Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Favre vs. Moss and the Media

And, no offense, packman, I'm going to at least partially disagree with you.

Yeah, Moss did a lot of dumb, disrespectful things early on, and they continue to haunt him. I don't think anyone can argue with that.

But (trying to remember if you're old enough to remember the Sharpe days), Sterling really did NOTHING to cause troubles, other than catch 100+ passes a season, but because he refused to make himself available to the media, he was made out regularly to be a malcontent.

Now, obviously, this does double with Moss, because he has a longer history than Sharpe ever did, but I think his refusal to speak to the media is what continues that reputation. The NFL is always looking to present their poster boys in a positive light, and the media will go right along with it, as long as they are getting their love.

Moss SHOULD be a poster boy (talent-wise and popularity-wise), but isn't.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    And, no offense, packman, I'm going to at least partially disagree with you.

Yeah, Moss did a lot of dumb, disrespectful things early on, and they continue to haunt him. I don't think anyone can argue with that.

But (trying to remember if you're old enough to remember the Sharpe days), Sterling really did NOTHING to cause troubles, other than catch 100+ passes a season, but because he refused to make himself available to the media, he was made out regularly to be a malcontent.

Now, obviously, this does double with Moss, because he has a longer history than Sharpe ever did, but I think his refusal to speak to the media is what continues that reputation. The NFL is always looking to present their poster boys in a positive light, and the media will go right along with it, as long as they are getting their love.

Moss SHOULD be a poster boy (talent-wise and popularity-wise), but isn't.
    Agreed. Moss has screwed up in the past, but in the last 2 years he's simply shut up and played. If the writers don't like that...I couldn't care less.

Someone asked about the media reaction to Favre's vicodin binge - here in Wisconsin, he was hailed as "brave" for owning up, and he was praised and lauded over the whole affair. Why? Because, as Los points out, favre talks to the dickheads...errr....media.

Caine

vikesgirl36 is offline Rookie

My thoughts...Farve has been around alot longer then Moss. He is more mature and has a different personality. Who can bame Moss for not wanting to talk to the media. They would just miscontrue his words anyway. To bad the pack has never had a Moss. Except in their enzone.

Just a bump to show how well the media has responded to Chad Pennington. Even if Pennington is a bit full of himself and full of some immature bluster, he's probably right. But, look at the media....they're already painting him as an idiot, just because of their own egos.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Kleinsasser40 is offline Coordinator

I disagree. As Chad Pennington talked to the media on friday, the players should not have to talk to the media or explain their lives to them. It is their privelege to have that job just like it is every NFL player's privelege. What happens in each player's head or in their personal life is their own business. If they want to talk then they will talk but if they don't want to talk don't look down up on them. As I said in previous posts, publicity should be based on performance. Not likeability, TV ratings, or even availibility for comments. I could honestly care less what is happening in Brett's life, it is not relevant. I have no problem with him tlaking to his close teammates or friends about it, I encourage it, but I hate seeing him crying to the media. Although it sounds very insensitive, it is not their job to cover and advertise Brett's personal life. It is their job to tell me who is doing well and to show me their ability via clips and examples.

If i wanted to hear about all that I would watch Lifetime. Right now in his career Moss is better than Favre (again, not talking about the past) therefore he should get at least equal the amount of coverage Favre gets.

Favre is an open person, but as Pennington putit, not all players are always open to comment or question. Persoalities are all different, and just because Pennington or Moss are less media friendly should not mean less media time. Going back to the example of the media being the kid with the football. The kid with the ball would not tell the best players to take a seat and not play. They would have the good player on their team because of their ability, and thats how it should be. We watch them to hear about the ability of the players, and that's what they should cover, unbias.
    [img:2264cdc124]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/vikesklein.jpg[/img:2264cdc124]

"packmanxxxi" wrote:
    Maybe if Moss would own up to what he did like Favre did he would be considered more of a stand-up charachter. Both players had troubles. Favre got help, admitted it, and saught it. Moss needed/needs help and plays it off. How can you overblow running over a cop? Come on. Moss chooses his behavior. Act good, and theres nothing to write about...
    In regards to the comments not admitting to his faults. No, he has not said much in regards to his actions, but he is making up for it through his immense maturity he has shown the world in the last year, he has made an unbelieveable change. He is using his positive attitude and his great playing ability to help make up for it.
    [img:2264cdc124]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/vikesklein.jpg[/img:2264cdc124]

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Did you see the CHad Pennington interview? He said the same thing...He got up their and told them off....They deserved it too!!!

My point exactly, the sports media should cover what they are supposed to and not judge what they say about a player based on how they act towards the media.

I agree with you Kleinny, it should be unbiased, but its not.

Part of it is ESPN's fault. They've pioneered sportswriting and journalism as being more the entertainment than the sport itself. Then came FOX and all the others. Max Kellerman is the epitome of the journalist trying to be the show, rather than reporting on it.

Frankly, I think Pennington was right. If I wanted, I could probably become a sportwriter. But, I could never become a starting NFL quarterback (unless I played for the Bears). Like any person in any job, even if you're working at the 7/11, you build up some pompous attitude, if not paranoia, about how good of a job you do. Journalists are no exception.

The NFL players are the athletes. It shouldn't be up to the media to build these people up or break them down, especially based on how they are treated as journalists. They report, we make the judgements.

But, it doesn't happen that way. You watch...Pennington is either going to have to apologize, or he's going to leave New York altogether.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12