Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re:A few Favre stats to chew on

Marrdro wrote:
    purplepat wrote:
    I didn't necessarily think this team NEEDED Brett Favre, but I would never pass him up either. You don't casually toss aside someone of his track record. I figured if he could keep the picks within reason, he might carry this team far.

But what our 40 year old QB has accomplished this season, even when framed against the rest of his illustrious career, has been nothing short of amazing. Consider the stats that Favre put up for the Vikings this season, compared to what he accomplished over the rest of his career...

107.2 passer rating - highest of his career (previous best 99.5 in '95)
    7 interceptions - fewest of his career as a starter (previous low 13 in '96)
    33 TD passes - most since '97 (had 38, 39, 35 in '95, '96, '97)
    68.4% completion percentage - highest of his career (previous best 66.5% in '07)
    4202 passing yds/262.6 ypg - 3rd best of career (4413/275.8 in '95, 4412/263.3 in '98)
    7.9 yards per pass attempt - highest of his career (previous best 7.8 in '07)
    9 total turnovers (INTs + fumbles lost) - fewest of career (previous low 17 in '94, '95, & '96)

Now, he also set career highs in yards lost to sacks (247, previous high 241 in '96) and career lows in rush attempts (9) and rushing yardage (7), but that's just picking fly stuff out of pepper. For a 40 year old QB to put up the kind of passing numbers that Favre did this year...with a rookie WR, a 3rd year guy who came in with 46 career receptions, and a deep threat hampered by hamstring injuries most of the year, well, that's just pretty damn amazing.
    Some good stuff there.

I don't know about the rest of you guys/gals, but I want some of that stuff the Ole Noodle was smoking this year.

It had to be that stuff that made him all of a sudden have career years.....No way in hell it could be this team making him look good.
    Look at the bright side, if he plays on the team next year it's unlikely that his year will be this good again. Then you can bring all your tired arguments back into the mix and some of them might hold water.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Dibbzz wrote:
    I've already burned all of my Wrangler jeans. Man, I hate that prick.
    501 man myself. Almost quit wearing them over those commercials.

On a side note, did you see that pass he makes on the commerical? You know, the one were he throws high to the cat?

Even the actors were making him look good this year, much like El Syd did in that TD last week that was a sure fire INT until El Syd made a herculian effort to reach over the dudes back and steal it away. B)
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    purplepat wrote:
    I didn't necessarily think this team NEEDED Brett Favre, but I would never pass him up either. You don't casually toss aside someone of his track record. I figured if he could keep the picks within reason, he might carry this team far.

But what our 40 year old QB has accomplished this season, even when framed against the rest of his illustrious career, has been nothing short of amazing. Consider the stats that Favre put up for the Vikings this season, compared to what he accomplished over the rest of his career...

68.4% completion percentage - highest of his career (previous best 66.5% in '07)
    4202 passing yds/262.6 ypg - 3rd best of career (4413/275.8 in '95, 4412/263.3 in '98)
    9 total turnovers (INTs + fumbles lost) - fewest of career (previous low 17 in '94, '95, & '96)

Now, he also set career highs in yards lost to sacks (247, previous high 241 in '96) and career lows in rush attempts (9) and rushing yardage (7), but that's just picking fly stuff out of pepper. For a 40 year old QB to put up the kind of passing numbers that Favre did this year...with a rookie WR, a 3rd year guy who came in with 46 career receptions, and a deep threat hampered by hamstring injuries most of the year, well, that's just pretty damn amazing.
    Some good stuff there.

I don't know about the rest of you guys/gals, but I want some of that stuff the Ole Noodle was smoking this year.

It had to be that stuff that made him all of a sudden have career years.....No way in hell it could be this team making him look good.
    Look at the bright side, if he plays on the team next year it's unlikely that his year will be this good again. Then you can bring all your tired arguments back into the mix and some of them might hold water.
    Two thins.....

1. He is gonna play again next year.

2. The team will be that much better and he will look even better.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    purplepat wrote:

Some good stuff there.

Two thins.....

1. He is gonna play again next year.

2. The team will be that much better and he will look even better.
    I don't think anyone with a couple brain cells left would dispute that he came to play on a damn good team. Conversely, I don't think anybody with a couple brain cells left would argue that he didn't make the offense a helluva lot better. There are plenty of 'subtle' clues like Sydney Rice saying he improved exponentially working with Favre.

The reason for my 'best team since the 70s' comment was because this isn't a patchwork team. It is a team that has been built solidly during the salary cap era and has the personnel to compete every year with minor acquisitions in the offseason. Not some sort of Tice-like, ah, we need someone fast, team building or some sort of Snyderesque, ah, we can win by putting the team into salary cap hell or a Skeletoresque, ah, let's sign all the felons and washed up vets mentality. It is a team built to win. Now all they need is some sort of Dilferesque QB that can morph into a long-term solution at field general. Ok, i'm about ready to puke from loading up an incoherent paragraph with cliches so I'll quit.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

XTAP59 is offline Coordinator

No one can cause a schism faster than Brett Favre. Its a proven fact. i saw it once on FOX news.

Seriously, I did not expect him to be this good. Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin had a lot to do with his success.

LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL
    http://lotgk.wordpress.com

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

jmcdon00 wrote:
    Good stuff. He has clearly beaten all expectations. I really think this could be our year to go all the way.
    I love Brett Favre.

I expected more rushing yards from him...even at 40, he should have had at least 10 yds. But all told, I'm satisfied with his performance this season. Now, on to the promised land!
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

XTAP59 wrote:
    No one can cause a schism faster than Brett Favre. Its a proven fact. i saw it once on FOX news.

Seriously, I did not expect him to be this good. Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin had a lot to do with his success.
    I'm starting to like you more and more.

When was the last time I told you that you were wise beyond your years my friend?

Best post of the day.

Marrdro wrote:
    XTAP59 wrote:

When was the last time I told you that you were wise beyond your years my friend?

Best post of the day.
    Great post, especially if you ignore the quotes from the WRs that said they have learned so much and progressed exponentially since Favre took the reigns. The quote works even better yet if you ignore how much the ball was spread around on the offense to contributions from Bernard Berrian, Jeff Dugan, Percy Harvin, Jaymar Johnson, Jimmy Kleinsasser, Greg Lewis, Adrian Peterson, Sydney Rice, Visanthe Shiancoe, Naufahu Tahi and Chester Taylor. It works even better if you ignore 4000 yards in the air. Yes, good post.

Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    XTAP59 wrote:

Best post of the day.
    Great post, especially if you ignore the quotes from the WRs that said they have learned so much and progressed exponentially since Favre took the reigns. The quote works even better yet if you ignore how much the ball was spread around on the offense to contributions from Bernard Berrian, Jeff Dugan, Percy Harvin, Jaymar Johnson, Jimmy Kleinsasser, Greg Lewis, Adrian Peterson, Sydney Rice, Visanthe Shiancoe, Naufahu Tahi and Chester Taylor. It works even better if you ignore 4000 yards in the air. Yes, good post.
    Of course a few players will say things like that. Don't want to piss the Noodle off, he won't throw them the ball and they won't meet thier contract escalators.....

.....snicker.....

Were's Mars today?

Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    XTAP59 wrote:

Best post of the day.
    Of course a few players will say things like that. Don't want to piss the Noodle off, he won't throw them the ball and they won't meet thier contract escalators.....

.....snicker.....

Were's Mars today?
    I don't know, I'm getting sick of defending his turf.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast