Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Fans shouldn't go overboard on Jackson yet

[size=13pt]Patrick Reusse: Fans shouldn't go overboard on Jackson yet[/size]

Before we call the quarterback a franchise savior, he needs to show us completions under more difficult circumstances.

By Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune

Last update: December 14, 2007 - 8:33 PM

The Vikings cruised to a 27-7 victory over San Francisco last Sunday, and the quarterback rating (95.9) made it look as though they received another effective performance from young Tarvaris Jackson............

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Fans shouldn't go overboard on Jackson yet

*jumps off bandwagon*

.....Chillies an idiot and should have gotten garcia! Ooohhhh doom and gloom and woe is me.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Patrick Reusse sucks dog P.meow... Tarvaris and the Vikings played smart NFL football the second half of that 9er game. With a 27 point lead they played safe percentage football. They didn't force anything that wasn't there, and T-Jack checked down to shorter routes. It is NOT a crime to punt, and try to play field position. We are a rush first team, and Tarvaris is coming along nicely. Those who expect to see Brady or a Manning type QB play, simply don't watch Viking football, or understand our style.

as a fan it is my job to go overboard and i will fulfill my duty

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Still, it was an unimpressive second half. Jackson was 6-for-9 for 48 yards. He threw for two first downs. Three other times, he threw well short of the first-down marker on third down -- the same approach that drove Purple followers nuts during the first 25 games (9-16) of the Childress tenure.
    I think the 2nd half was excuted well.
    Jackson did not throw any passes that were stupid, yes, they were short of the markers 4 of the 6 completions, and the 3-and-outs were slightly mind numbing... but thats not what matters.
    He was taking what the defense gave him and dumped it off short to at least pick up a couple yards, rather than tossing it down field in a tight spot where we could have risked a turn over.

If we weren't up by 20 points and felt like we needed to seal the game, there would have been longer passes, more aggressive play calling, etc.
    But it simply wasn't needed The game was over in the 1st quarter.

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

purplepowered is offline Pro-Bowler

Pat Ruese is a carp head. he s just another reporter steaming at the head to say hey I cant dig up anything more on this kid what can i say now! F#CK HIM! He can below me TJack and Chilly , and especially Tjack gets my credit. He is doing a great job executing the offense well, no to's the whole group working together without the pleyers getting hungup on themselves taking the time they need to jell is al it takes and it s working. I am doing my duty GO TJACK YOU ARE MY MAN GARCIA DUCKS WAD that is y he isnt signed to a long term contract huh! Go elsewhere Patrick Ruses you dont deserve to live in Minnesota you I swear hate min teams go follow the next SB champs, MLB champs, etc YOU, My MAN SUCK!
    I am THE #1 Sidney Rice #18 Fan ever! Don't Be surprised when this kid IS a superstar! He is humble, smart, tough, talented and has alot of character! Takes alot of pride in his work, team, fans and life. Watch out for this kid! I think he is awesome! Everytime he touches the ball its MAGIC!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

He has had a few good games and will probably have some real bad ones as coodinators get more film on him and start to exploit his tendencies. The real test will be whether he can overcome that stage of his progression and continue to improve.

davike is offline Team Alumni

This guy is an idiot. Who is going "overboard" on Jackson? No one is saying he is the next Manning or Brady yet. All the Vikings fans that I know are simply happy that he is showing improvement and isn't turning the ball over. They are happy that he is showing he just mightg be our QB of the future.

I am not going overboard on him, I think he has taken a big step in his development this season, and I think he is doing a good job right now. He isn't turning the ball over and he is getting some first downs with his arm and legs. He isn't putting up big numbers but he is completing passes and the others seem to be more confident with him back there taking snaps than any other QB we have which is important. He is doing a good job managing games and not making mistakes until he reaches the point where he can take this team on his shoulders and make big plays himself. If he continues to simply do what he has been doing it will be much easier to watch the Vikes play while he is developing.

At this point its just exciting to see some really good improvement in him and I think we have a right to be a bit "giddy"

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Big C is offline Coordinator

This guys a moron. TJ is playing well and within the game plan. There was no need to score more points in the second half because our defense was over whelming their offense. It was a great game plan. The lions on the other hand are a high powere offense so we needed to gameplan to score as much as possible to give our defense some breathing room. Plain and simple. TJ is no manning or barady but he is a hell of a lot better (since the Packer game) than Bollinger, Holcomb, and Johnson.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

hx38596 is offline Pro-Bowler

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    He has had a few good games and will probably have some real bad ones as coodinators get more film on him and start to exploit his tendencies. The real test will be whether he can overcome that stage of his progression and continue to improve.
    I don't know about that.
    It's not a real complicated system going on.
    He excels when their D is trying to stop the run.
    Slants, (on safety creeps ups and cb blitzes) and curls/crossing routes (on LB run blitzs), are open against a team defending against the run.
    The way to defend against Tjack's 'tendencies' is to defend basic pass routes and hope your front 4 and LB's can handle AD and company.
    We are in very good shape b/c Tjack is completing the most basic of schemes which is all he needs to do for the Vikes to be competitive.

The first half of the season would've gone way different if Tjack was playing similarly to now...
    Nothing real fancy or Romo/Favre-like, just no pics and complete a pass to an open receiver b/c they are stacked against the run.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast