Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Favre to dish out his autograph for $400

He needs that. What if he loses his job in camp?
    We're bringing purple back.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Gotta pay for that surgery somehow.

Texas Viking is offline Starter

Tell you what, for $50 plus shipping send anything to me and Iíll get whoever you want to autograph it Ďwinkí. Iíll even print out a certificate of authenticity.

Seriously though, I used to collect autographs and learned a lot about the industry. Not saying this is a scam by any means, but I can buy a jersey for $40.00 and forge a signature and next to your $500 one youíd never know the difference. The whole sports autograph business is insane.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Texas Viking wrote:
    Tell you what, for $50 plus shipping send anything to me and Iíll get whoever you want to autograph it Ďwinkí. Iíll even print out a certificate of authenticity.

Seriously though, I used to collect autographs and learned a lot about the industry. Not saying this is a scam by any means, but I can buy a jersey for $40.00 and forge a signature and next to your $500 one youíd never know the difference. The whole sports autograph business is insane.
    This is true and it is kind of sad. Only autographs I trust are the ones I get myself.
    We're bringing purple back.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

#4kicksA$$ wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:
    ultravikingfan wrote:
    Come on Singer, do you think it all goes to Favre? NO! Most goes to Radtke.

A lot of athletes do this...so why not make a thread for all of them that do this?

The reason autographs are so much now is because of ebay and all the fakes out there. I used to collect them, but gave it up because it is way too costly.

And maybe he gives his portion to charity? We do not know what he is going to do with it.

Geez, the Favre hate still runs strong.

If you came out of your cave just to post this, go back.
    a lot of athletes charge $400 for their autograph? I did not know that.

sooooo, it's ok because it is the great Farvini.
    Sooooo,since your trashing him now you won't be one of those cheering for him come the season. :unsure:
    Don't confuse me disliking the fact that superstars charge an exuberant amount of money for their autographs as also hate for the players themselves. Two separate issues.

Anyone here can tell you I was adamant about not wanting Favre here last year because I didn't think he could get the job done & last all season long.

He proved me wrong, I ate crow & I have no problem with him returning. He has my full support. I'm not going to be sniffing his jock over it, running to the store to buy his jersey or claiming he can do no wrong, like many of the Favre crotch-sniffers here. Some tend to go way overboard on their man-love for Favre.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ultravikingfan wrote:
    Come on Singer, do you think it all goes to Favre? NO! Most goes to Radtke.

A lot of athletes do this...so why not make a thread for all of them that do this?

The reason autographs are so much now is because of ebay and all the fakes out there. I used to collect them, but gave it up because it is way too costly.

And maybe he gives his portion to charity? We do not know what he is going to do with it.

Geez, the Favre hate still runs strong.

Again, I don't hate Favre. I hate some of the things he does, but that does not equate to full blown hate for the man which many here interpret it as. I've said it before, I don't mind him coming back at all. He proved me wrong last year & I think & hope he can do it again this year.

The reason I didn't post a thread about all atheletes who do this, is because the article wasn't about them.

Any athelete that snubs giving kids or their fans autographs, but will sell them for buku bucks, I'll hate that about them.

Chuck Foreman, a well-known & respected ex-Viking, does charge for his autograph, but it's a very modest price & most of that, if not all, goes to charity. I welcome that from an athelete as well as those who at training camp, after ball games or at public events, take the time to show their appreciation to his fans & sign a few autographs.

I'll take Bud Grants autograph over Favre's anyday of the week & when Bud signed my helmet, he signed it for free & even took a moment to exchange a few words with me. Top-notch in every sense of the word.

ultravikingfan wrote:
    Shame on you for discouraging anyone from posting here, purely because their opinion differs from yours.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I have no problem with it. I'm guessing most of these will be purchased by art dealers and the like. They will likely sell the products in their stores and online for a hefty profit.

Texas Viking is offline Starter

I have all the respect for Brett as an athlete and I hope he comes back for another year with us, but I do recognize he is one heck of a prima donna. Of course, I guess heís earned that right from his accomplishments but still I canít respect that kind of attitude. He loves to milk drama for all its worth, carries a chip on his shoulder larger than Mount Everest and seems like the kind of guy that canít get over a grudge.

Back to the autographs, I donít think those prices are unusual when being sponsored by a company, especially with the biggest name in football. They can charge top price for his scribble. But, I also read somewhere that Brett always charges for autographs, regardless.

Being the superstar celebrity he is, Iím sure he gets thousands of autographs requests from people and it can be overwhelming. But if he avoids signing anything like after a game when walking past fans thatís just showing an overly conceeded attitude.

I love Brett the athlete, but I do have some issues with Brett the man.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Texas Viking wrote:
    I have all the respect for Brett as an athlete and I hope he comes back for another year with us, but I do recognize he is one heck of a prima donna. Of course, I guess heís earned that right from his accomplishments but still I canít respect that kind of attitude. He loves to milk drama for all its worth, carries a chip on his shoulder larger than Mount Everest and seems like the kind of guy that canít get over a grudge.

Back to the autographs, I donít think those prices are unusual when being sponsored by a company, especially with the biggest name in football. They can charge top price for his scribble. But, I also read somewhere that Brett always charges for autographs, regardless.

Being the superstar celebrity he is, Iím sure he gets thousands of autographs requests from people and it can be overwhelming. But if he avoids signing anything like after a game when walking past fans thatís just showing an overly conceeded attitude.

I love Brett the athlete, but I do have some issues with Brett the man.
    I'm sure over the years Brett has signed a few autographs. And I'm sure a few of those have shown up in pro shops and ebay for big bucks.
    The same dealers who are willing to spend $400 for an autograph will also be the first in line to get one for free.
    I believe Michael Jordan also refuses to sign autographs, for this very reason(and kids being trampled by adults seeking autographs).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast