Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    birdman is offline Training Camp

Favre's HORRIBLE playoff record

Before any one gets too suicidal about today's rumors, think about this:

Eagles fan will ever forget Brett Favre floating the football skyward and right to a waiting Brian Dawkins on his first pass of overtime at the Linc in 2003.

No Giants fan will forget Corey Webster picking off Favre’s first pass of overtime in the 2007 NFC Championship Game at Lambeau Field.

And no Saints an will ever forget Favre’s final pass of the 2009 season on Championship Sunday.

Favre is one of the best pure passers in NFL history, but his legacy has been tarnished by his penchant for unthinkable end-of-game interceptions in the postseason.

Favre’s ridiculous pass in the closing seconds of the fourth quarter in the Vikings’ NFC Championship Game loss to the Saints Sunday, this one picked off by Tracy Porter, is only the latest piece of evidence that Favre’s playoff performance this decade is among the worst by a quarterback in NFL history.

Favre has now lost seven of his last 11 postseason games, and he’s thrown 19 interceptions in those seven losses – nearly three per game. You can make a case that his late-game playoff interceptions have cost his team two – and perhaps three – trips to the Super Bowl since 2003.

A Hall of Famer? Definitely. A dreadful postseason quarterback this decade? No doubt. Let’s take a look inside the ol’ gunslinger’s playoff numbers:

• Favre has been the losing quarterback in three of the NFL’s last six postseason overtime games, and he’s thrown a devastating interception on his final pass attempt in all three games. There have only been four overtime conference championship games in history, and Favre has lost two of them – one for the Packers, one for the Vikings.

• Only 19 quarterbacks during the past decade have had more than one playoff game with multiple interceptions. Favre has had five. He’s 0-5 in those games.

• In his career, Favre has had nine multiple-interception playoff games. He is 1-8 in those games. Only Dan Marino (10) has more in NFL history.

• Favre has been laughably bad in his six playoff losses this decade. He’s got a 58.6 passer rating in those games, with nearly twice as many interceptions (17) as touchdown passes (nine).

• Favre’s .400 postseason winning percentage this decade (4-6) ranks him 22nd out of the 27 quarterbacks who started at least five postseason games between 2000 and 2009. Here’s the top five and the bottom five:

Top 5
    .800 … Ben Roethlisberger (8-2)
    .778 … Tom Brady (14-4)
    .625 … Jake Delhomme (5-3)
    .600 … Kurt Warner (6-4)
    .571 … Rich Gannon (4-3)
    .571 … Eli Manning (4-3)

Bottom 5
    .333 … Jeff Garcia (2-4)
    .333 … Chad Pennington (2-4)
    .333 … Steve McNair (2-4)
    .400 … Brett Favre (4-6)
    .400 … Michael Vick (2-3)

Since 1960, some 44 quarterbacks have started at least seven postseason games in any particular decade. Favre’s 4-6 record from 2000-2009 is second-worst of those 44 single-decade performances, ahead of only Billy Kilmer’s 2-5 record with the Redskins in the 1970s.

Here are the best and worst QB postseason decades:

Top 5
    .900 … Bart Starr (9-1), 1960-69
    .833 … Len Dawson (5-1), 1960-69
    .800 … Ben Roethlisberger (8-2), 2000-09
    .800 … Jim Plunkett (8-2), 1980-89
    .778 … Tom Brady (14-4), 2000-09
    .778 … Terry Bradshaw (14-4), 1970-79

Bottom 5
    .429 … Neil O’Donnell (3-4), 1990-99
    .429 … David Krieg (3-4), 1980-89
    .429 … Bernie Kosar (3-4), 1980-89
    .417 … Dan Marino (5-7), 1990-99
    .400 … Brett Favre (4-6), 2000-09
    .286 … Billy Kilmer (2-5), 1970-79

• It wasn’t a playoff game, but Favre’s final pass in his one year as a Jet was picked off by Andre’ Goodman of the Dolphins at the Miami 25-yard-line with the Jets down seven after blowing a third-quarter lead.

Favre threw three interceptions in that game. But that didn’t cost the Jets a playoff spot. Favre had already done that by going 1-4 in the Jets’ last five games, in which he had two TDs and nine INTs.
    None

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Favre's HORRIBLE playoff record

Ugh....

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Yes, we're all aware of Favre's bad games in the playoffs, he's had many, many multiple interception games during the offseason. He's also had many great games including a SB win.

So...

shut up :P

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

So what's your point?

Are you just trying to stir the pot here or what?

I think it is pretty clear how most people feel about the matter on both sides.

V4L

I think he was just saying don't overreact

When he won the bowl he had the top D with him? Top ST's?

He is labeled Lord Favre.. But sucks in the playoffs.. Like Lebron James

V4L

Basically saying it's not the end of the world if he does in fact retire

No one should over react.. Take a step back and face the facts

He's seeing the bright side of things and the other side of the fence

Respect you for that my man.. I'd love to have him here.. I still think even with his age and injuries and horrible playoff performances he STILL gives us the best chance

On the other hand im confident Jackson can do great things with us (please let's not turn this into a Jackson pissing fest)

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Hmmmm...Favre sure has stunk in the play-offs...

...we'll do MUCH better with Jackson. His playoff record is FAR superior...

Caine

dfosterf is offline Coach

Well, Brett was always a two-packer for me.

Almost identical to how "Two pack Stanhouse" caused Earl Weaver to react. (Baltimore Orioles).

Same effect.

Every time Stanhouse came in for relief, Earl would wind up smoking two packs of cigarettes in fear of what might happen.

That's how I was during Packer games with Brett at QB. I'd smoke two packs minimum during a single game, just waiting for the "Bad Brett" moment.

Aaron Rodgers has yet to take me over one pack, so there's my statisticical differentiation.

:P

I think the Vikings fans absolutely should have the "gift" of experiencing enough "Bad Brett" to make all of them also increase their cigarette intake and/or take up smoking.

He'll be back--you know it, I know it, maybe Barney doesn't know it, but he'll be back.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

The TC has a point and made a solid post, but really does not mean a lot. I am sure someone could make the same type of post to prove and then disprove that Favre is the greatest QB of all time. A lot of his numbers are simply because he has been doing it for so long, but that is why he is great. No one will ever be able to pass his start records. Some of those other numbers are just godly.
    We're bringing purple back.

V4L

Caine wrote:
    Hmmmm...Favre sure has stunk in the play-offs...

...we'll do MUCH better with Jackson. His playoff record is FAR superior...

Caine

Must you always mention Jackson?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast