Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Farwell happy to still be a Viking

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I bet he is happy.
    If I was him I would be all aglow and do anything that was asked of me.
    All the STeamers and a one-year, $1.475 million contract doesn't quite equate to long term job stability IMHO.

Marrdro silently waits for the CSA'rs to come out.
    :
    Not sure what you are trying to say?
    1 year deal doesn't sound good to you? If I were a player I would look at that as a huge opportunity, prove myself for 1 year and then become a free agent and get a bigger contract. Not to mention 1.475 should be just about enough to pay for early retirement.
    1 year contract vs a 6 year contract.
    :
    As a contractor I like the latter alot more than the first but am happy to have the first, at least until I can find the latter.
    JK
    ;D

His goal this year was to get his payday. That didn't happen.
    My guess is he won't get that chance again.
    With all the additions (FA/Draft) that can help, guys with short term contracts are just that. Short term solutions.

Alls I'm saying.
    All depends on how he plays, if he plays well he will make more money long term than if he had signed long term this year. Should be good for the Vikings this year as he will be forced to play for his next contract, pushing himself to be the best player he can be.
    I disagree.
    I think it is going to be extremely difficult for him to improve upon his 2007 campaign..at least significantly.
    The contracts being offered to him last year were for the 2007 performance (obviously).
    He's not getting a chance of any significant play time at LB so he's going to have to do something extremely special to get a big long term contract.
    Other than the rising costs each year in player contracts I don't see his offer next year being much higher than the ones he received going into this season.
    He was a special teams ace, teams know what they are getting.
    If he could get a shot at proving he can play LB for a team, then that would open up his value considerably.
    IMO he should have went wherever he had the best shot at playing defense since that is where the money is at (opposed to ST).
    Not trying to be disagreeable here, just trying to add another piece to what is becoming a very good discussion.....

Didn't he try that this year with no success?
    By hanging it out there this year looking for that starting job, with no success, doesn't that equate to what his talent level really is?

A guy who can run down on ST's and make a tackle.
    Nothing special there if you ask me.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=51649.msg940267#msg940267 date=1240836485]
    I bet he is happy.
    All the STeamers and a one-year, $1.475 million contract doesn't quite equate to long term job stability IMHO.

:
    1 year deal doesn't sound good to you? If I were a player I would look at that as a huge opportunity, prove myself for 1 year and then become a free agent and get a bigger contract. Not to mention 1.475 should be just about enough to pay for early retirement.
    :
    As a contractor I like the latter alot more than the first but am happy to have the first, at least until I can find the latter.
    JK
    ;D

With all the additions (FA/Draft) that can help, guys with short term contracts are just that. Short term solutions.

Alls I'm saying.
    All depends on how he plays, if he plays well he will make more money long term than if he had signed long term this year. Should be good for the Vikings this year as he will be forced to play for his next contract, pushing himself to be the best player he can be.
    I disagree.
    I think it is going to be extremely difficult for him to improve upon his 2007 campaign..at least significantly.
    The contracts being offered to him last year were for the 2007 performance (obviously).
    He's not getting a chance of any significant play time at LB so he's going to have to do something extremely special to get a big long term contract.
    Other than the rising costs each year in player contracts I don't see his offer next year being much higher than the ones he received going into this season.
    If he could get a shot at proving he can play LB for a team, then that would open up his value considerably.
    IMO he should have went wherever he had the best shot at playing defense since that is where the money is at (opposed to ST).
    Not trying to be disagreeable here, just trying to add another piece to what is becoming a very good discussion.....

By hanging it out there this year looking for that starting job, with no success, doesn't that equate to what his talent level really is?

[/quote]

I think you are correct in that he did try to do that this season.
    He's a valuable STer, and apparently other NFL teams didn't feel he was cut to play on their D.

My point was simply that he isn't going to be able to play better than in 07, and therefore he isn't going to get anymore money than if he had signed a long term deal.
    (Unless he somehow got a shot and proved himself at playing D...which I'm far from convinced he could do anyways)

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    I bet he is happy.

:
    :
    JK
    ;D

Alls I'm saying.
    I disagree.

[/quote]

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=jmcdon00 link=topic=51649.msg941003#msg941003 date=1240933210]
    I bet he is happy.

:
    :
    JK
    ;D

Alls I'm saying.
    I disagree.

[/quote]

He's a valuable STer, and apparently other NFL teams didn't feel he was cut to play on their D.

My point was simply that he isn't going to be able to play better than in 07, and therefore he isn't going to get anymore money than if he had signed a long term deal.
    (Unless he somehow got a shot and proved himself at playing D...which I'm far from convinced he could do anyways)
    [/quote]
    Tracking.....Think we are on the same page (for once).
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=51649.msg941005#msg941005 date=1240933385]
    I bet he is happy.

:
    :
    JK
    ;D

Alls I'm saying.
    I disagree.

[/quote]

[/quote]

;D
    [/quote]

Yeah, I reread my original post on the matter and got confused myself.
    ;D

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    I bet he is happy.

:
    :
    JK
    ;D

Alls I'm saying.
    I disagree.

[/quote]

[/quote]

;D
    [/quote]
    Yeah but he missed the entire 08 season, I think that is a negative, teams don't want to pay a guy thats not gonna be available when needed. If he performs this year and stays healthy his value will go up. Plus I think there is a good chance that at some point he does play defense this year(injuries), when he gets that opportunity he needs to capitalize. Any time a guy is in the final year of a contract he has plenty of motivation to play his best. Not saying he will every get big money, but if he plays well he will be signed again next year, if he doesn't plays well, or gets injured again he won't get paid next year.
    What is the league minimum for a player of his age and position? I'm guessing less than 1.475 million.

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    [quote author=jmcdon00 link=topic=51649.msg941017#msg941017 date=1240934614]
    I bet he is happy.

:
    :
    JK
    ;D

Alls I'm saying.
    I disagree.

[/quote]

[/quote]

;D
    [/quote]
    Yeah but he missed the entire 08 season, I think that is a negative, teams don't want to pay a guy thats not gonna be available when needed. If he performs this year and stays healthy his value will go up. Plus I think there is a good chance that at some point he does play defense this year(injuries), when he gets that opportunity he needs to capitalize. Any time a guy is in the final year of a contract he has plenty of motivation to play his best. Not saying he will every get big money, but if he plays well he will be signed again next year, if he doesn't plays well, or gets injured again he won't get paid next year.
    What is the league minimum for a player of his age and position? I'm guessing less than 1.475 million.
    [/quote]

nah...I think his minimum salary would be $510,000.
    Significantly above league minimum which is a steal IMO for a special teams ace like he has been.
    Says highest minimum salary is 820K (11 year vet)

Source is from 2007 though.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...ry_for_the_NFL

thatjusthappened28 is offline Asst. Coach

my only question is... who wouldn't be happy to be a Viking?

and have the greatest fans in the world to cheer for you everyday!

thank you Josdin00 for the amazing sig!

and yes... that just happened!

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    [quote author=jmcdon00 link=topic=51649.msg941017#msg941017 date=1240934614]
    I bet he is happy.

:
    :
    JK
    ;D

Alls I'm saying.
    I disagree.

[/quote]

[/quote]

;D
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    I always believe the incumbant (guy with the most reps on the squad) has the leg up as the next in line.

So, having said that, my guess is that our new MLB might get a few reps this year to make sure he is ready to step in if EJ goes down this year and is full up round by next years season alleviating the need to sign Heath to a bigger/multi year contract thus saving the staff/owner some money.

"thatjusthappened28" wrote:
    my only question is... who wouldn't be happy to be a Viking?

and have the greatest fans in the world to cheer for you everyday!
    While I agree with you, there are probably fans from 31 other NFL teams that would say the exact same thing about the team they cheer for.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast