Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: re: who voted for Jerry Burns?

"shockzilla" wrote:
    I did - only because he made my time watching the Vikings more memorable, and I don't remember the Vikes' early years with Bud Grant (I only became a huge fan about 1974, when I was 10. ).
    Shockzilla maybe I tell my age but BUD was the best ever, :cheers: he took what Van Brocklin started and created such a team, :sunny: the book the purple people eaters explains the years of the Black and Blue division and LA in all fairness that is when the cheese heads / slackers were at their best with what his name Lambaridie now there was a another great coach as well BUT not as good as BUD :thumbleft: but close
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Favorite Vikings head coach

I had to vote for Denny Green. I never really had a huge problem with Denny. He never got us over the hump (super bowl championship) but what other team made the playoffs for 8 out or 9 years or whatever his run was beofre his last season. We were spoiled with all of the playoff berths that Denny helped bring us. I'm sure Bud Grant was a much better coach, but he was way before my time. I remember the tail end of Jerry Burns' career and I remember always thinking to myself "man he is old and wrinkly." I have no problems with Tice but he is still learning how to be a head coach. I think eventually he'll be my favorite coach, that is if Red gives him a chance after his contract is up. I guess we'll see!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I have to go with Old Stoney Face Grant, maybe more because he reminds me of the old style of football. He is one of the most popular people in Minnesota, even though the team has an 0-4 record in SBs with him, and has the respect of all. I just hope that he gets the see the Vikes get that first SB win and that he is the first to be presented with a ring by the team for services rendered.

Les Steckel - nuff has been said about by many fans about him !

Jerry Burns was ok but we never seemed to really excite the fans when he was coach despite his having a fair record.

Denny Green - I never really had a problem with him til his latter years with the team. We did have a good record for reaching the playoffs but don't forget that a lot of those years were then one game and out. He never seemed to get the team prepared to win the games when they really mattered - for example in the 2000 season one more win in our final four games would have wrapped up homefield advantage for the postseason. We didn't get the win and consequently ended up at the Giants for the NFCC game when we got that far.

Tice - I like and could well end up being immortalised if he is the coach that finally gets that first SB win. He's honest and open, sometimes too much for his own good, but I like that in the guy and the players like playing for him.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

In 2000 though, our last four games were all pretty tough games if I am remembering correctly. At Indy, vs GB and I don't remember the other two. Granted winning one of four shouldn't be too tough, but when you are playing other teams that are fighting for a playoff spot just as hard as you are it does make things tough, especially when they are all back to back like that. I'm not making excuses for Denny, but it was a tough stretch of games!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

re: favorite Vikings coach

SDVike:

You are absolutely correct when you said that about taking down the 49'ers - I think the Purple pulled the biggest upset in their history that game. If I remember correctly, the 49'ers were big favorites, and our boys went in there and throttled them. The final score (37-24?) was no indication of how it was not even close! AC had the game of his career that day, and if it weren't for that damn Darrin Nelson dropping that pass on the goalline, we'd have been in our 5th Super Bowl!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

NEvikingsfan90 is offline Waterboy

bud and the west coast all the way

Big Daddy is offline Starter

This shouldn't even be a question, Grant all the way. Maybe in time Tice but he has a long road ahead of him before that happens.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel it s warmth!

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Re: re: favorite Vikings coach

"shockzilla" wrote:
    SDVike:

You are absolutely correct when you said that about taking down the 49'ers - I think the Purple pulled the biggest upset in their history that game. If I remember correctly, the 49'ers were big favorites, and our boys went in there and throttled them. The final score (37-24?) was no indication of how it was not even close! AC had the game of his career that day, and if it weren't for that damn Darrin Nelson dropping that pass on the goalline, we'd have been in our 5th Super Bowl!
    Yeah the Vikes had an ok season but just went crazy in the playoffs that year. And they played on the road the whole time I think. They killed the Saints and then held on to the SF offense. They sacked Montana four times and picked him off twice!!! It was so awesome. Seeing it end at the NFC championship was disappointing though.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

I am so glad I wasn't alive for that NFC championship game (well I was probably alive but too young to remember, when was it 1987?). That game along with the 1998 game and the 2000 game. That is just too much heartbreak!!

BigEasyViking is offline Coordinator

Well since I wasn't alive during the Bud Grant era, I had to vote for Denny. We had many great years under him. Tice is gaining some serious ground though.
    God Bless America, & the MINNESOTA VIKINGS!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast