Thread: Ferraro factor?

Prophet Guest

Ferraro factor?

Ferraro factor?
    Saturday, September 16th, 2006
    by Judd Zulgad
    Link

Vikings special teams coordinator Paul Ferraro spent last season as a special teams assistant and assistant strength and conditioning coach with the Carolina Panthers.

So how much help has Ferraro been able to provide Vikings coaches this week as they prepare for Sunday’s home opener against Carolina?

“It’s probably a bit overrated,” he said. “Certainly I know the personnel pretty good. Other than that from a scheme standpoint, they play as hard as anybody in the league and are coached as well as anybody in the league on special teams. I don’t see any advantage there at all.”

Basically, what Ferraro wants everyone to believe, including the Panthers, is he knows little to nothing that will help. This might be close to the case but one would think there are few tips he passed on during meetings this week.

By the way, Ferraro’s replacement with the Panthers is former Gophers receiver Tony Levine.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Ferraro factor?

i actually didnt know that, cant help that much....

but hey, any edge is better than none

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Prophet Guest

Like the author implied, I'm sure it helps more than Ferraro is leading us to believe.
    It definitely couldn't hurt, still fresh in his memory and they had relatively few changes in their personnel.
    Not a big factor, but something.

Prophet Guest

Good call Judd!

==============================

Postgame thoughts
    Sunday, September 17th, 2006
    by Judd Zulgad

I put an item on the blog Saturday that used a quote from special teams coordinator Paul Ferraro. Ferraro, who was on Carolina’s coaching staff last season, had attempted to downplay how much of an advantage it would be having knowledge about the Panthers and their personnel.

Turns out — and we’re shocked by this — he was trying to throw us all off. Ferraro’s knowledge of the Panthers special teams — he was an assistant special teams coach in Carolina — led to the fourth-quarter play in which kicker Ryan Longwell threw a touchdown pass to Richard Owens on a fake-field goal attempt.

That tied the score at 13 and the Vikings won it on a Longwell field goal in overtime.

The fake had been put in Wednesday and the Vikings worked at it in practice. Remember, the media is only allowed to watch a very limited portion of each practice so we certainly didn’t see this being worked on.

Give Ferraro credit for using his knowledge to beat his former employer.
    And give coach Brad Childress credit for letting the game-tying play be run. It’s interesting. The Vikings offense no longer features the deep passing attack of Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss, and for the most part is very workmanlike, but it isn’t as if Childress won’t take any chances. The Vikings ended up three-for-three in fourth-down situations on Sunday.

Now, let’s touch on three things that the Vikings either need to address or will be concerned about as they watch film of this game.

1) Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers might be all-world but right tackle Marcus Johnson has to play better. Peppers had three of Carolina’s five sacks and four quarterback hurries. Most of this came against Johnson. Childress admitted he should have given Johnson more help and why he didn’t is beyond this blog, but Johnson must become more consistent. If he doesn’t, Mike Rosenthal might get his old job back.

2) The Vikings were a very impressive 9-for-17 on third-down situations against Washington. But Carolina held the Vikings to 2-for-15 (13 percent) on Sunday. What happened? Good question. There has to be a happy medium. This also might be a testament to the fact Washington is very overrated. A 27-10 Redskins loss in Dallas on Sunday night did nothing to change this opinion.

3) Troy Williamson needs to be taken off kick returns. A week after either looking brilliant or brutal against Washington, Williamson came through with six catches for 102 yards against Carolina. And he did it playing much of the game with a bad shoulder. Williamson clearly is starting to become a No. 1-type receiver — it was interesting to hear former Packer Darren Sharper compare him to Javon Walker after Sunday’s game – and shouldn’t have the added duties of returning kicks. Why? Two reasons. One, he’s going to get enough playing time on offense without wearing himself out doing something he clearly isn’t a big fan of doing. Two, if Williamson gets hurt while returning kicks, Childress’ popularity quickly could head south

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

What was really interesting was that the play was practiced at least 10 times indoors in the past week. Now we know why the press isn't allowed inside.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Jviking is offline Pro-Bowler

this is a good read.
    nice points at the end.
    I think the fourth is the loss og erasmus.
    I BLEED PURPLE!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

good find prophet way to follow up with the thread.

Prophet Guest

"Jviking" wrote:
    this is a good read.
    nice points at the end.
    I think the fourth is the loss og erasmus.
    Yeah, he added that to a later blog:

James season finished
    Monday, September 18th, 2006
    by Judd Zulgad

Vikings defensive end Erasmus James tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee Sunday against Carolina and will undergo season-ending surgery. Coach Brad Childress said at his Monday news conference that James is, “making plans right now on where and when that will occur.”

James is expected to rehab the injury for a couple of weeks and then have the procedure.

Said Childress: “He had a great training camp, I’m sorry to see that happen. Unfortunately that’s the nature of this game and it’s a tough part of this game.”

James was injured in the fourth quarter during a 1-yard run by the Panthers’ DeShaun Foster. “I was just holding up the block,” James said Sunday. “I don’t know if someone got blocked into me or someone came down and chopped me.”

Childress did not immediately say how the Vikings planned to replace James. One option is to have rookie Ray Edwards start in James’ place at right end. Another option would be to move Kenechi Udeze to right end and have Darrion Scott start at left end.

Scott became a starter last season when Udeze was lost because of a knee injury.

James will be placed on injured reserve, joining linebacker Chad Greenway (knee); safety Tank Williams (knee); and cornerback Dovonte Edwards (arm).

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

James will be placed on injured reserve, joining linebacker Chad Greenway (knee); safety Tank Williams (knee); and cornerback Dovonte Edwards (arm).
    That list sucks!

Those guys were suppose to play HUGE parts this year.
    Even though it was unclear which of these guys were definite full-time starters, they were significant in the depth chart.

Just think of the depth if healthy.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Such is life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE