Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re:Favre's HORRIBLE playoff record

gregair13 wrote:
    The TC has a point and made a solid post, but really does not mean a lot. I am sure someone could make the same type of post to prove and then disprove that Favre is the greatest QB of all time. A lot of his numbers are simply because he has been doing it for so long, but that is why he is great. No one will ever be able to pass his start records. Some of those other numbers are just godly.
    Keep in mind though, that a lot of his records were a direct result of playing a 16 game season.

Players like Tarkenton, who set many records in an era prior to a 16 game season, did so in 14 game seasons.

If the league goes to an 18 game regular season, like they are pushing for, a lot of current records, even Favre's, will be broken by future stars. For example, many RB's will have 1,000+ rushing seasons.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

V4L Wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    Hmmmm...Favre sure has stunk in the play-offs...

...we'll do MUCH better with Jackson. His playoff record is FAR superior...

Caine
    Must you always mention Jackson?
    I'm so sorry. Would you have preferred I'd used Rosenfels there? Or Webb? Fact is, Jackson is on our roster, and is the likely starter in the event Favre isn't playing...that means that all of these "Oh, look on the bright side" posts showing how "bad" Brett is have to be tempered by the "Reality Slap" of what we will indeed be getting instead of Brett.

Currently, that's Jackson.

So, until that changes, the answer is "yes, I must".

Caine

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Caine wrote:
    V4L Wrote:
    Caine wrote:

Caine
    I'm so sorry. Would you have preferred I'd used Rosenfels there? Or Webb? Fact is, Jackson is on our roster, and is the likely starter in the event Favre isn't playing...that means that all of these "Oh, look on the bright side" posts showing how "bad" Brett is have to be tempered by the "Reality Slap" of what we will indeed be getting instead of Brett.

Caine
    He simply points out Favre isn't quite the god every one thinks he is and in reality isn't a very good post season performer.. So everyone should stop overreacting over his "retirement"

It wasn't about Jackson.. It's about Favre.. Not every thread needs to be high jacked into a Jackson thread just because you hate him.. We know you do..

Fact is Favre (and Jackson, yes we are aware) haven't been very good post season performers lately.. That's all this was about

Not a Jackson sucks thread.. You turn too many into that..

So if you want to discuss Favre's mishaps in this thread.. Let's do that.. If you want to talk about Jackson's mishaps (or mishap) is a thread.. Go make one

Get's old with your nagging.. I'll sum it up.. WE know that you think he sucks.. We know that you think he will fail to deliver anything worth while to the team.. And we know you don't think he will be with us after next year.. Now if you want to discuss this any further add it into another thread.. This one is about Brett and the post season.. Don't highjack it

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

singersp wrote:
    gregair13 wrote:
    The TC has a point and made a solid post, but really does not mean a lot. I am sure someone could make the same type of post to prove and then disprove that Favre is the greatest QB of all time. A lot of his numbers are simply because he has been doing it for so long, but that is why he is great. No one will ever be able to pass his start records. Some of those other numbers are just godly.
    Keep in mind though, that a lot of his records were a direct result of playing a 16 game season.

Players like Tarkenton, who set many records in an era prior to a 16 game season, did so in 14 game seasons.

If the league goes to an 18 game regular season, like they are pushing for, a lot of current records, even Favre's, will be broken by future stars. For example, many RB's will have 1,000+ rushing seasons.
    I actually thought about the same point of the 18 game season when I was making that post, but left it out as it is not a real thing yet. But you are right. If we get an 18 game schedule, some records will for sure be falling.

However, will some teams just lock up their division and home field advantage sooner? Meaning starters do not have meaningful games at the end of the season? What about injuries? No way someone can play for 20 years with 18 games a year. Even 17 years with 18 games is not enough for that record.

As for runningbacks, the average career is about 4 years. Will it be even shorter with 2 extra games a year?
    We're bringing purple back.

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

V4L wrote:
    Ugh....
    LOL.. :laugh:

V4L wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    V4L Wrote:
    Caine wrote:

Caine

Caine
    He simply points out Favre isn't quite the god every one thinks he is and in reality isn't a very good post season performer.. So everyone should stop overreacting over his "retirement"

It wasn't about Jackson.. It's about Favre.. Not every thread needs to be high jacked into a Jackson thread just because you hate him.. We know you do..

Fact is Favre (and Jackson, yes we are aware) haven't been very good post season performers lately.. That's all this was about

So if you want to discuss Favre's mishaps in this thread.. Let's do that.. If you want to talk about Jackson's mishaps (or mishap) is a thread.. Go make one

Get's old with your nagging.. I'll sum it up.. WE know that you think he sucks.. We know that you think he will fail to deliver anything worth while to the team.. And we know you don't think he will be with us after next year.. Now if you want to discuss this any further add it into another thread.. This one is about Brett and the post season.. Don't highjack it
    Wow..someone needs a nap.

The POINT is that you CANNOT have one discussion without the other. Favre does not exist in a vacuum, and his leaving does not cause a seemless transition in power, ability, or probable season results.

By pointing out how poor Favre has played, it also highlights how much more screwed we are if/when he leaves us because of our potential replacements.

Of course, those whose knickers are wound in a knot might choose to take the substance of the original post as...how did you put it? Oh yeah, a "Favre isn't quite the god every one thinks he is and in reality isn't a very good post season performer.. So everyone should stop overreacting over his "retirement"" post...but there's a problem with that...it only goes half way.

So, if Favre is NOT the end all be all of QB's on our roster, and since he's played so poorly in the playoffs (Allegedly), what is the UPSIDE of his leaving? After all, according to you and the original poster, we're potentially better off...right?

Well, by looking at our ROSTER - which one must do, since that is the replacement pool - we see that JACKSON and ROSENFELS are there.

Uh-oh...we're heading towards another Jackson-bash...cover your eyes...

So, we factor in everything WRONG with Brett Favre, we remove him from our depth chart, and we insert Peyton Manning. Oh wait...no...he's not on our team. We insert Tom Brady......dammit!!! Again, not one of ours. We insert.....Tarvaris Jackson.

Now how does your playoff picture look? Does it look like you'll even GET THERE?

I get that you - and those who continue to believe Jackson is a "diamond in the rough" - prefer to see only half of the picture. And I sort of feel badly that I have to keep reminding you of the rest of the story.

But, on the bright side, just think of how good you're going to feel when you get to rub my face in Jackson's Superbowl MVP award...

:woohoo:

Caine

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Caine wrote:
    V4L wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    V4L Wrote:
    Caine wrote:

Caine

Caine

The POINT is that you CANNOT have one discussion without the other. Favre does not exist in a vacuum, and his leaving does not cause a seemless transition in power, ability, or probable season results.

By pointing out how poor Favre has played, it also highlights how much more screwed we are if/when he leaves us because of our potential replacements.

Of course, those whose knickers are wound in a knot might choose to take the substance of the original post as...how did you put it? Oh yeah, a "Favre isn't quite the god every one thinks he is and in reality isn't a very good post season performer.. So everyone should stop overreacting over his "retirement"" post...but there's a problem with that...it only goes half way.

So, if Favre is NOT the end all be all of QB's on our roster, and since he's played so poorly in the playoffs (Allegedly), what is the UPSIDE of his leaving? After all, according to you and the original poster, we're potentially better off...right?

Well, by looking at our ROSTER - which one must do, since that is the replacement pool - we see that JACKSON and ROSENFELS are there.

So, we factor in everything WRONG with Brett Favre, we remove him from our depth chart, and we insert Peyton Manning. Oh wait...no...he's not on our team. We insert Tom Brady......dammit!!! Again, not one of ours. We insert.....Tarvaris Jackson.

Now how does your playoff picture look? Does it look like you'll even GET THERE?

I get that you - and those who continue to believe Jackson is a "diamond in the rough" - prefer to see only half of the picture. And I sort of feel badly that I have to keep reminding you of the rest of the story.

But, on the bright side, just think of how good you're going to feel when you get to rub my face in Jackson's Superbowl MVP award...

Caine

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Caine wrote:
    V4L wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    V4L Wrote:
    Caine wrote:

Caine

Caine

Caine

It's not the actual bringing up of Jackson that rubs me the wrong way here

It's the comments like "Oh Jackson will do soooooooooo much better" No one here said that.. I doubt anyone here thinks that.. So the sarcastic comments aren't needed

I think it would be hard pressed to find someone who would agree we would be better off with Jackson (Marrdro doesn't count) And I think it would be very tough to find anyone who thinks Jackson would have got us as far into the playoffs that Favre did.. AND have the success Favre did

As for the playoffs.. We've seen the last few games with Favre and the ending results.. That's all this is about.. Not if Jackson will do the same thing (I'm aware you believe he will throw away the games if he's not carried)It's a different spin on things, it isn't a diss to Favre or anything like that.. Just is showing all that he just hasn't really performed well in the playoffs (Jackson is to be seen, the one game was awful)

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

Stupid pass or not, the Vikings would not have been NFC runner ups last season without Favre.

Let's ask the other 12 teams in the NFC that did not make the conference title game what they prefer. Losing it or not making it there at all?
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

V4L wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    V4L wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    V4L Wrote:
    Caine wrote:

Caine

Caine

Caine

It's not the actual bringing up of Jackson that rubs me the wrong way here

It's the comments like "Oh Jackson will do soooooooooo much better" No one here said that.. I doubt anyone here thinks that.. So the sarcastic comments aren't needed

I think it would be hard pressed to find someone who would agree we would be better off with Jackson (Marrdro doesn't count) And I think it would be very tough to find anyone who thinks Jackson would have got us as far into the playoffs that Favre did.. AND have the success Favre did

As for the playoffs.. We've seen the last few games with Favre and the ending results.. That's all this is about.. Not if Jackson will do the same thing (I'm aware you believe he will throw away the games if he's not carried)It's a different spin on things, it isn't a diss to Favre or anything like that.. Just is showing all that he just hasn't really performed well in the playoffs (Jackson is to be seen, the one game was awful)
    And still, I repeat, the original post WAS a "diss" towards Favre...it highlighted his failings in the post season. Further, the message that it isn't the "end of the world" inplies that something better is waiting for us - due to Favre's failings - because he has been so "bad" in the play offs.

My reply was the natural conclusion to that post...the original author simply chose to stop in the middle.

I'll give you an example: We are stuck on an island. All there is to eat are Coconuts and bird crap. After a week, I say to you, "Well, it's not the end of the world...you don't have to eat coconuts anymore"

THAT is where the original post stopped. Now, the natural conclusion of the example is that you have the option of eating bird crap. Aren't you THRILLED?

Same as the original post, the alleged upside of losing Favre's poor post season play is that we are replacing it with something...and that something is Jackson.

And I chose sarcasm as a means to illustrate that.

Finally, if replacing Favre does NOT make us better, then from a Viking fan point of view it IS the "end of the world." After all, no Favre probably means no Superbowl, and possibly no post season at all.

So, I ask again, where is the upside of the original post?

Caine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast