Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

a few Vikings' 2007 regular season statistics.

Here it is, from nfl.com.

Offense
    Total Offense: #13
    Points/game: #15
    Scrimmage plays: #30
    Yds/game: #13
    Yds/play: #8
    1st downs/game: #19
    3rd down %: #27
    4th down %: #11
    Penalties: #20
    Penalty yds: #20
    TOP/game: #20
    Fumble: #9

Defense
    Pts /game: #21 (#1 is most given up)
    Scrimmage plays: #4
    Yds/game: #13
    Yds/play: #18
    1st downs/game: #12
    4th down %: #25
    Penalties: #5
    Penalty yds: #9
    TOP/game: #11
    Fumbles: #2

What stands out at first glance is the plays from scrimmage on offense and first downs on offense and coming in behind only the Lions in Fumbles.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: a few Vikings' 2007 regular season statistics.

What is amazing to me is that we were #8 in yards per play, yet we were primarily a running team. Its a testament to AD, Chester Taylor and our offensive line. Also, we were 13th in overall offensive, but were 30th in plays from scrimmage. That just shows that we were very effective at moving the ball every play.

I think our offensive is quietly becoming one of the better attacks in the league; we don't bust out a lot of huge plays, but we are very efficient. Our main weakness was on 3rd downs, that is something we really need to work one.
    I think we will show a lot of improvement next year with the maturation of TJack, and hopefully a new receiver to replace Williamson, both of which would greatly improve our 3rd down percentage.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"aaeyers" wrote:

What is amazing to me is that we were #8 in yards per play, yet we were primarily a running team. Its a testament to AD, Chester Taylor and our offensive line. Also, we were 13th in overall offensive, but were 30th in plays from scrimmage. That just shows that we were very effective at moving the ball every play.

I think our offensive is quietly becoming one of the better attacks in the league; we don't bust out a lot of huge plays, but we are very efficient. Our main weakness was on 3rd downs, that is something we really need to work one.
    I think we will show a lot of improvement next year with the maturation of TJack, and hopefully a new receiver to replace Williamson, both of which would greatly improve our 3rd down percentage.
    I think we did actually have more big plays than most. Peterson alone had 14 20+ yard plays.
    I agree that the offense is getting better and can't wait to see how they improve in the offseason. I fully expect them to be one of the top 5 offenses next year. And I also expect the defense to be top 5. If I am right they will be going deep into the playoffs, but I have been wrong before.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

The 3rd down percentage one really jumps out at me, because that is one of the (few) stats that really mean something, and that goes directly to the QB and the offense. I personally think that if you run a "west coast offense" and have invested so much money in the O-line, you should be better there, particularly with AP and Taylor.

Nr. 27. Ugh.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:
    The 3rd down percentage one really jumps out at me, because that is one of the (few) stats that really mean something, and that goes directly to the QB and the offense. I personally think that if you run a "west coast offense" and have invested so much money in the O-line, you should be better there, particularly with AP and Taylor.

Nr. 27. Ugh.
    thats because on a lot of 3rd downs they were 3rd and longs or the line was stacked and we were forced to attempt a short pass.
    Not exactly our strong point, particularly in the earlier parts of the season.
    Hopefully it'll get better

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

So the next question would be, why were we in "3rd and long" so often...

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:
    So the next question would be, why were we in "3rd and long" so often...
    because we couldn't pass so everyone knew to load up against the run?
    ;D

Why defend against what you're not afraid of.
    We need to make them afraid of more than one weapon

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:

I think we did actually have more big plays than most. Peterson alone had 14 20+ yard plays.
    I agree that the offense is getting better and can't wait to see how they improve in the offseason. I fully expect them to be one of the top 5 offenses next year. And I also expect the defense to be top 5. If I am right they will be going deep into the playoffs, but I have been wrong before.
    First, great opening post/thread followed up by two very good posts as well.

Makes one think of were we would be ranked if our passing game would have been a bit more effeciant.

Something to think about.
    It is always easier for a staff to install a running attack (IMHO) than it is to get a passing attack going.
    Especially when you consider the timing that is involved with the passing scheme this staff is trying to instill.

I agree that we should see a marked improvement, much to the delight of the "Instant Gratification" crowd, next year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"StillPurple" wrote:

Nr. 27. Ugh.
    You know what, I also like to look at the 3rd ratio but I looke at it a bit different.

A poor 3rd down conversion rate leads one to believe that they were in 3rd and long alot.
    That is a prime indicator that the offense wasn't very productive on first downs.

When a team gets 5 yards, or better, on first down they have the luxury of being a bit more "Undpredictable" with respect to second down, especially if they got those 1rst down yards via the run.
    If you do that, then the D is ripe for play action on second downs thus staying away from 3rd down conversions all together.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

At the end of the season, isn't this the only statistic that matters;

Minnesota Vikings: 8 - 8

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"