V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: FBI Won't Pursue Charges In Vikings' Boat Scandal

HAHA

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Four Vikings charged with party boat misdemeanors

Thursday, December 15, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- Quarterback Daunte Culpepper and three other Minnesota Vikings were charged Thursday with three misdemeanors each for taking part in a bawdy boat party earlier this season on Lake Minnetonka.

Culpepper, Bryant McKinnie, Fred Smoot and Moe Williams were charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct, according to court papers.

Prosecutor Steve Tallen's decision was based on findings by the Hennepin County sheriff's office, whose investigators reviewed allegations of lewd and drunken behavior aboard a floating party Oct. 6 that involved some Vikings players.

Crew members complained that some people took off their clothes and engaged in public sex acts during the cruise, according to Stephen Doyle, an attorney representing the boat owners, Al & Alma's Supper Club and Charter Cruises in Mound. The crew members identified 17 Vikings among about 90 people on the two boats.

Doyle had said Smoot paid for one of the cruises. Smoot responded by threatening to sue whoever ``put my name in there.'

Reports that some women at the party were paid to come from Minnesota had raised the possibility of federal charges, but U.S. Attorney Tom Heffelfinger said Thursday that no such charges would be brought. Heffelfinger cited insufficient evidence.

That decision, along with sheriff's decision to send the case to Tallen's office, meant any charges would be minor. Tallen is the prosecuting attorney for the Lake Minnetonka Conservation District, which handles nonfelony crimes committed on the big lake just west of Minneapolis.

The boat scandal hit the Vikings when they were already reeling, off to a 1-3 start, and made them the object of national ridicule on late-night TV and cable sports channels. New owner Zygi Wilf, who had been seeking state help for a new stadium, responded forcefully, apologizing to Gov. Tim Pawlenty and other state officials and instituting a new code of conduct.

The team has since recovered on the field and, with quarterback Brad Johnson replacing the injured Culpepper, reeled off six straight wins to become a playoff contender at 8-5.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

CanadaViking is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Four Vikings charged with party boat misdemeanors

What exactly does this mean? Does it mean that McKinnie and Smoot aren't playin come Sunday? Why is it that it takes 2 months to figure all of this stuff out? I for one hope that now that these players have been charged with their misdemeanours that all of this garbage is behind us!!!

I really think that this is probably not the best thing for these guys family lives (pissed off wives), I hope that it will not affect the teams performance on Sunday!! Man, Culpepper must be just freakin out, what a dismal season for this guy, this is pretty much as bad as it can get for C-Pep!!!

I hope that the boys can muster up som emotivation from these charges, as a let down now could be costly!!

Cheers!!

ancoin is offline Starter

If they have to go to prison then for how long?? im not i to US law

Thank to Lotza

C-PepNSalt is offline Pro-Bowler

You guys, it's just minor charges, all it does is give them a fine...they will still be playing in the game on sunday.
    "Johnson, we will keep on beating them until morale improves."

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"CanadaViking" wrote:
    What exactly does this mean? Does it mean that McKinnie and Smoot aren't playin come Sunday? Why is it that it takes 2 months to figure all of this stuff out? I for one hope that now that these players have been charged with their misdemeanours that all of this garbage is behind us!!!

I really think that this is probably not the best thing for these guys family lives (pissed off wives), I hope that it will not affect the teams performance on Sunday!! Man, Culpepper must be just freakin out, what a dismal season for this guy, this is pretty much as bad as it can get for C-Pep!!!

I hope that the boys can muster up som emotivation from these charges, as a let down now could be costly!!

Cheers!!
    My guess, is that this is there punishment. I don't think that there will be a suspension. I could be wrong. They may get fined by the team if that is possible but I doubt that.

Hopefully, the TEAM will use this as fire for this weeks game and it won't be a distraction. I bet a lot of the guys are relieved to have this over with. They all need to keep there mouth shut and play football.

Prophet Guest

Head coach Mike Tice, who was careful with his reaction, said unless there is a conviction of some type he will not take any action or speak further on the matter.

Vikings | Police and courts: QB Daunte Culpepper
    Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:02:54 -0800

Associated Press reports Minnesota Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper has been charged with three misdemeanors for taking part in a boat part earlier this year on Lake Minnetonka. He has been charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct, according to court papers. Head coach Mike Tice, who was careful with his reaction, said unless there is a conviction of some type he will not take any action or speak further on the matter.

Vikings | Police and courts: OT Bryant McKinnie
    Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:02:22 -0800

Associated Press reports Minnesota Vikings OT Bryant McKinnie has been charged with three misdemeanors for taking part in a boat party earlier this year on Lake Minnetonka. He has been charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct, according to court papers. Head coach Mike Tice, who was careful with his reaction, said unless there is a conviction of some type he will not take any action or speak further on the matter.

Vikings | Police and courts: CB Fred Smoot
    Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:02:00 -0800

Associated Press reports Minnesota Vikings CB Fred Smoot has been charged with three misdemeanors for taking part in a boat party earlier this year on Lake Minnetonka. He has been charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct, according to court papers. According to the court papers, Smoot and DE Lance Johnston arranged for the charter. Smoot previously threatened to sue whoever put his name down as paying for them. Head coach Mike Tice, who was careful with his reaction, said unless there is a conviction of some type he will not take any action or speak further on the matter.

Vikings | Police and courts: RB Moe Williams
    Thu, 15 Dec 2005 10:55:38 -0800

Associated Press reports Minnesota Vikings RB Moe Williams has been charged with three misdemeanors for taking part in a boat party earlier this year on Lake Minnetonka. He has been charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct, according to court papers. Head coach Mike Tice, who was careful with his reaction, said unless there is a conviction of some type he will not take any action or speak further on the matter.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I like what Tice said, it just needs to be ended.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

jimmymac is offline Pro-Bowler

"Vikes" wrote:
    Thursday, December 15, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

<snip>
    This decision seems fair.

With misdemeanors the players will probably just pled no contest (to avoid a public trial) and they will get off with fines and community service. No jail.
    -- Sarcasm always turned on --

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

I got mad right when I saw the title of this article. Why did they have to bring this back to the public eye right before the Steelers game?! Also, I can't believe Culpepper had anything to do with the whole thing... dang.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast