Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Fear rules the Vikings

"pack93z" wrote:
    I agree it is fear.. however I don't think it is an internal fear that is the root cause.
    ;D

Simply..

Yeah, Yeah so we aren't exactly tearing it up either.. but jesting isn't always about reality is it.

Ah, that was rich.

"PurpleSun" wrote:
    This is my first time posting a new topic, so I hope it hasn't been discussed before.

IMO, fear is why the Vikes are losing.
    Sure you could call it pressure, but in this case the pressure is resulting in fear as they are not doing well.

Brad Childress and his coaching staff are in fear of losing their jobs.
    Zygi gave him everything he wanted, spending tons in guarenteed money.
    Brad backed Jackson all off season and pulled the plug after 2 games, which increased the pressure.
    This guy must be waking up in the middle of the night in panic.

Allen and Berrian were paid big bucks to fill in the Vikings weak spots.
    Which so far they have been severly underachieving.
    This can't be sitting well with them.
    I read quotes from each making excuses or rationalizing their poor performance.

T Johnson is scared because he's a rookie put in a hard spot on one of last years worst pass defenses.
    Gotta be tough.

Griffin should be scared, because if he doesn't start performing, the Vikes will be looking for a better CB in the off season.
    He's had 3 years to step up his game.
    Didn't get a INT all last year and so far none this year.

Shiancoe might be finally losing his fear, as he didn't do bad the last 2 games, but before he looked scared, especially in the endzone.
    We will have to see next time he's there to see if he's over it.

All this fear is contagious and is infecting the rest of the team.

Fear = mistakes, which the Vikes have been doing regularly.

i totally agree with you. we play not to make mistakes. its said. they need to sell out and look to blow people out. not just hang around. it makes me sick

ragz is offline GM

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "PurpleSun" wrote:
    But I will agree maybe "fear" isn't the right word, but a "lack of confidence".
    They just don't look like a team that comes into the game expecting to win.

The only player I think that comes in willing to leave his blood on the field is Peterson.

Before the season there was lots of bravado coming from Allen and company.
    That is all gone as they have yet to be anything but average.

Childress is the one that needs to correct this, but I feel the players have turned a deaf ear to his words.

I remember a couple years ago that Winfield had issues with Childresses play calling, but that seemed to go away.
    Why?
    Because it was useless to tell Childress that his system wasn't great, and if it wasn't it was the players.

Whether it's Childress and coaches or players this team hasn't the look of a team that is trying to win, they are just trying not to lose.
    Wow, even though I agree that this team has issues, I just don't understand some of your observations.......

A deaf ear?

Trying not to lose?

Maybe you aren't watching the games I am seeing.
    Seems to me we have been competitive every game and seem to make a stupid mistake (holding, fumble, INT) at the most inoportune of times which results in a loss.

Nope, I still think the team is buying what the Chiller (and staff) are selling.
    They just aren't being consistent enough to put it all together.

If I was seeing stuff like we are seeing from other teams (Bengals, Dallas, etc) then I might agree but to date I haven't seen anything like that or have I missed an article or two in my absence that has players dissenting? :
    well marr, hearing players say week in and week out they are too good to be losing, but then keep losing their focus is going to start going from self evalutation to looking to the people above them.
    and playing not to lose is running on 3rd and 5 settling for a 49 yard field goal instead of going for the jugular, getting the first down, and getting 7 to totally close the game out against indy.
    how long do we have to listen to childress saying were close cuz we only lose games by one score.
    well if we are losing 2/3 of the close games if not more than how you are playing the games is probably the cause.
    if dumping balls off and settling for punts and field goals is not a recipe for eventual loss then i dont know what is.
    his lack of aggressiveness, most of the time cuz once in a blue moon he'll go for it on a 4th down or have jackson throw with 21 seconds left in a half, ends up costing you games in the 4th quarter when you lose by less than a td.
    its not like we think he really is trying to lose, its that we think hes so stupid he still thinks his philosphy is a formula for victory.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

PurpleSun is offline Rookie

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "PurpleSun" wrote:
    But I will agree maybe "fear" isn't the right word, but a "lack of confidence".
    They just don't look like a team that comes into the game expecting to win.

The only player I think that comes in willing to leave his blood on the field is Peterson.

Before the season there was lots of bravado coming from Allen and company.
    That is all gone as they have yet to be anything but average.

Childress is the one that needs to correct this, but I feel the players have turned a deaf ear to his words.

I remember a couple years ago that Winfield had issues with Childresses play calling, but that seemed to go away.
    Why?
    Because it was useless to tell Childress that his system wasn't great, and if it wasn't it was the players.

Whether it's Childress and coaches or players this team hasn't the look of a team that is trying to win, they are just trying not to lose.
    Wow, even though I agree that this team has issues, I just don't understand some of your observations.......

A deaf ear?

Trying not to lose?

Maybe you aren't watching the games I am seeing.
    Seems to me we have been competitive every game and seem to make a stupid mistake (holding, fumble, INT) at the most inoportune of times which results in a loss.

Nope, I still think the team is buying what the Chiller (and staff) are selling.
    They just aren't being consistent enough to put it all together.

If I was seeing stuff like we are seeing from other teams (Bengals, Dallas, etc) then I might agree but to date I haven't seen anything like that or have I missed an article or two in my absence that has players dissenting? :
    "Competitive" is the term the loser uses to justify the loss.
    "We played tough"
    "It was a close game"
    Words of the losers.

Mental mistakes are caused by something.
    I think it's because they have lost focus, are over thinking, are anxious, are confused.... where does this come from?
    They don't believe, are fooling themselves, or just putting on the brave face.

Childress has not shown them anything to give them confidence.

Watch the bye week if the Vikes go in 2-5, I think you will hear some disgrunted players.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123