Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Favre vs. Moss and the Media

A lot of you PPers have complained (perhaps justifiably so) about the inordinate amount of positive press Favre gets vs. Moss. I thought about this last week when one of the announcers of the Packer game was fawning on Favre, and they mentioned something...that Favre ALWAYS makes himself available for the media. Even Dick Enberg mentioned as he is going to do the Jacksonville game this Sunday, the first thing he plans to do is interview Favre.

Now, I'm not a fan of most media types. Most sports media types are like the kid who owned the football when everyone was in fourth grade, and you had to be nice to him or he'd take the ball and go home. This kid grew up, couldn't play himself, so he went into sportswriting and kept up the attitude.

Now, Moss doesn't speak to the media. One of our biggest media bitches in GB is Chris Havel, who fawns all over Favre because he helps him write his books, but as soon as any other player refuses an interview to him, he slanders him all over the paper the next day.

Havel is one of the same ones who, in the early 90's, made sure to put an anti-Sterling Sharpe bite into literally every article he wrote, whether it was about him or not. Sometimes, he'd jab at Sharpe even if he wasn't writing about the PACKERS at all.

In other words, the media feel they have some sort of power, that if the layer doesn't "play their game" and give the sportswriter some love, then they will "get even" by not giving them positive press.

It's hugely unfair, immature, and frankly, a black eye on what should be repsonsible journalism.

But, this being the way it is, Favre's willingness to talk to the press and be the lightning rod of the team "pays off" in the press he gets and the acolades you all hate.

Moss, who doesn't talk to the media, gets a little bit of that "so I'm not good enough to talk to, so you're not good enough to write about" attitude.

Do I care? Nah. I loved Sterling Sharpe his whole career, just like you guys will love Moss. But, when some of the elder statesmen who "represent" the NFL (like Favre, Ray Lewis, Emmitt Smith, and Jerry Rice) leave the game, it will be Moss's turn to carry the torch in the eyes of the media.

It will be interesting to see what road he chooses then.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Very insightful post, Los. I pretty much agree with everything you said. One thing I have always hated about Moss is his refusal to talk to the media when either the lights aren't shining on him or when he's under scrutiny for something negative he's done. Granted, perhaps a lot of players would react the same way when in the same situation, but there have been many times after tough losses when a lot of Viking players have made themselves available to the cameras, even right after the game. One thing I do admire about Favre is his handling of his "celebrity" in the eyes of the media. I think he's a first-class act off the field, and a model which a lot of younger NFL players, and Moss, should attain to.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Moss will never like the media and i back him, i dont blaim him. They take stories like the meter maid lady and make huge deals out of, it really wasnt that big of an incident but look how over blown it got, sh*t first it was he ran her over going 40 miles an hour. He dont trust the media, they take his words, twist them into somthing he didnt mean. I dont blaim him one bit. The vikings are not a media loved team and i like that, the fact that moss doesnt want to be all over the television is fine with me, as long as he produces every week on the field. I think thats all he cares about. Moss will not take the torch we can leave that to Mcrab and TO.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Can you really blame moss for not wanting to talk to the media? As a WR he gets slammed for everything he does, maybe justifiably so but the media never dropped those things. Hell people are still claiming Moss "Only plays when he wants to" and hit cops with cars or squirts refs with bottles. Stuf that happened at least 2 years ago. I am too young to recall Farves vicodin days, but was he really slammed for that shady chapter in his life?

I don't know about you guys but I think Moss has done alot of interviews and press conferences this year. hell I was beginning to forget what he sounded like until I heard him before Monday night football on week 2.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Not to mention his weed somoking, god almight i here people talking about that sh*t all the time, that was 7 YEARS ago.

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

I don't know who'd wanna deal with the media in the first place when they propose questions such as "so what happened out there today?" when it's obvious what happened, whatever that was. Or when they ask who your starting QB is when you've stated who already. Or "how tough was today's loss" after a game that had great significance.. etc etc.

Well put LA, Hats off to ya...
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

pep should take over the media and keep it away from moss. he is the QB anyway. Favre is the QB, unless someone else on the team is outspoken that s who the media will flock to anyway. anytime someone talks about the media fielding questions they do, i always think of ryan leaf. what a media darling there. it didnt take long to run him out of the league. as a person, its not hard to like the hilljack from kiln......people can relate to favre, he's easy going...blah, blah.....but we dont like him much here........we will save the lovefest for favre for when he retires....

Lyssabell is offline Training Camp

It's probably best for Moss to stay away from the media. When you think about it, talking to some random sportswriter isn't helping his game at all. If anything it cold make things worse. As an aspiring journalist I know that we're supposed to pick up on the little things and turn it into a great big ordeal.

For example, lets say Favre is being interviewed right after a game and the interview is going well, but at some point he suddenly passes out because he hasn't eaten anything in a while. The press will make it seem like some "drug problem".
    I Know That When I See You I m Going To Die
    12/24/04 @ the Dome!

packmanxxxi is offline Asst. Coach

Maybe if Moss would own up to what he did like Favre did he would be considered more of a stand-up charachter. Both players had troubles. Favre got help, admitted it, and saught it. Moss needed/needs help and plays it off. How can you overblow running over a cop? Come on. Moss chooses his behavior. Act good, and theres nothing to write about...
    3 Straight Division Champs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast