Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Favre Wants a Simplified PLaybook

http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vikings/09000d5d81c60ebb/Favre-wants-a-simplified-playbook?module=HP_video

Some things to note:
    We're gonna run the Wishbone.
    Favre, Bevell and Rogers sat down and went through the O and went over what works and what they need to change
    They are NOW going to be playing to Favre's strengths.

He is really making Childress look like an idiot.

Also, interesting:

Favre: "We have to be good at what we do. I always said, if I were a coach.... Which will never happen... I would be very simple, and be more.. They have to stop what we do.

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Favre Wants a Simplified PLaybook

Fascinating.

Thanks.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vikings/09000d5d81c60ebb/Favre-wants-a-simplified-playbook?module=HP_video

Some things to note:
    Favre, Bevell and Rogers sat down and went through the O and went over what works and what they need to change

Also, interesting:

Favre: "We have to be good at what we do. I always said, if I were a coach.... Which will never happen... I would be very simple, and be more.. They have to stop what we do.
    Not sure if you were referring to the wishbone part to note it as a joke or not, but we are certainly not running the wishbone. Definitely, definitely not.

Maybe we could do it with Webb, Peterson, Gerhart, and Harvin in the backfield for a couple of snaps. That would be fun.

But I like that last quote a lot. "We have to be good at what we do."

I'd also like to see a lot more traditional running plays with 3 receivers on the field. Don't make Tahi guess what running lane Peterson is going to hit in a zone play. Power run blocking, stuff you learn in peewee ball. I just wish we had Herrera to pull.

We are still super talented on offense, let these guys get out there and do their thing.

Blog Entries

Mr Anderson wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

Some things to note:

Also, interesting:

Not sure if you were referring to the wishbone part to note it as a joke or not, but we are certainly not running the wishbone. Definitely, definitely not.
    Why not? Other teams run the full house formation, which is usually two fullbacks and a TB, why not the WB, if not just for a couple plays.

Rice ....X..X..O..X..X..Shank
    ..............Favre

..............Sauce
    ..........AD......Gerhart

try a counter or just power run, might not work, but it might.

Maybe we could do it with Webb, Peterson, Gerhart, and Harvin in the backfield for a couple of snaps. That would be fun.
    Basically an elaborate Wildcat?

But I like that last quote a lot. "We have to be good at what we do."

I'd also like to see a lot more traditional running plays with 3 receivers on the field. Don't make Tahi guess what running lane Peterson is going to hit in a zone play. Power run blocking, stuff you learn in peewee ball. I just wish we had Herrera to pull.

We are still super talented on offense, let these guys get out there and do their thing.
    Yup, but I agree with what Favre says at the end, that we try to do too much, and need to go back to the basics.

I like the idea of 3 wide run plays. Peterson runs best in space, not when he's being hit behind the line, so spread them out with 3 wide, and run some off tackle.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

Some things to note:

Also, interesting:

Why not? Other teams run the full house formation, which is usually two fullbacks and a TB, why not the WB, if not just for a couple plays.

Rice ....X..X..O..X..X..Shank
    ..............Favre

..............Sauce
    ..........AD......Gerhart

try a counter or just power run, might not work, but it might.
    Favre said it as a joke. The wishbone a triple option scheme.

We could run the wishbone as a formation once in a while like any other formation, but we're never going to run "the wishbone" offense like Favre jokingly suggested.

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

The guy has a great sense of humor as well as a lot of wisdom.

Things could actually get better.

We are starting to run into good teams that have as many injuries as we do.

That's gotta be a plus in giving us a fighting chance.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

Blog Entries

Mr Anderson wrote:
    We could run the wishbone as a formation once in a while like any other formation, but we're never going to run "the wishbone" offense like Favre jokingly suggested.
    All I was saying. No way we go with the Wishbone Offense, but a couple plays.

Oh yeah, well I want two tickets to paradise! HA!

A little Eddie Money reference to kick off the holiday weekend!

(and lotsa exclamation points)

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Peterson runs best in space, not when he's being hit behind the line
    I think that goes for all running backs :P

On a more serious note: I would like to see more of Adrian Peterson in the back-field without a fullback for several reasons.

1. Peterson runs better without a fullback. I think there's some statistics on that somewhere, but I don't know where to find it.

2. Peterson prefers to run without a fullback in front of him. Again, I don't have the quote, but I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere. (I'm too lazy to look up anything today :P )

3. Tahi sucks! That's something I don't need to search for.

4. Many times when Peterson is the single back, The Vikes use a 2 tight ends formation. That means Jimmy Kleinsasser instead of Tahi. I'd MUCH rather have arguably the best run-blocking TE than an adequate fullback.

By the way.
    Talking about players in the backfield. I saw Percy Harvin running plenty of fake reverses against the Packers and it worked pretty well. The other teams know that Percy is dangerous on reverses, and for good reasons. I think he has averaged almost 10 yards on his reverses. I hope we see more plays which involves Percy in the backfield one way or another.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

To talk about the making it simple and be good at what you do. My basketball coach in college always said we could give the other team our offensive plays, because we we know what we are doing better than the opposition, we will do it fundamentally right, and we will be better than them.

At first, I thought he was off his rocker, but as things were put into place, and the big picture was coming together, you could see some truth in that.

Be fundamentally solid at what you do, and do it well, and you are way ahead of the battle.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast