Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    TEXPACK is offline Pro-Bowler

Favre--Few QBs have ever achieved more

Brett Favre insists that records mean nothing to him. Never have, never will. Entering his 13th season in Green Bay, QB Brett Favre has a handful of all-time NFL passing records within his sight.

That very well might be the case. But every year, Favre approaches territory where few others have gone. And 2004 will be no different.

Here's a look at where the sure-fire Hall of Famer sits in several categories heading into this season. And a projection of what's needed to move to the head of the class in each.

Touchdown passes
    This is perhaps the most hallowed of the quarterbacking records. And by passing Fran Tarkenton last year, Dan Marino remains the last hurdle for Favre to clear.

Favre led the NFL in touchdown passes for the fourth time in his career last season by throwing 32 and moved into second place on the all-time list with 346. Marino's record of 420 appears daunting, but it's certainly within Favre's reach.

During his 12-year run as Green Bay's starting quarterback, which has included a remarkable 189 consecutive starts, Favre has averaged 28.83 touchdown passes per season. If Favre continued at that pace, he would need to play 42 games to catch Marino, meaning he'd do so in the 10th game of the 2006 season.

If Favre matched his prowess of last year, though, where he averaged 2.0 touchdown passes per game, he'd need 37 games to catch Marino. That means he'd do so in Green Bay's fifth game of the 2006 season.

Favre, who has hinted at retirement for two seasons now, will turn 35 on Oct. 10. So barring injury or an exit from the game, Favre projects to catch Marino when he's 37.

"This guy hasn't lost a thing," Packers right guard Marco Rivera said of Favre. "He can play that long, easy. And if he wants to play longer, he should. It's really just up to him how long he's going to go."

Passing yards
    Favre sits in fifth place at 45,646 and his odds of catching Marino (61,361) for the all-time mark appear slim. But moving up to second, a spot held by John Elway (51,475), certainly seems doable.

Favre has averaged 3,803.83 passing yards per season in Green Bay. At that rate, he'd need a little more than four seasons to catch Marino. That would come in the third game of the 2008 season, when Favre would be nearing his 39th birthday.

If Favre matched his career pace, though, he'd pass Fran Tarkenton (47,003) for fourth place and Warren Moon (49,325) for third this year. And if Favre could maintain his lifetime average, he'd pass Elway during the ninth game of the 2005 season.

What makes this category tough to predict, though, is Favre's passing yardage in 2003 (3,361 yards) was his lowest total since the 1993 season. Green Bay ran the ball 51.7% of the time a year ago, its highest figure since 1979. Was that total because Ahman Green and the offensive line had become dominant, or because Favre was nursing a broken thumb on his throwing hand?

If Favre continues at his pace from 2003, though, he wouldn't pass Marino until the 11th game of the 2008 season. And he wouldn't pass Elway for second until the 12th game of the 2005 season.

Victories
    Favre has 125 career victories, tied for third with Tarkenton on the all-time list for starting quarterbacks. Elway is first (148) and Marino second (147).

The Packers would need to go 23-9 over the next two seasons for Favre to tie Elway and 22-10 for him to tie Marino. Green Bay has averaged 10.5 victories per season during Favre's 12 years in Green Bay, and if the Packers continued at that pace, Favre would pass both Elway and Marino early in the 2006 season.

Career completions
    Favre sits fourth in career completions with 3,960, just 28 back of Warren Moon (3,988) for third. Favre has averaged 330 completions per season, and if he maintains that rate, he'd catch Elway (4,123) for second in the eighth game this season.

But catching Marino (4,967) for the top spot wouldn't happen until the first game of the 2007 season, shortly before Favre's 38th birthday. Favre's completions also dipped to 308 last year, and if he continued at that rate, he wouldn't pass Marino until the fifth game of the 2007 season.

Career passing attempts
    Favre is in fifth place with 6,464 and trails Marino (8,358), Elway (7,250), Moon (6,823) and Tarkenton (6,467). Favre's career average for attempts is 538.66 per season, but that figure plummeted to 471 a year ago.

Should Favre match his career mark of 33.66 attempts per game, he would pass Marino during the ninth game of the 2007 season. If Favre's average attempts remain at 29.44 like last year's total, he wouldn't catch Marino until the first game of the 2008 season.

Miscellaneous
    Favre's streak of 189 consecutive starts by a quarterback blows away runner-up Ron Jaworski's old mark of 116. Favre's streak is likely safe for years to come, but Indianapolis' Peyton Manning (96) hasn't missed a start in six seasons and could someday challenge Favre's remarkable run.

Favre topped 30 touchdown passes for the seventh time in his career last season, easily beating runner-up Marino (four) for first place in this category.

Favre is tied with Johnny Unitas, Lenny Dawson and Steve Young for the most seasons leading the league in TD passes (four).

Favre has thrown for at least 3,000 yards in 12 consecutive seasons, the most in league history. Marino is second with nine.

Favre has thrown for 3,000 yards 12 times, one back of Marino (13) and tied with Elway for second.

Favre's career record when the game-time temperature is 34 degrees or less is 29-0 in the regular season and 35-2 overall. His second loss came last year, when the Packers fell to Philadelphia in the playoffs.

Playoffs
    Favre passed Marino a year ago and now holds first place in most consecutive post-season games with a TD pass (15).

Favre's 33 post-season touchdown passes rank second all-time, behind only Joe Montana (45).

Favre's 4,686 post-season passing yards rank third, behind Montana (5,772) and Elway (4,964).
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

aaaaaannnnnd......
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

Congratulations Tex! :king: you wasted three minutes of my life. :sleepy4:

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Blah Blah Blah the only thing that matters is whats gonna happen this year i could care less about what he's done i didnt even read it just the first pharagragh, what hes done in the past cant help him win this year and thats all that matters.

dart18 is offline Asst. Coach

was that really necessary mr tex, i mean really, keep it short, especially when it is about the Green Bay God that you all look up to
    Sometimes I like to think there is more to life than being you know. . . really really good looking.
    -Derrick Zoolander

superior230bartime is offline Pro-Bowler

"dart18" wrote:
    was that really necessary mr tex, i mean really, keep it short, especially when it is about the Green Bay God that you all look up to
    You guys want something shorter to read? Maybe someone could put together an article about Chris Hovan's accomplishments.
    purplepride.org: Home of Disillusioned Vikings Fans World-wide

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

The difference is, Tarkenton set all those records before the 5 yard bump rule and the other rules that made the the NFL more passer friendly. If he had played under modern rules Marino and Favre would still be trying to catch him.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

TEXPACK is offline Pro-Bowler

SD,

Anything is possible. Fran Tarkenton was a great QB possibly the greatest in his era? i don't dispute that one iota. One thing you forget Favre isn't finished yet. Let's see who is where after 4 more years!

Secondly, isn't that the same argument you make the same as the Green bay Packers fans make about their history and glorious past?

All you can be is CHAMPIONS! It means you are THE BEST.

The Green Bay Packers have achieved just that 12 times the Vikings Zero. Sorry the truth hurts.

Brett Favre is a first ballot HOF QB enjoy his greatness it doesn't come around that often.

If Moss has another 3 great years the Vikings can talk about him the same way otherwise I don't see anybody on your team worth bragging about.
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Yeah, I'm not taking anything away from Starr, Hornung, McGee and the Packer team of the 1960's. I'm just saying there is a huge difference between the passing game that Favre, Marino and Montana played under and the one that Tarkenton, Terry Bradshaw, and Johnny Unitas played under.

I would argue that those guys had it a little tougher and watching games from that era I think they and their receivers got hit a lot harder. Guys like Jack Lambert and Dick Butkus used to plow over receivers as they came across the field. Players can't do that anymore because of the rules. And how many defensive lines like the Steel Curtain, Fearsome Foursome, Purple People Eaters, and Doomsday Defense do we really see today that punish QBs down after down? The bottom line is it was harder for a QB to set those kinds of records back then, and if Tarkenton and Foreman had played under today's rules, I just think it is more than likely they would still hold all the records.

Now Favre is a great QB I have never said he wasn't. And I do think he is tougher than most QBs that play today. But I think you just have to remember the changes in the passing game between now and 25 years ago. And I don't think Tarkenton gets the respect he deserves because just like Marino he never won a Super Bowl.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

I bet if Moss retired right now, he would make the HOF. if he keeps at this pace, its a definate! Favre has somthing that moss doesn't have (other than a medicine cabinate full of pain killers) Favre has the ability to inspire his team and make them win. When a vikings player can do that to our team, we will win a SB! Vikes have the talent, they don't have the heart!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast