Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: A few Vikings casualties?

"aceclown" wrote:
    "CyVikeFan" wrote:
    Isn't Tank Williams going to be at the SS Position?
    I thought Tank signed a 1 year contract last year.
    That is what I was going to say also.
    That is my guess unless we upped it since.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    ...How long did we sign Tank for?
    It didn't seem like a long contract.
    I haven't seen any updates.
    He must be an FA.

KFFL
    Vikings | Contract update: T. Williams - from www.KFFL.com
    Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:09:23 -0800

Minnesota Vikings S Tank Williams signed a one-year contract with a base salary of $585,000 in 2006.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings | Contract update: T. Williams - from www.KFFL.com
    Fri, 24 Mar 2006 19:51:15 -0800

Jeff Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings S Tank Williams signed a one-year contract that has reachable incentives and will put the deal around $900,000.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings | T. Williams agrees to terms - from www.KFFL.com
    Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:48:58 -0800

Adam Caplan, of the Pro Football News and Injury Report, reports the Minnesota Vikings have agreed to terms with free agent S Tank Williams (Titans). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

"Prophet" wrote:
    "UndisputedVike" wrote:
    Interesting, Smith is a surprise but I don't think change could make us any worse so, maybe we'll move Sharper back over and maybe sign Michael Lewis at SS.
    yeah, anyone that has sex in a stairway appears to utilize his time efficiently.
    Will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next few months.
    Damn, I forgot all about that, must be why then.

VikingD24 is offline Rookie

Wiggy getting the hook isnt suprising. Childress couldnt have been pleased with his lack of production this season & I feel an entire Receiving Corps overhaul coming...TE's included. Running the West Coast doesnt seem to do Wiggins any justice & a big blocking TE like Big Klein is pretty much useless to the team.

Look for Wiggins and Klein to get cut & the Vikings to try and reel in Eric Johnson, who is Productive in the West Coast O when healthy.

Dwight Smith is old, he had some key tackles, but he is old. The guy was brought in by his boy Tomlin to be a stop-gap after Tank went down and the team didnt think Greg Blue was ready. I think Dwight already has one foot through the door.

Either way, depending on Tank's recovery & whether or not to resign him...I like the idea of Michael Lewis, Ken Hamlin, or even Gibril Wilson wearing purple in 07.

One thing that has bothered me about the Saftey position (and which I have concentrated on for weeks now) is why Childress sat Sharper the entire 2nd half of the Rams game in favor of Blue. Was it b/c the season was down the toilet & it was just to get a rookie some playing time? Or was it a sign of Sharper's worth to the team following a season where the Secondary couldnt cover a barn?

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Wiggins, Rosenthal, Smith possible cuts?
    Sunday, February 11th, 2007
    by Judd Zulgad

ESPN’s John Clayton named tight end Jermaine Wiggins, offensive lineman Mike Rosenthal and safety Dwight Smith as three players the Vikings might cut this offseason.

Seeing Wiggins and/or Rosenthal get released would not qualify as a major surprise. Although Wiggins seemed like a good fit for Brad Childress’ offense entering the season, Wiggins’ reception total went from 69 in 2005 to 46 this season. Rosenthal started the season playing behind Marcus Johnson at right tackle and ended it playing behind rookie Ryan Cook.

But the possibility of Smith getting released is an interesting one. Smith started this season at strong safety after being signed to a three-year, $6.5 million deal last summer just before training camp opened. He had 78 tackles and four interceptions in 15 games. The only game he missed was the reguar-season opener; Smith sat out as punishment for being cited for indecent conduct in downtown Minneapolis.

Smith also was benched for the first series of a November game against the Packers after being late to a team meeting. While those incidents didn’t help Smith, they certainly aren’t the only reasons he could be a candidate to end up elsewhere in 2007.

There actually would be a few factors at work here.

One thing to consider is that rookie Greg Blue likely will move into a starting role next season. Blue, in fact, started and played pretty well in the victory over Washington on opening night. At the end of the season, it appeared starting strong safety Darren Sharper could be shown the door. Sharper was upset when he was benched in the season-ending loss to St. Louis and questioned his future in Minnesota.

But Sharper later said he overreacted and wanted to return to the Vikings. In addition to Blue and Sharper, the Vikings also could bring back veteran safety Tank Williams at a very reasonable price. Williams was signed to a one-year contract but never played after fracturing his knee cap early in training camp.

So that could mean the Vikings will enter camp with Sharper and Blue at the top of the depth chart with Williams serving as the primary competition for Blue.

Perhaps the most important issue in discussing Smith’s future is the fact his biggest advocate is now coacing the Pittsburgh Steelers. Former Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin helped convince Smith to sign with the Vikings instead of Tampa Bay last July. Tomlin and Smith had become close when the two were employed by the Buccaneers. With Leslie Frazier now running the defensive show in Minnesota, Smith might get another chance to reunite with Tomlin.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Dwight Smith is kinda of shocker of sorts for me anyways.. If anything, he gives us solid veteran depth.. Wiggins is just not suited for this offense, he is better off going somewhere else and doing his thing there..

Also, we only signed Tank Williams for 1 year.. If Tank were to start for us next season, the Vikes would have to resign him.. With that said, after his knee injury, I think he would come rather cheap for us.. If his knee is good to go, they should bring him back and see what he has..

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

The thing about Dwight Smith is that he also plays CB...IF Smoot is let go/traded, we'll still need a good nickelback!!

I'd like to give Tank another chance to make the team...hopefully that knee is right this time!

I'd hate to see Kleiny or Wiggy go, but it sure seems like a possibility...especially if they want more speed at TE!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"VikingD24" wrote:
    Wiggy getting the hook isnt suprising. Childress couldnt have been pleased with his lack of production this season & I feel an entire Receiving Corps overhaul coming...TE's included. Running the West Coast doesnt seem to do Wiggins any justice & a big blocking TE like Big Klein is pretty much useless to the team.

Look for Wiggins and Klein to get cut & the Vikings to try and reel in Eric Johnson, who is Productive in the West Coast O when healthy.

Dwight Smith is old, he had some key tackles, but he is old. The guy was brought in by his boy Tomlin to be a stop-gap after Tank went down and the team didnt think Greg Blue was ready. I think Dwight already has one foot through the door.

Either way, depending on Tank's recovery & whether or not to resign him...I like the idea of Michael Lewis, Ken Hamlin, or even Gibril Wilson wearing purple in 07.

One thing that has bothered me about the Saftey position (and which I have concentrated on for weeks now) is why Childress sat Sharper the entire 2nd half of the Rams game in favor of Blue. Was it b/c the season was down the toilet & it was just to get a rookie some playing time? Or was it a sign of Sharper's worth to the team following a season where the Secondary couldnt cover a barn?
    This has been mentioned for a while and it was just to give Blue some more playing time. It was planned that way since before the game.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

VikingD24 is offline Rookie

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Dwight Smith is kinda of shocker of sorts for me anyways.. If anything, he gives us solid veteran depth.. Wiggins is just not suited for this offense, he is better off going somewhere else and doing his thing there..

Also, we only signed Tank Williams for 1 year.. If Tank were to start for us next season, the Vikes would have to resign him.. With that said, after his knee injury, I think he would come rather cheap for us.. If his knee is good to go, they should bring him back and see what he has..
    I like Dwight Smith but I just see too much negative print, hinting that he may be playing in "Sh*ttsburg" next season. Ultimately 2 Old Safety's wont hack it anymore & if I had to pick btw the 2....I'd stick with Sharper.

I am curious to see what the Vikes do as far as a Nickel Back is concerned. I'm not sure if Whitaker or Gordon can improve enough to play the role...however Frazier could bring in either of the two Indy FA's corners this offseason.

Should be interesting.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

dovonte edwards will be back as well so he will be competing for the nickel back spot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast