Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Favre's arm benefiting from Peterson, Vikings' top

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    LOL, did you read the rest of my follow-on posts? B)
    I tried your links but neither one worked. What did you want to say?

Try typing something like this "Looks like there is no sign of wear in ol' #4's arm after all". It's a big step, but I think your man enough to do it.
    Try them again. Should work now. As to what did I want to say......I try not to comment on his Lordship and the Noodle. I usually don't have much good to say and what I do say usually isn't well recieved.
    That's probably just because you're wrong and refuse to admit it.

=Z=
    Perhaps just a case of noodle brain!
    LOL!

LNBM!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Try typing something like this "Looks like there is no sign of wear in ol' #4's arm after all". It's a big step, but I think your man enough to do it.
    Try them again. Should work now. As to what did I want to say......I try not to comment on his Lordship and the Noodle. I usually don't have much good to say and what I do say usually isn't well recieved.

=Z=
    LOL, again with the whole "Right/Wrong" thing.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

=Z=
    Perhaps just a case of noodle brain!
    LOL, don't encourage him.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

LOL, again with the whole "Right/Wrong" thing.
    Whatever, LNBM.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more
    So, lets talk about this pitch count.

I have a serious problem with this particular quote from the original Gosselin article:
    So Childress limited Favreís throws in practice and games
    Simply put, there has not been any suggestion or evidence that Favre's throws have been limited in games. Favre is #9 in the league in passing attempts at 358 (link), despite playing on a team that has usually been ahead and has a great running back. He also has individual games of 46, 48, and 50 pass attempts.

There is nothing that would indicate that the coaches have called a running play when they would have chosen a pass in order to preserve Favre's arm.

Now during practice, I still put forth that coaches always monitor and to an extent limit the amount of throws that a QB makes (or kicks for a kicker).

NFL coaches are hyper detail oriented.

Remember that meathead Tice? When he went and interviewed for another head coaching position, he had already planned every practice for the year down to the minute.

If the meathead was this precise, I have a hard time believing other coaches don't have a plan for how much action players will see during a week of practice, or don't monitor their players' activities in practice.

Some QBs may throw it a little more or a little less during the week than others. There is a difference between a young QB with limited experience and an older veteran. This is true both in terms of what their body can do and the number of reps they need to prepare themselves.

But coaches understand you can't just throw it (or kick it) until your arm falls off everyday. They plan either a certain or approximate number of plays for each practice.

I also think the term 'pitch count' is both new and a poor choice. It suggests to me that there is a hard limit, e.g. 30 throws and no more. Notice that the article that says Childress is monitoring Favre's throws also says that there are no limitations. Monitor or schedule might be better terms, because I suspect that what is really happening is there is a plan that is flexible based on what needs extra work that day or that week.

Point being, coaches always plan on how much a player practices. There is no indication that the age of Favre or Longwell is limiting their ability to be prepared for the game, or the coaches ability to conduct team practices. But the age and popularity is affecting the media interest in it.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Overlord wrote:
    Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more
    So, lets talk about this pitch count.

I have a serious problem with this particular quote from the original Gosselin article:
    So Childress limited Favreís throws in practice and games
    Simply put, there has not been any suggestion or evidence that Favre's throws have been limited in games. Favre is #9 in the league in passing attempts at 358 (link), despite playing on a team that has usually been ahead and has a great running back. He also has individual games of 46, 48, and 50 pass attempts.

There is nothing that would indicate that the coaches have called a running play when they would have chosen a pass in order to preserve Favre's arm.

Now during practice, I still put forth that coaches always monitor and to an extent limit the amount of throws that a QB makes (or kicks for a kicker).

NFL coaches are hyper detail oriented.

Remember that meathead Tice? When he went and interviewed for another head coaching position, he had already planned every practice for the year down to the minute.

If the meathead was this precise, I have a hard time believing other coaches don't have a plan for how much action players will see during a week of practice, or don't monitor their players' activities in practice.

Some QBs may throw it a little more or a little less during the week than others. There is a difference between a young QB with limited experience and an older veteran. This is true both in terms of what their body can do and the number of reps they need to prepare themselves.

But coaches understand you can't just throw it (or kick it) until your arm falls off everyday. They plan either a certain or approximate number of plays for each practice.

I also think the term 'pitch count' is both new and a poor choice. It suggests to me that there is a hard limit, e.g. 30 throws and no more. Notice that the article that says Childress is monitoring Favre's throws also says that there are no limitations. Monitor or schedule might be better terms, because I suspect that what is really happening is there is a plan that is flexible based on what needs extra work that day or that week.

Point being, coaches always plan on how much a player practices. There is no indication that the age of Favre or Longwell is limiting their ability to be prepared for the game, or the coaches ability to conduct team practices. But the age and popularity is affecting the media interest in it.
    I think you and I are on the same page on this one......

Makes me kindof wonder, if the noodle is on a pitch count and AD has less carries than he had last year at this point, but we are still high up there in TOP and Offensive Plays, someone has to be carrying the load.
    Just didn't compute in my brain that they could be limiting his throws as well as keeping AD's reps down.

Using the link Nodak gave me I did some simple math.....

AD
    2008 Week 12 242 Carries/1180 Yards
    2009 Week 12 230 Carries/1084 Yards

2008 Week 12 248/358 Completions/Attempts 2874 Yards
    2009 Week 12 245/347 Completions/Attempts 2461 Yards
    Not that significant of a delta IMHO to show that there is any such thing.

And yet, we see all kindsof articles about it (to include quotes). A quick use of Google with the words Favre Pitchcount will get you double digit pages of it.

Chilly puts Favre on a pitch count

Here's the pitch: Vikings adopt baseball philosophy for Favre's arm

Gunslinger-...-...-to-game-manager-

If it isn't true, then I must be right about the blather and drivel that spews forth from the media hacks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123