Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Fans shouldn't go overboard on Jackson yet

"davike" wrote:
    This guy is an idiot. Who is going "overboard" on Jackson? No one is saying he is the next Manning or Brady yet. All the Vikings fans that I know are simply happy that he is showing improvement and isn't turning the ball over. They are happy that he is showing he just mightg be our QB of the future.

I am not going overboard on him, I think he has taken a big step in his development this season, and I think he is doing a good job right now. He isn't turning the ball over and he is getting some first downs with his arm and legs. He isn't putting up big numbers but he is completing passes and the others seem to be more confident with him back there taking snaps than any other QB we have which is important. He is doing a good job managing games and not making mistakes until he reaches the point where he can take this team on his shoulders and make big plays himself. If he continues to simply do what he has been doing it will be much easier to watch the Vikes play while he is developing.

At this point its just exciting to see some really good improvement in him and I think we have a right to be a bit "giddy"
    Saved me a bit of typing.
    About sums up my feelings on this.

The only thing I'll add is that as long as the 2-headed monster (Peterson and Taylor) continue to confound Defenses, Jackson doesn't NEED to take the team on his shoulders and win it by himself.
    The running game will force defenses to try and stop it, and the throwing game will open up as a result.

Maybe once those receivers of ours develop a bit more - and we add a souple more solid ones to the mix - we can look for more passing production from Jackson.
    But, until then, he should continue to grow within the framework of what we DO have.

Caine

ballhog27 is offline Rookie

I stated this in another rant but I don't believe we can clearly say a QB on the Vikings is good or bad. We have no Wide receivers and the ones we do have are young or third options. If we had a veteran reciever like a Cris Carter or Keyshawn Johnson we could actually decide if we have a decent QB. Until then, we may never know exactly how good Jackson is at the spot.
    "Show me a good and gracious loser and I'll show you a failure."
    - Knute Rockne

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"davike" wrote:

This guy is an idiot. Who is going "overboard" on Jackson? No one is saying he is the next Manning or Brady yet.
    I swear someone refered to him as "Purple Moses" this year.
    :P

Last year some were calling him "The Messiah"

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:

This guy is an idiot. Who is going "overboard" on Jackson? No one is saying he is the next Manning or Brady yet.

I thought that was Chester Taylor

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:

LOL! You mean someone actually used the term? I was just making a funny. (Note the
    :P)

The 2nd part of my post is a true statement though. I can't find that picture they posted though. I think it had T-Jack, Jesus & Moss in it.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:

LOL! You mean someone actually used the term? I was just making a funny. (Note the
    :P)

The 2nd part of my post is a true statement though. I can't find that picture they posted though. I think it had T-Jack, Jesus & Moss in it.
    I think that's what Zeus calls him

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Future column by Reusse:

OK, Now It's Time to Go Overboard on Jackon!

by Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune Sports Stud

Clear the decks! Everybody abandon ship! Tarvaris Jackson has a 149.4 quarterback rating, twenty touchdown passes, and five rushing touchdowns in the last three games. It is now time to go overboard on my man from Alabama State........

/satire

Seriously, TJack has the potential to become another Steve Young, except with fewer rough years as Young had in Tampa. TJack has a good distance to go before he reaches the level of Steve Young, but he is on that road. We'll be cheering for TJack.

Go Vikings!

purplepowered is offline Pro-Bowler

Caine and Ballhog hit right where I feel he is right where he should be developing on schedule and with the 2 headed montor and not having a hot reicever we are using as a go to reicever like moss or carter like , even tho rice is coming along, He i think will be a good QB in the league. Give him time because I know we will be chearing loud MNF!
    I am THE #1 Sidney Rice #18 Fan ever! Don't Be surprised when this kid IS a superstar! He is humble, smart, tough, talented and has alot of character! Takes alot of pride in his work, team, fans and life. Watch out for this kid! I think he is awesome! Everytime he touches the ball its MAGIC!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"hx38596" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    He has had a few good games and will probably have some real bad ones as coodinators get more film on him and start to exploit his tendencies. The real test will be whether he can overcome that stage of his progression and continue to improve.
    I don't know about that.
    It's not a real complicated system going on.
    He excels when their D is trying to stop the run.
    Slants, (on safety creeps ups and cb blitzes) and curls/crossing routes (on LB run blitzs), are open against a team defending against the run.
    The way to defend against Tjack's 'tendencies' is to defend basic pass routes and hope your front 4 and LB's can handle AD and company.
    We are in very good shape b/c Tjack is completing the most basic of schemes which is all he needs to do for the Vikes to be competitive.

The first half of the season would've gone way different if Tjack was playing similarly to now...
    Nothing real fancy or Romo/Favre-like, just no pics and complete a pass to an open receiver b/c they are stacked against the run.
    We have also had the luxury of playing ahead for most of that time and so we have not had to rely on TJ throwing because the defense has been scoring and giving us good field position. We now have taken a hit at a few positions on Defense that has hurt our depth and that is something that has the potential to put us in a position where we NEED to pass to win and that is not something that TJ has run into yet and also something that he has yet to prove he can do. Now I am not saying that he won't be able to, but I am saying that it would be perfectly normal for him to struggle in that type of situation and that is when his tendencies will be more vulnerable.

If we play with the lead all the way through the super bowl you might be absolutely right.

PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer

"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    as a fan it is my job to go overboard and i will fulfill my duty
    Stallone agrees.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast