Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Surtain is offline Waterboy

Fin Fan here....

I was on our board and I came across a "trade idea" made by one of the more respected posters on our forum.

I thought I would bounce it off you guys and get your thoughts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the Moss deal is official, reports from CBS Sportsline have the Vikings GM making a call to the Dolphins about Surtain. It is no wonder to me, since now the Vikings have two first round picks in their possession.

Personally, though, I think the Dolphins and one-time Dolphin personnel exec Rob Brzezinski have a LOT to talk about, not just Surtain and their #18 pick or 2nd rounder. Among the topics of discussion: the #2 overall selection, the #7 overall selection, the #18 overall selection, michael bennett, patrick surtain, and possibly our 3rd round pick and some other lower round picks of both the dolphins and vikings.

Minnesota is a team that wants to make their run RIGHT NOW, especially with Reggie Fowler coming on as owner, and he will likely want to make a splash to impress the Vikings fans and make them forget about Randy Moss. Will either Braylon Edwards or Mike Williams be available to the Vikings at #7? Who knows, supposedly the Bucs have told Mike Williams that he will be their selection at #5. Braylon we know could go #1 overall, and if not, definitely gone by #4 where Chicago picks. If the Vikings do not get Plaxico Burress, all the sudden they have a Moss-less WR corp and probably need one of the top 5 picks in the draft to assure themselves of Edwards or Williams.

I'm thinking a blockbuster deal that could involve giving the #2, Surtain, and our third round pick for their #7 and #18, and Michael Bennett.

IMO, that would give us a runner with world class speed, experience in Linehan's offense, and injury issues that could be assuaged by the presence of Lamar Gordon and Sammy Morris. Drafting at the #7 spot also puts us in prime position to get LT Alex Barron, and drafting at #18 would put us in good position to get a TALENTED player, whether that be someone like Marcus Spears, Travis Johnson, David Pollack, or perhaps Carlos Rogers (who ran a blazing 40 at the combine) to replace Surtain.

Coupled with a free agency that could include guys like Kenoy Kennedy and Kevin Carter if we're lucky, but most definitely other cogs in the Saban defense if we're not so lucky, I believe these moves would give us very little excuse for losing in 2005 and beyond.

My only concern would be that we would have placed the future of the offense in AJ Feeley's hands, and he has not proven his hands are worthy of that.

Key points:

1. Saban's own words. He said that the offensive line does not need an overhaul. In fact, he said that they really only need ONE player. The Dolphins so far, do not look like they've gone after that "one player" in free agency. Mike Wahle and Jonas Jennings certainly could have been considered that "one player" but it does not appear we even sniffed at either of them. We'll see what continues to happen in FA, but perhaps Alex Barron is that "one player" (he's a favorite of mine, so I'm biased).

2. Again, Saban's own words. He spoke of drafting a "passrusher" or "shut-down corner" With the 40 that Carlos Rogers belted out, all the sudden he gets put in candidacy to be considered a "shut-down corner" and we all know that Saban is likely partial to his own DE Marcus Spears who could definitely play 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE. But, on Sirius radio's "afternoon blitz" they did an interview with David Pollack, and he revealed that there were a "number" of teams that interviewed him and asked him a LOOOT of questions about becoming a OLB in the 3-4. When the host asked him the question Pollack kind of revealed it as somewhat of a secret too.

3. I know there are concerns with Michael Bennett's injury problems. But, when healthy, this guy was an awesome runner in Linehan's wide open offense. I can definitely think of guys that have missed more than 16 games over the course of 4 years. On top of it, with the speed that Gordon has, he's somewhat of a Bennett clone, and could probably fill in very nicely for Bennett when Mike misses his predictable 3 or 4 games a year. Sammy Morris (or Ron Dayne?) could also couple with Bennett to give us goal line options as well as a speedy open runner. When healthy, Bennett is faster than any back in this year's draft, bar none.

4. The market for corners is going nuts right now. Gary Baxter turned DOWN a $10 million signing bonus from the Ravens. Anthony Henry got a $12 million signing bonus from the Cowboys, and the Patriots just traded a 3rd round pick for the inconsistent CB Duane Starks. Samari Rolle, Ty Law, Fred Smoot, and Ken Lucas are all still out there, but, seriously, how much are THEY going to want??? Pat Surtain, because of his trade situation, is operating under more constraints and will probably end up getting a $15 million signing bonus, if that. Is he that much better than Anthony Henry, Gary Baxter, and Ken Lucas? Yes. Will he get as much money, with his trade situation, as Samari Rolle or Fred Smoot? No. Trading for Surtain LOOKS attractive.

5. This is not a one-way street. Minnesota has to think this makes sense too. But Reggie Fowler really needs to get the fans on board with the new look, because one thing Randy unarguably was able to do was CONSISTENTLY put butts in those seats on game day. Right now Tice is looking at having the #7 pick, which may not be high enough to get Braylon Edwards, Mike Williams, OR Adam "Pac-Man" Jones. It's good enough to get a runner but they've got 3 of them already. It would be good enough to get Troy Williamson, but is he worth it at #7? They got Napolean Harris, they got Pat Williams, and now it's time to get the secondary up to par too. They have #7 and #18, could use those picks on a passrusher like Dan Cody or Erasmus James and a CB like Rogers or Rolle, or they could trade that #7 for the pick that would virtually ASSURE them of getting Braylon Edwards, and if not then Mike Williams, give up the #18 for a "shut-down CB" in Pat Surtain, and empty out one of the three overqualified runners in their backfield, and pick up a 3rd round pick at the same time. It makes sense to me if I were them. And it makes sense to us, too, IMO.

Â*

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Fin Fan here....

wow that was a long post.. it was ur first also.. welcome to the board!! we've been hearing rumors about surtain for bennett and our 2nd round pick.. i really would love to do that trade.. how do u like that trade? if surtain came to the vikes would ya watch more vikes?

Surtain is offline Waterboy

Fin Fan here....

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    wow that was a long post.. it was ur first also.. welcome to the board!! we've been hearing rumors about surtain for bennett and our 2nd round pick.. i really would love to do that trade.. how do u like that trade? if surtain came to the vikes would ya watch more vikes?

I would do Bennett and a Second for Surtain.We really cant afford to keep Surtain, and it will be a sad day when he goes.

2004 was our first losing season in 15 years. However our pass defense was still ranked #1 in the league, and Surtain is a huge reason why.

Surtain is the best corner in the game,IMO. I mean, I cant really say that there is anyone better. This guy or that guy might be of "similar caliber" but not better.

Kleinsasser40 is offline Coordinator

Fin Fan here....

"coreychavous21" wrote:
    dolphins suck
    These are the people you need to ignore. Sorry about this comment Surtain...
    [img:2264cdc124]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/vikesklein.jpg[/img:2264cdc124]

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Fin Fan here....

"Kleinsasser40" wrote:
    "coreychavous21" wrote:
    dolphins suck
    These are the people you need to ignore. Sorry about this comment Surtain...
    I agree. don't get a bad impression of vikes fans from one person. Welcome to the board.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Fin Fan here....

Good post.

I would do the deal: involve giving the #2, Surtain, and our third round pick for their #7 and #18, and Michael Bennett.

That would fill needs for both our teams without really hurting our draft.

BTW, ignore the comment above.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Fin Fan here....

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Good post.

I would do the deal: involve giving the #2, Surtain, and our third round pick for their #7 and #18, and Michael Bennett.

That would fill needs for both our teams without really hurting our draft.

BTW, ignore the comment above.
    Which comment????

English Vike is offline Starter

Fin Fan here....

im sure the "dolphins suck" one and not yours! far be it from me to speak for another.

trade looks very interesting to me, id have a serious think about that at the very least, thanks for sharing it

KY Vike is offline Starter

Fin Fan here....

dolphins do not suck...i can see them having a run at a wild card next year if they work up their offense because their defense is pretty good right now.
    2 Most Favorite Things:
    1) Minnesota Vikings
    2) Kentucky Basketball. Yeah Baby!

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

Fin Fan here....

"coreychavous21" wrote:
    dolphins suck
    So does North Dakota. What's your point?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast