defense and getting sacks.
    But they beat the Steelers.
    If were going by Stats and rankings.
    We are the obvious favorites here.
    But im not going to base my prediction outcome of the game on that.

I believe the team that has played better to this point will win.
    And the Vikings have played and showed more than what they were expected.
    Ironically the opposite can be said about the defending superbowl champs.
    They almost lost to the 0-6 titans at home and looked average against the lions, the teams that they have beaten have a combined record of 4-19.
    The teams that they have lost to (bears and bengals) are not better than us.
    On our side, since the start of the season, we have done nothing but improve on the offense.
    We are ranked nb2 in points scored which if you're gonna look at stats that would be one to look at.
    Our offense is playing very effective and scoring points and not turning the ball over that much at all.

Our Defense is playing good overall, i think our rush defense, getting to the quarterback, forcing turnovers, and good redzone defense offsets whatever issues we have in our secondary (although i know that we must improve here if we want to beat teams in the playoffs like the saints or falcons or giants)

Our defense is bend but not break and we have played that part very nicely until the 4th quarter of last weeks game when it felt like we were just playing broken all the way.
    But i have to point out that those drives and TDs were due to a few big plays and missed tackles rather than picking us apart completely like how the media is making it seem and how they are saying that Ben will do the same thing to us.
    All we have to do is stop the big plays and tackle our guys.
    I dont care if we give them those easy 5-10 yards if it means for us to hold them to FGs and step it up during redzone time.
    Our defense should have learned its lesson last week now and correct those mistakes.
    On the other side, yeah they have a good defense i will admit.
    But our offense is awesome too.

Giants was rank nb 1 defense overall and look what the Saints did to them.
    Look at what we did to the Ravens who IMO is the better defense than steelers.
    Yeah they have Troy back and i agree that he is an impact player but so is Ed Reed.
    You know what people say about Ed Reed?
    They say that 2/3 of the world is covered by water.
    And the other 1/3 is covered by Ed Reed.
    And umm I think he was completely invisible last week.
    My point is, Troy is not 100% healthy and he will not be much of a factor if Favre keeps his level of play.
    We're playing at Heinz Field and that advantage goes to the Steelers...but its on grass...and AD runs his best on grass...and favre has played outdoor for 16 seasons...so I guess its not really much of an advantage
    Anyways!!!
    My final Prediction.

Minisoda Vikings $31 (tax not included)
    Pitsburger Stealers $24(w/tax)

JeffSeimon is offline Starter

Re: Final Predictions: Vikings Vs Steelers

Vikings 27 Steelers 21

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

Win or Lose im proud of this team

Vikes 34
    Steelers 20

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I haven't put as much thought into this as you have, but I was thinking about the fact that most of the TalkingHeads on the NFL shows are picking Pitt to win.

1. This game is in Pitt.
    2. Ben's passing and his WRs have been doing a great job putting up numbers.
    3. The O line of Pitt that was thought to be having problems early on seems to be getting better.
    4. Troy is back
    5. Pitts rush defense will neutralize AD who hasn't really dominated this year in yardage.

There are probably a few more.

They say all this assuming our D is vulnerable.
    Also because our D is not ranked as high it is their O that will be able to take advantage of us.
    I have heard the TalkingHeads say that William Bros are done and they can't perform.
    Our safeties are bad.
    Winfield is out.
    You can go on and on but in a close game like this, with so many Steeler fans, why not pick the Steelers at home.

They talk about Pat W being done, well, he gets subbed quite a bit.
    Kennedy, Robison, Mitchell have all had some time in there.
    IMHO, not done.

I could go into debating those 6 points above, but when it is all said and done, it will come down to mistakes made in this game.
    Who is going to make them?
    When they are made, a team has to take advantage of them.

Vikings 30-27
    OT

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator

I believe Minnesota will win this one.
    Look at who the Steelers beat.... Titans, Chargers, Lions, and Browns.
    And they lost to.... Bears and Bengals.

Vikings: 31
    Steelers: 28

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Some may think this is going to be a defensive game, but they would be wrong.
    This is going to be a high scoring game as I don't see the Vikes secondary stopping Ben and friends.

On the other side, I don't think the Steelers will be effective at stopping the two headed attack of the Vikes offense.
    Steelers run D may rank #2, but that's because the best rushing teams they've faced are SD and Cincy and they had to abandon the run early because Pit got a early lead.

Thus, IMO it will be a scorefest
    Vikes 38 (5TD 1FG)
    Steelers 37 (4TD 3FG)
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

"gagarr" wrote:
    Some may think this is going to be a defensive game, but they would be wrong.
    This is going to be a high scoring game as I don't see the Vikes secondary stopping Ben and friends.

On the other side, I don't think the Steelers will be effective at stopping the two headed attack of the Vikes offense.
    Steelers run D may rank #2, but that's because the best rushing teams they've faced are SD and Cincy and they had to abandon the run early because Pit got a early lead.

Thus, IMO it will be a scorefest
    Vikes 38 (5TD 1FG)
    Steelers 37 (4TD 3FG)
    Good point about SD and Cincy.

This is one of those game I wish was 14-13 and a defensive battle, or even 12-9.
    LOL!
    With the offense we have, I just want he ball at the end of the game, the last possession.

echizen20 is offline Rookie

"snowinapril" wrote:

I haven't put as much thought into this as you have, but I was thinking about the fact that most of the TalkingHeads on the NFL shows are picking Pitt to win.

1. This game is in Pitt.
    2. Ben's passing and his WRs have been doing a great job putting up numbers.
    3. The O line of Pitt that was thought to be having problems early on seems to be getting better.
    4. Troy is back
    5. Pitts rush defense will neutralize AD who hasn't really dominated this year in yardage.

There are probably a few more.

They say all this assuming our D is vulnerable.
    Also because our D is not ranked as high it is their O that will be able to take advantage of us.
    I have heard the TalkingHeads say that William Bros are done and they can't perform.
    Our safeties are bad.
    Winfield is out.
    You can go on and on but in a close game like this, with so many Steeler fans, why not pick the Steelers at home.

They talk about Pat W being done, well, he gets subbed quite a bit.
    Kennedy, Robison, Mitchell have all had some time in there.
    IMHO, not done.

I could go into debating those 6 points above, but when it is all said and done, it will come down to mistakes made in this game.
    Who is going to make them?
    When they are made, a team has to take advantage of them.

I do agree with you that making mistakes and who capitalizes it in this game can determine the outcome of who wins or loses.
    But then again you can say that about any game in the NFL.
    But if you compare the vikings and steelers, the vikings make less mistakes as far as turnovers but the steelers seem to be playing the more consistent defense.
    I think going into this game, that will stay as it is and if anyone is going to make mistakes i am betting it on the Steelers to lose the game unless the vikings have another serious defensive meltdown.
    About the points made earlier from above

Game being in Pitts.
    Homefield advantage is overrated.
    The only advantage i see is the home players getting a few extra boosts from the fans and players playing for home pride.
    All of that can be silenced and nulled by scoring points on them which i know we will do.
    Plus their place doesnt get super loud like the metrodome so noise might not be much of a factor.

Ben and his WR are putting up big numbers.
    Yes, against teams with losing records (except bears and bengals) and against average to below average to terrible secondaries.

Their O line seems to be getting better.
    Yes, again, against average pass rushing teams, slightly excluding the bengals and bears whom < us in pass rush.

Troy is back.
    But he's not 100%
    Even if he is, one player alone does not win a game, can make a difference but not win a game.
    Ed reed who is another excellent safety disappeared last week.
    Favre + Ap vs a not 100% Troy.
    Ill take the vikings.

The only way they will neutrelize AP is if they stack the box and play superior run defense.
    Teams have done that quite well gameplanning against AP.
    Him not getting incredible fantasy yards is not because of his ability but because of teams playing great stopping him.
    Ravens have an incredible rush D and they did well stopping him.
    But ya gotta do that everytime he touches the ball because he had 2 big runs against them. But oh yeah, nb 4 is back there and is playing exceptionally well because teams must stop AP first.

soonerbornNbred is offline Pro-Bowler

So if this game was week 4, I'm sure most of us would be more confident. I mean heck, Monday morning after week 3 we are coming off a exciting win over SF, while Pitt is coming off their second lost in a row....first to Chicago week 2 which I'm thinking that we all believe we can handle Da Bears right? then they lose to the bungles....yea I think if this was week 4 we would be pumping our chest and sayin bring on the steelers...but reality is what it is....what is strange is Viking fans aren't usually realistic.... as in the Great words of one Jared Allen "please Brett, just be Brett"...roll on Purple roll on

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast