vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Felton suspended three games

Vikings’ Jerome Felton suspended three games

Jerome Felton, the Vikings’ starting fullback, will miss the first three games of the regular season.

The NFL has announced that Felton is suspended three games for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy.
    Oops

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Anyone know exactly how the substance abuse policy works with alcohol?

Felton got a DUI. Does that increase his test frequency for alcohol? Or all "substances of abuse?"

And if it does increase testing frequency for all "substances of abuse" how would the drugs they presumably gave him post-appendectomy a couple weeks ago figure into this? If he took an opiate based analgesic, which would obviously show up on a drug test, would they suspend him?

Bad news regardless, but I'm curious to see how this plays out.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    I think, and this is purely speculation, that it is separate from the DUI arrest, although it's not being reported like this. Usually DUI arrests fall under conduct policy.

Not sure what the suspension is for.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    I think, and this is purely speculation, that it is separate from the DUI arrest, although it's not being reported like this. Usually DUI arrests fall under conduct policy.

Not sure what the suspension is for.
    I was under the impression that it was related to the DUI. He never received any punishment from the NFL last year, starting all 16 games. It would makes sense that the case was tied up in court and the NFL finally acted on it now.

I could be wrong.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    Anyone know exactly how the substance abuse policy works with alcohol?

Felton got a DUI. Does that increase his test frequency for alcohol? Or all "substances of abuse?"

And if it does increase testing frequency for all "substances of abuse" how would the drugs they presumably gave him post-appendectomy a couple weeks ago figure into this? If he took an opiate based analgesic, which would obviously show up on a drug test, would they suspend him?

Bad news regardless, but I'm curious to see how this plays out.
    I think it's an area of focus right now between Goodell and the players' union. Mostly I've only read about increased fines and suspensions, don't know about any increased drug testing plans.

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I was under the impression that it was related to the DUI. He never received any punishment from the NFL last year, starting all 16 games. It would makes sense that the case was tied up in court and the NFL finally acted on it now.

I could be wrong.
    I think you're right. I can't find anything about a fine stemming from last years DWI arrest. But could the first offense seriously result in a 3 game suspension? That seems awfully harsh.

I thought, and the policy may have changed with the new CBA, that first offense put you in the program. Repeat (I don't know the number) offenses result in suspension. Didn't Jared Allen get arrested for DUI 3 times before it resulted in suspension? That's the only reason I suspect Felton's suspension has to do with a substance other than alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I think it's an area of focus right now between Goodell and the players' union. Mostly I've only read about increased fines and suspensions, don't know about any increased drug testing plans.
    Guys in the substance abuse program get tested for drugs other than PEDs far more frequently than guys not in the program. I know that for sure.

EDIT: Here we go:
    Laces Out – NFL on FOX Blog
    For any drug or alcohol related arrest you are put in “The Program.” Obviously, if you fail a test, you are put in “The Program.” So, 90 days goes by and I have zero failed tests, zero missed counselor sessions, zero missed relocations. Basically, I was doing everything I could to live life by “The Program.” I didn’t touch alcohol or any other drugs. I basically didn’t leave my house for 90 days. I figured I already did enough by ending up in this program, I’m not messing up while being in “The Program.”
    I was urine tested 190 times in 27 months. I had 108 counselor sessions. 100 “change of location” conversations.
    Last edited by Mr Anderson; 08-26-2013 at 03:51 PM.