singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Fight still on for No. 2 QB

Posted on Fri, Aug. 11, 2006

[size=18px]Fight still on for No. 2 QB[/size]
    McMahon leads, but Jackson has a chance

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

MANKATO, Minn. — Vikings coach Brad Childress came to the defense of backup quarterback Mike McMahon on Thursday but wouldn't rule out the possibility of rookie Tarvaris Jackson winning the No. 2 job.

"It just depends on how hard he pushes, how much can he do," Childress said. "I imagine there'll be one of these preseason games, we sit a quarterback and let another one play so that more can play. I think that's a good way … to watch a guy play for an extended period of time."

Jackson, a second-round draft choice from Division I-AA Alabama State, was expected to spend this season as the Vikings' No. 3 quarterback, with McMahon serving as primary backup to starter Brad Johnson.

That's where things stand heading into Monday night's exhibition opener against Oakland, but Jackson worked with the second team during Thursday's morning practice, and Childress gave the rookie a positive rating for his training camp.

"I would say above average," Childress said. "I was asked the other day about the volume, and that's the thing he's probably done the best with. A lot of times when you're thinking, it doesn't let your God-given athletic skills come out. I haven't seen that. I haven't seen him slow down in what he can do physically because he's strapped with what we're asking him to do mentally."

Childress won't announce until Sunday how he plans to use his players in the exhibition opener, and Jackson said he hasn't been told anything about playing time in that game or any other.

Asked if he thought the No. 2 role is a realistic possibility for this season, he said: "It would depend on what the coaches want. If they feel I'm worthy of the second spot, that's fine. I'm just trying to learn as much possible and to be ready when my chance comes. If I'm the second guy, I'll be very excited."

Childress, who was the offensive coordinator in Philadelphia last season when McMahon went 2-5 as a starter after replacing an injured Donovan McNabb, disagreed with the perception that the Vikings are living dangerously with McMahon as the No. 2 guy.

Childress also pointed out that it can be tough to judge a second- or third-team quarterback based on practices and exhibition games in which he plays with second- and third-team personnel.

"Some things usually end up cleaning up in terms of being able to move the football team," Childress said of his eventual decision. "That's what it'll always be about — being able to move the football team and get them into the end zone, no matter who you're playing with."

False alarm: Backup center Jason Whittle left the morning practice early because of a rapid heart rate, but his agent, Joe Linta, said the eighth-year pro is fine and not expected to miss any more practice time.

Whittle told Linta he had the same experience twice before during his time with the New York Giants, but Vikings trainers weren't taking any chances.

"Obviously, that's not something you fool around with," Childress said, "so they got him inside and got him settled down."

Lefty/righty: Artis Hicks, on the biggest adjustment of moving to right guard after playing left guard and tackle for four seasons in Philadelphia: "Just trying to do everything when it feels like I'm doing it backwards. On the left side, you're mostly stepping with your left foot first and using your left hand. On the right side, it's reversed. My mind is telling me my feet are backwards when really they're the way they're supposed to be on that side."

Briefly: Tickets are on sale for the Vikings' annual kickoff gala, to be held Sept. 5 at The Depot in downtown Minneapolis. Admission is $100 a person, and tickets are available through the team ticket office at 612-33-VIKES.

• Childress said defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin will be on the sideline Monday night.

• Childress, on the fleeting nature of roster depth: "You can say you have depth, and about two seconds later, you're short of guys."

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

Fight still on for No. 2 QB

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Fight still on for No. 2 QB

He doesn't even mention JT O'Sullivan being in the fight for the 2nd QB spot. :lol:

[size=18px]Vikings tiptoe on a quarterback tightrope[/size]

By JIM SOUHAN

This week as the headlines informed us that Daunte Culpepper might play in the Miami Dolphins' first exhibition game, Tarvaris Jackson looked like the Minnesota Vikings' second-best quarterback during a morning practice.

How are these events connected? By the machinations of Big Bad Brad Childress.

The Vikings' mysterious, mute and amorphous brain trust decided to enter the 2006 season with a 37-year-old quarterback as their starter. Brad Johnson plays the most important and difficult position on the team, and he's smart and accurate enough to fare well in Childress' (Mid)West Coast Offense.

If he gets hurt, though _ and most NFL quarterbacks, regardless of age, get hurt, unless they avoid injury by throwing 29 interceptions and running away from contact, not that we're thinking of anyone in particular _ the Vikings will have to turn to the second-most important position on their roster.

That's backup quarterback, and the same people who saw organizational genius in Fran Foley forgot to purchase one of those this offseason.

Childress most likely will try to force the position on Mike McMahon, who has a career completion percentage of 44.5, a career passer rating of 55.1, 15 touchdown passes and 21 interceptions. If that isn't scary enough, he also wore yellow rubber clogs to lunch this week.

Their other immediate options at backup quarterback are the prized rookie Jackson (great arm) and the anonymous J.T. O'Sullivan (great hair).

Jackson is raw but composed, and throws a pretty pass. Star Tribune decency policies prevent us from describing the practice efforts of McMahon and O'Sullivan.

Childress prides himself on being an offensive guru and an experienced coach. He should know that his legacy likely will be determined by the symbiotic relationship most successful coaches share with their quarterbacks.

Vince Lombardi, Bart Starr. Tom Landry, Roger Staubach. Chuck Noll, Terry Bradshaw. Don Shula, Bob Griese. Bud Grant, Fran Tarkenton. Bill Belichick, Tom Brady. Bill Walsh, Joe Montana.

Yet Childress has proceeded thusly in handling his most important position:

_ He traded Culpepper for a second-round draft choice that turned into project offensive lineman Ryan Cook. This move might have looked bright if Culpepper's knee injury had sidelined him for the 2006 season. Instead, he could start the season opener.

_ Childress elevated Johnson to starter but he _ or whoever makes these decisions in the Vikings front office these days _ refused to give him a raise over the $1.2 million he was making to be Culpepper's backup.

The Vikings probably spent more remodeling their training facility than on their most important player.

_ Childress _ or whoever makes these decisions for the Vikings these days _ chose Jackson with a second-round draft pick. If he's their future quarterback, that's a bargain price. If they expect him to help them this year, they're in trouble.

_ Childress brought in McMahon despite having watched him play in Philly last year.

McMahon is the kind of wild-eyed scrambler who might be effective coming into a game as a sub, but he's not going to win consistently against defenses that can game-plan for him, and set up intricate blocking schemes for their interception returns.

The Vikings are trying to catch the Bears, who have Brian Griese as a backup. Of all the veteran quarterbacks in the NFC North, Griese easily has the highest career completion percentage, 63.1. That's about 20 percent higher than McMahon's.

So far what we know about Childress is that he likes full-contact practices, believes in organizational secrecy, prefers worker bees over big-name players, and emphasizes line play.

Oh, and this: He _ or whoever is making these decisions these days _ has left himself one Brad Johnson bone break away from a Les Steckel season.

Published: Friday, 11 August 2006
    Distributed by Scripps Howard News Service

Vikings tiptoe on a quarterback tightrope

T-Jack must be having a great camp to be considered in the same running as McMahon.

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

You got to love the line. Most quarterbacks get hurt unless they avoid injury by throwing 29 ints, not that were tinking of anyone in particular :twisted:
    I.B.O.T. #213

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Does this paragraph make any sense to you? It sure doesn't to me!
    McMahon is the kind of wild-eyed scrambler who might be effective coming into a game as a sub, but he's not going to win consistently against defenses that can game-plan for him, and set up intricate blocking schemes for their interception returns.
    How can you you say he can be good as a sub but not as long term because teams can game plan for him? Don't team game plan defenses against ANY QB. And how dies setting up intricate blocking schemes for interceptions have any thing at all to do with a QB's ability? That sentence sounds good but I think it's total BS.
    By the way, I got a game plan against Culpepper. Blitz! Blitz! Blitz! Make him rush his throws and see if he can catch Favre's record. :lol:
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Nice to see T-Jack learning the system so fast.. He is going to be one hell of a QB in the very near future.. This guy has alot of talent, he can run, throw, and make good reads.. I see this guy being the total package in the NFL..

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Does this paragraph make any sense to you? It sure doesn't to me!
    How can you you say he can be good as a sub but not as long term because teams can game plan for him? Don't team game plan defenses against ANY QB. And how dies setting up intricate blocking schemes for interceptions have any thing at all to do with a QB's ability? That sentence sounds good but I think it's total BS.
    By the way, I got a game plan against Culpepper. Blitz! Blitz! Blitz! Make him rush his throws and see if he can catch Favre's record. :lol:
    You can't be serious? You honestly don't think teams played different defensive schemes with Brad Johson as our QB vs. Culpepper? Differentt qbs have different skill sets, strengths and weaknesses. As adefensive coach, you try to contain/negate their strength (ex: scrambling, deep throws) and exploit their weaknesses (ex: poor decision making by blitzing).

I think the joke was that McMahon would throw so many INTs that teams could actually devote time to blocking schemes.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.