Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Re: Field Goal over a TD?

"midgensa" wrote:
    I cannot even believe this is a thread. You absolutely do not want to score a touchdown at any point there. You want the last play of the game to be a kick through the uprights. IT IS A TIE GAME AND A FIELD GOAL WINS IT AND KEEPS THE OTHER TEAM OFF THE FIELD!
    We had this same situation last season against the Lions and Moe scored and left over a minute on the d@mn clock instead of going down. The Lions came right down the field and scored (and of course botched the extra point) and should have gotten to overtime. If we had just kicked in that case it would not have been in doubt either.
    It was a 27-yard field goal down the middle of the field with no wind ... it is a no-brainer. If you run it that first play and he gets in ... boom the Pack has at least two timeouts and nearly a minute left, instead you WON the game without giving them the ball at all.
    Go for the touchdown? Are you kidding? As Herman Edwards said ... "You play to win the game" that is how you WIN in that situation
    I completely agree with you midgensa if you score with no time on the clock, game over no chance of a comeback. However to flip things around for a minute what if you are the team on defence? I have heard the argument that it might be better for the defence in that kind of situation to let the offence score a TD. Why? think about it you get the ball back with a chance to tie the score, after all how many times do you see a missed 20 yarder? Never seen anyone do it and dont think anyone ever would but it makes you think.

Del Rio Guest

Better yet imagine if we did kick it and we missed it went into overtime and lost. Or we fumbled the snap and they ran it back.

A large reason why this call sits so well with everyone is because it worked. Had he run the time down inside the redzone after two very great drives where we were taking what we wanted in the run game, and still managed to lose the game............

it would be ugly and you would be hearing about it.

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

i would not have wanted to give the ball back to the master of the two minute drill (i mean, he is, no arguing, not that i like him, just the facts)

so good call tice

8)
    i m better than you, so just give up...

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

It was the right call.

I almost lost my mind against the Giants when we threw that stupid pass on 3rd down instead of kicking the FG. What if it was a bad snap on 4th down, then we would've been screwed.

Del Rio Guest

While I don't have a problem with it I think the real issue people have is the go for the throat attitude.

Just as many things can go wrong with a field goal as a run it's really not an issue. I think people are upset because it would have made a statement. It wouldn't have been a we are medicore and anything we need to do to squeak by we will do. It would have been we are in your house we can take what we want and you can't stop us.

Again I don't see an issue with kicking the FG. I just think that people who are questioning it are probably coming from a more philosophical approach then a logical one. They aren't stupid for questioning the kick.

amth is offline Starter

i agreed 1000% with what they did

why give brett favre a chance to tie it up?

first good coaching move i have ever seen tice do
    it sucks being u, but its great being me

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"Jkurtkrauss" wrote:
    Was anyone other than me going nuts when Johnson took a knee in order to go for the kick rather than at least running 3 times for a TD? Moore was getting 8-10 yards a pop, and I thought it was a no brainer.

I think odds point to a lot less that can go wrong by running (fumble) rather than kicking (fumbled snap, high snap, blocked, miss).
    I think that Tice did exactly what was required to WIN. If we had run it and scored with alot of time it would have given GB a chance for a comeback.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Absolutely the right call. Favre got the ball back with about 1:09 to go in the first half, and it took him exactly three plays to go the length of the field and score a TD. The FG was basically like an extra point, Edinger hasn't missed a single one in his career. The odds of fumbling (on either the handoff or on a tackle) are probably more likely than the FG being blocked or the hold muffed.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

WE WON!!! And I will take the W any way we can get it...just like I will take 6 more Ws ANY way we can get them! Tice did what he thought was best and he was proven correct...just like Vermeil did a few weeks ago...Tice has the cojones to go with his gut...so he deserves props...let's hope that this is the start of a long string of good calls by him!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Better yet imagine if we did kick it and we missed it went into overtime and lost. Or we fumbled the snap and they ran it back.

A large reason why this call sits so well with everyone is because it worked. Had he run the time down inside the redzone after two very great drives where we were taking what we wanted in the run game, and still managed to lose the game............

it would be ugly and you would be hearing about it.
    Anything can happen on a kick, but why attempt to go for a td when all you need is 3? And when you can also leave no time for the other team to do anything. Even if the kick had failed, that still would be the right call IMO.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast